Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

600rr purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600rr purchase...

Okay all, im new to the forum and have seen a few comments about "noobs" getting a 600rr for a first bike. Now I guess this is grounds for a flaming but here it is; I just bought an 03 600rr that was badly wrecked. First street bike ive owned. About the only original pieces are the motor and wheels, brand new factory frame, subframe, new 05 fairings... everything. Had the factory service manual, so I went through the boxes, and over the last week, ive been non stop building this thing, and now, shes done, by the service manual to a "T". Ive rebuilt bikes before, so this was pretty easy, just went slow and checked and double checked everything.Had dirt bikes since I could walk, atvs, and ridden friends bikes off and on since I was 16. Got a smoking deal on the bike, 3000 miles on the motor. Paid $3400 ( about what I could afford for a bike ). Ive read all the reviews and performance numbers and realize this thing is going to be pretty brutally fast. So I guess id like to hear the other comments as to why this is a bad idea for a rookie, other than the obvious, or is that pretty much it? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 PM
VP
Default RE: 600rr purchase...

well firstly you should've bought a 1000! a 600 isn't gonna be nearly fast enough for what you need...[sm=joke.gif]

Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 AM

Im no pro by far, but I have plenty of self control and common sense, I know the guy who originally had the bike, wrecked it 4 days after buying it ( first bike for him also )

Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Banned

realize this thing is going to be pretty brutally fast
Yup, be careful of both the brakes and throttle. Since you are there already, your 600RR is doable as a first roade bike, but you really have to keep you head in the game. Practice emergency stops alot. Welcome to the site.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 AM

i believe if you have the ability to build it up then you should no problem.... the key is that your in control and to not give in to that evil devil in your head telling you to go full throttle.. i still cant get that voice out my head lol. have fun with it and be safe

Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 AM

I dont have a riding jacket or Pants yet so I havent been riding other than on my long paved driveway ( with helmet), but I cant believe how touchy the brakes are. Back tires comes up pretty damn easily. I have 650ft of private drive so ill be doing some practice stopping there. Good advice from all.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nah u did the right thing killa take it easy and itll come to you, smart to buy a banged up one, +1

Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 AM

haha, well it has a clear title and everything is brand new, so it looks like its brand new, not my ideal first ride to own, but hell, the price was right!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:40 AM

Since you built it from the ground up basically, you'll have more respect and appreciation of it to help keep you safe (as far as not doing stupid clowny stuff on it)
You're starting off the right way and should do well on it since you're taking it slow and getting a feel for things. The RR's, ZX's R6 etc etc usually don't make the best first bikes because of the whole geometry setup of fork rake and overall twitchy handling. If you look at it wrong it could land you in a world of hurt basically.
Best advice is be smooth on throttle, brakes and steering input. Go buy and read Twist of the Wrist Volume 2 (vol 1 is more race oriented) by Keith Code.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've ridden before, therefore, you are not a newb. The newbs we speak of are ones COMPLETELY new to riding altogether. THOSE are the people we flame for wanting a 600RR or 1000RR as their very first "I've never ridden before, and now I want to be a Valentino Rossi" sport bike.

You'll be fine on a 600RR. Just respect it, and learn it first. But you've ridden before, so you don't worry me. It's the thick-headed ones that start stunting after riding for 2 weeks that worry me.

Quick Reply: 600rr purchase...