Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

600 deters theft.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 600 deters theft.

So at my apartment there are about 10 bikes. A few 600s and some bigger. Well last night a uhaul truck came through and stole all bikes over 600 and they did this around other apartments as well. the crazy thing is my bike was parked next to a 600 and a R1. The R1 was stolen. Its scary to think a guy/girl may have looked at my bike and said hey what about that one?

I will be buying a caliper lock, and huge chain today. Next month i will get my scorpio or lojack.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

err... you're letting your new bike sit in an apartment parking lot without any security?!?

Mine is behind a locked fence with razorwire, alarmed and chained anyways to my f3

Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LowJack is a scam for bikes; you do NOT want that bike back after it's been lifted and thrown into a truck, and had God knows what done to it before the cops got there. File your insurance claim, and put the check towards a new bike.

Disc locks don't help with lifters; they're physically picking your bike up off the ground and walking it into a truck. I even have a Xena alarmed disc lock that I still don't think is that great. The three best security measures I take are parking it in a well-lit area, keeping a cover on it at all times, and locking the frame to the light post with a carbon fiber chain.

You should team up with one of the other riders there and chain your bikes to each other. Can you imagine having to walk TWO bikes into a truck simultaneously? Not happening.

But, yeah, the sub-1L bikes have a WAY lower theft rate. One of the big reasons for this is the thieves will sell the bikes on the race circuit for next to nothing, to people who will never take it on the street, and thus never, ever have to present any proof of ownership (title, registration, etc).

Last edited by johnnyx; 04-29-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Disc locks don't help with lifters; they're physically picking your bike up off the ground and walking it into a truck. .
that is a fact...peeps ride thru the complexes around here in a van, i saw a security cam footage that showed a van pull up to a bike and it took two guys less than 40 seconds to jump out and threw it in the slide door and took off, no tag, nothin just a white van...

Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...And that is why my bike lives in my apartment with me.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Yup.. mine stays across town in a friends locked garage instead of in my complx with me.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bambam
threw it in the slide door and took off

That's what I mean with the LoJack. Do you want your bike back after it was literally thrown onto the floor of a van which was then driven in a very hasty manner for several miles? I wouldn't.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
That's what I mean with the LoJack. Do you want your bike back after it was literally thrown onto the floor of a van which was then driven in a very hasty manner for several miles? I wouldn't.
totally agree bro, to be honest, i dont want my car,truck,boat,bike back after it was molested and ragged out, i take good care of all my chit, so it wood be a 8itch to get my stuff back ruined. Ill take a check, even if it barely covers the cost.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you guys. That's what comprehensive insurance is for. That little deductible is well worth the peace of mind you get from a check and a new motorcycle. Can't imagine trying to find all the gremlins hiding in a stolen/wrecked/abused bike...

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM

a buddy had his car stolen a while back, they found it and he got it back. i sat in it, the windows were spry painted black, wires hangin out the dash and so on. It wasn't even my car and it made me feel violated! matbe cuz i helped him work on it and stuff but still, if my stuff gets stolen i don't want it back either! i don't even wanna see my stuff after i sold it. No matter what the buyer or thief does to it, its ruined in my eyes! Just cut me a check and i'll find another toy!

Quick Reply: 600 deters theft.