Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

35 mph over = NO TICKET?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 mph over = NO TICKET?!?

OK HERE'S THE STORY: This past weekend I was riding along a state highway (Michigan Rte. 65 SW of Alpena) when I came upon a nice little passing lane. Seeing as though I had been tailing a small group of cars (4 or 5) and the terrain wasn't all that suitable for passing, I figured this would be my opportunity to make a move on them. Well as I was passing them I came up and over a hill and BAM, there's a state boy sitting along the oncoming shoulder and looking straight at me. I looked down at the speedo and she read somewhere between 85 and 90 (my heart was pounding too much to remember the exact digits). I said to myself "Damn, what a way to start the weekend" as I got off the throttle and backed it down to about 70. Well wouldn'tcha know, he stayed right there and didn't budge an inch - so I kept on listening to Metallica on the mp3 player and got the hell outta there.

Now I've got a question for everyone: Is it at all possible that seeing as though I was next to a group of larger vehicles that his radar couldn't "see" the bike? I mean, I've passed semi's going about 20 over and the cop never pulled out then either. So am I just lucky or could the radar have just picked up the cages and not the bike?

Anyone have similar experience(s)?

Old 05-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Default RE: 35 mph over = NO TICKET?!?

I've always wondered that. If you are by a bunch of bigger vehicles if it is harder to radar you on your bike? Somebody has to be a police officer, or know one to ask haha.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:00 PM

I know a lot of police officers but I dont know the answer to the question about radar. But I do know from talking to all of them that most cops don't bother with bikes unless you're doin somethin real stupid. I dont know why, but they just kind of turn their head the other way.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:08 PM

Radar typically chooses the fastest of two moving objects, assuming that the angle is available to detect both objects. It could be possible that the angle, and timing, was such that your bike was "hidden" by the larger vehicle.

However, the above is assuming that the officer was really running radar, and not jerking off or getting a special "thank you" from another motorist. In all seriousness, there could be a large number of reasons he decided not to attempt the stop. Just be glad that you didn't get a citation.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Is it at all possible that seeing as though I was next to a group of larger vehicles that his radar couldn't "see" the bike?
Yes.

My guess is that what the radar sees is the return of the object with the the biggest return being a function of distance and radar cross section. The cross section is a function of materials, coatings, shapes, and orientation. For the most part, the radiator, lights, and the license plate are the biggest return. On a bike, there aren't many vertical surfaces, most of the microwaves are directed towards mars. A truck is like a big radar mirror.

I'm not a cop, but I've worked with certain military coatings, so I may not be 100% accurate or explaining it the right way.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Is it at all possible that seeing as though I was next to a group of larger vehicles that his radar couldn't "see" the bike?
Yes.

My guess is that what the radar sees is the return of the object with the the biggest return being a function of distance and radar cross section. The cross section is a function of materials, coatings, shapes, and orientation. For the most part, the radiator, lights, and the license plate are the biggest return. On a bike, there aren't many vertical surfaces, most of the microwaves are directed towards mars. A truck is like a big radar mirror.

I'm not a cop, but I've worked with certain military coatings, so I may not be 100% accurate or explaining it the right way.

[sm=WTFsgign.gif] [sm=ts.gif]

Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 PM

Speed enforcement radar does NOT work like the radar used by the military.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:34 PM

I know a few police officers and they talked about how most times they don't bother chasing a bike. If you are nice enough to pull over they usually don't write too many citations...and if you don't, they really can't catch you anyways. So for the most part they told me they don't bother.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:02 PM

if he saw you slow down sometimes they dont bother. I've was doin 80 in a 65 nobody around went under an overpass saw an officer in my mirror hiding, but he never came after me, i never slowed. Just be thankful you got to start the weekend off right.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 PM

you probably just got lucky or something. He was probably doing paper work or wasnt running radar at the moment. Most cops now use Lazer instead of radar because it's more accurate and it can pick things up from as far as you can see. I've played with the lazer gun and it picks up bikes and everything and anything you aim it at. Dont thing cops wont chase you at all, they can always radio in for air support and follow you until you came to a stop and take you down.

Quick Reply: 35 mph over = NO TICKET?!?