Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which should I go for based on value and desirability
600RR
57.14%
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

600rr vs 954

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 600rr vs 954

Guys, I need some advice. I've been looking for deals on CL to make some quick flips and make some money. But as these are newer bikes - instead of buying both of them, I need to limit to just one.

I'm down between two bikes. They both cost the same amount of money and need the same amount of work. Which one should I choose. I don't care about riding them (because I'm going to be selling them). Which one do you think I could unload quicker and which one would bring more money?

Bike 1: 600rr

Bike 2: 954

Last edited by Conrice; 09-17-2013 at 07:53 PM.
                            Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
                            Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
                            Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I would think that a 600rr would be an easier sale for top dollar.

Besides, you know you would want to keep the 954...

Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 PM
                            Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the 954 if you can a clean and clear title in two weeks. If its a salvage title that your gonna receive then go with the clean title on the six.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
                            Get the 954 if you can get a clean and clear title in two weeks. If its a salvage title that your gonna receive then go with the clean title on the six.
                            to me the clean titles seem to sell faster.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
                            I would think that a 600rr would be an easier sale for top dollar.

Besides, you know you would want to keep the 954...
                            That's what I thought. But I'll be honest, the PC'd red is a little bit stand-off-ish. It grows on you, but at first glance I kept thinking to myself "what the hell was he thinking?". And since the 600rr is mostly together already - I wouldn't want to take it apart, and re-do anything which would eat into my margins. But it is the nice model, you know? It has the USD's, the work he has done to the bike does seem to be top notch, and I think on the whole, it's probably worth more model vs model.

I just worry about the red... do you think that would dis-interest you at all? I mean, it's BRIGHT red on the frame, swing arm, rims, pegs, top tree, M/C, bolts, etc. (the 954 has a flake green paint job though (not as bright or "loud" - so maybe it's a wash?)

Originally Posted by cBrentb
                            to me the clean titles seem to sell faster.
                            Totally agree. I wouldn't touch it unless it was a clean title - it seems even a salvage title brings the value down substantially - and surprisingly (or not so), they want a ton of money for a clean titled frame - which kind of rules out a frame swap.

I wouldn't touch the thing if it had no title.

But since the title would take a few weeks, do you guys think I could possibly buy the RR, and flip it within a couple of weeks? Then buy the 954 once he gets the title figured out a few weeks from now?

I don't know. If one was clearly better than the other - I'd go for it.

I guess another pro about the '54 is that I know them inside and out. And I have some parts lying around (stock dog bones, exhaust can, etc.)

Last edited by Conrice; 09-17-2013 at 10:14 PM.
                            Old 09-18-2013, 02:42 AM
                            Track junkie & modaholic

I think, even with the red, the 600rr will be easy to sell. Its an rr and the 05-06 has a bit more of a following than the rest. However, the 954 has a much bigger following almost a cult and they are hard to find in great condition and I think you of all people can get it running the tops quick. And then I would think it would get snatched up quick. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 AM
                            Welcome Crew
                            Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its kinda a wash either way. The 6 may go faster. The red wont really put off too many ppl. Some, yes, but alot of younger, newer riders, they want purty and different. Same for the 54. Flake kinda goes towards a certain rider. Methinks, this is just me now, the 54 can bring more, seeing as how they are getting harder to find in decent shape.
                            Personally, I'd look at what needs replaced on each and add up a total. Take the extra parts I have laying around that can be applied to either, and subtract that cause I already paid for those once. Then see if the totals are still negligent. In my looking around, 600s are easier to find then 54s. How quick you wanna make money? All things being equal, you may have to sit on your purchase for a longer period then you expect. So that being said, after total cost involved, total anticipated asking price you should have your expected profit. Now consider you may get your expected profit, but not for x amount of months. Which one would you prefer to have sitting in the garage? Which one would you feel more comfortable maintaining in worst case scenario?
                            I only mention these things cause I have done the same thing, except with cars. I have ended up sitting on vehicles for 6-9 months longer than anticipated and had to maintain them. Drive em etc. All that adds up and eats into profits.
                            Sorry for the long winded post. Just food for thought

Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Fellas, I bought the 600rr.

It's so much nicer than in the pictures, the powder coat is darker (not near as bright) and the matte black fairings are actually bed liner. I've seen it done before on the net, but never in person, and I'll tell you that it's a really nice looking color to do on the fairings.

It has a GPR stabilizer, aftermarket exhaust. But for some reason, the guy liked the 03-04 tail and top fairing better... so he put those on it.

I thought I was having an issue with the shift rod. How much play should it have in and out? And what would cause it to have more play? I know there is a spring on the otherside behind the clutch. Could that need replacing? It was all the way in, and the bike was making a weird little tick - and it wouldn't shift. If I pulled the lever out, the tick went away, and it shifted smooth as butter.

That's really all I need to fix on it. I need to get a windscreen for it, an air intake fairing for it, and I need to wire up turn signals, but other than that, it's good to go. I'll post some pictures of it later. Thanks in advance about the tranny issue, and thanks for all of the input.

You wouldn't believe the novel I could tell you about what happened to me during the 150 mile trip to get the bike though. It was out of a movie. But, I made it home safe, with the bike - that's all that matters. (I took me 15 hours - I'll put it that way).

I'll throw up some pictures in a bit.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.
                            Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Name:  IMG_7885_zpsd1f31177.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7887_zpsc6b799eb.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7884_zps918cf74e.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7882_zps6db2ee5b.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  77.9 KB

Don't flame me for the grips and the levers - I would have never put those on.

And I thought that I would shoot the bike in a way that would make the red look how it does in person - but I can't. It's a lot darker. (I actually think it looks good in person - but I think the pictures look horrible) Oh well, it's not bad for 2 grand. It has the pillion cover, rear seat, front brake calipers (they're PC'd as well).

Can't figure out what to do about the fairings though. The tail is definitely 03-04, and so is the nose. The nose is fitted correctly, but the tail - I'm not sure it can fit correctly (and I've read that you need the generation's subframe for the same tail fairing). It's sits funny on the tail, about 1/2 in. above the mounting tabs for it.

Any of you 600rr guys can enlighten me about it - I'd appreciate it. I need to know how to differentiate between the two generations' subframes.

Oh - and the gauge does this weird thing with the tach. In the picture that I showed, it looks normal, but then if I were to turn it on again, the tach stops and sits at 16k and acts like that is 0 rpms. If I turn it off and turn it on again, it does the same - only at 8k rpms. And then if I turn it off and on again after that, it goes back to 0 rpms and reads normally. Any ideas?

Last edited by Conrice; 09-24-2013 at 05:06 PM.