Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

adapting and overcoming

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adapting and overcoming

so this has 0 to with motorcycles but im sure most of you will appreciate this ingenuity. so this last weekend i went up and visited the family and went out skiing with the family. my step dad has a bahner with a pretty stout Chevy SB 350. Bad *** boat. but any ways, so were about 3 mi's out of the marina or so and i hear snap snap...step dad hears it too.."hey adam what was that..i don't know im thinking it could of been the belt" so we stop pop her open and the damn belt that runs the alternator and water pump just shreded.. damn this is gonna suck some choice words are muttered and i tell my step dad im sure we can figure something out..then he says ya know i just read an article just by chance while i wwas waiting for my dad the other day..so he grabs some rope and proceeds to try and tie a knot around the pulley's he cant really get the knot and since i know a **** ton of knots (ohrah Marine corps) he asks me to help..but it was a nylon rope and even a self tensioning knott wouldnt hold. so my mom takes the draw string out of her shorts and gives it to me. i got a good knott (simple square knot) pretty tight but couldnt get saftys in it..so it lasted about 5 min and the knot snaped. then my brother gave me his shoe lace..worked like a charm. tied a square knot with two saftys and another square knott ontop of it. (super simple knotts) and that **** limped us in and we got a new belt and had a kick *** day on the water..

Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: adapting and overcoming

glad it worked out

Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 AM

Shoelaces!? I've never heard of anything like that before. I guess I'm not as much of a redneck as I thought I was.. although since we don't have any lakes nearby I've been matress surfing out in a field using an old chevy before so I think I can still hold the title, barely. Whenever I break a belt I just think.."Well, f$#%k!" neat stuff, hope you had fun out on the lake.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 AM
RCR

Mcgyver would of caught a fish pulled out it's guts let them dry and then braided them into a belt that would out last your shoe lace!

Good job though most people would of limped it back in and overheat their engine.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love ingenuity.

Once, I helped someone get a dead car running with a match. He was a pizza delivery driver and he said his car died. So I ran out to his location (the edge of the delivery area) and checked his car out. Turning the key didn't do a thing, yet his lights were on. So I opened his fuse box and had a look. I touched one of the fuses and I heard a click. So I took a fuse out and looked at the connections, the connections were bent on one side. Apparently he had just removed this compass that was hooked into the fuses. I asked him for a match (he was a smoker) and I used the match stick to wedge the fuse in place and cut off the sulfur. It started right up (and lasted 3 yrs before the car was totaled in an accident.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Banned

What a coincidence! My bike chain broke the other day, and I replaced it with chest hairs that I individually plucked and knotted together.

Seriously though, nice thinkin. My personal favorite ghetto fixes were using a piece of folder paper to fix a broken window control in my car, using a piece of a coat hanger to fix the pivotting R2 button on my PS3 controller after I smashed it playing NHL '08 (I found every piece except that rod and rebuilt the entire thing using a good controller as my guide), and using chewing gum to attach a wrist band to get an underager into a club.

Don't ya love it when things just work?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Good work man! Made a bad situation a lot better than most would have.