Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

21 Year old looking for his First Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd84
If you learn how to corner on a ninja 250 well then you will be years ahead of most people. They can carry lots of speed through corners when done right. I bought one when I talked both my friends into them. I liked riding it but the ergo's were killing me 6'1" 200lbs.

CBR's just aren't good starter bikes. If you are bigger and can't fit well on a 250 then get a gs500 or the ninja 500. Maybe a older sv or something. The thing is 250's are easy to buy and sell for a profit also.

Not a shot just a fact if you get a 250 then say it isn't enough and hop on the F4i and break your leg then you should have learned throttle control and such on the 250. I read the story and I am sorry you broke your leg but you wouldn't have done that on a 250 doing what you did.
As I've said before, I totally accept that inexperience (and a bit of bike fitment) is what caused my "accident". However, I disagree that I wouldn't have hurt myself on the 250. The new 250s weigh more than my f4i and are just as big; even the 03 I have isn't much lighter. I can point you to threads on the ninja 250 forums where noobs have broken collarbones, flipped on highways, and done much worse damage than I did.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Elfling, I agree totally. I did the same thing. Clutch slipped on a turn my 4th day of riding the F3. I low-sided with my leg under the bike, and all I got was a bruised hip and shoulder, a dinged helmet, and a busted up boot. Higher bike performance does not alwasy increase injuries.

I was going about 4mph when this happened. There's no difference between learnign on an F3 and anything else. Either way, you're learning to go eeaasssyyy on the throttle, eeaaasssy on the brakes, eeeassssy on the clutch, the only difference is the F3 just requires more eeeaaasssy, lest it jumps out form under you. If it's the first bike you're learning on, then you're learning THAT level of eeeasssy right off the bat. I posit that the supersports may even be a better choice for first-timers, as you've got performance brakes, clutch, etc that are made to handle the rigors of very high speeds, which are similar to the rigors of a noob beating on them constantly. <500 sports bikes make cool upgrades for kids who grew up in the motorcross \ dirtbike scene, where you're constantly crank down on the throttle, then hitting the branks, then clutch, over and over and over, but there's nothing wrong with a supersport as a first bike in general.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-19-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Tell you what though, I'm glad I changed my mind from my original plan of learning on my boyfriend's new gixxer 600. That thing takes off like craazy, I would have killed myself.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Elfling
Tell you what though, I'm glad I changed my mind from my original plan of learning on my boyfriend's new gixxer 600. That thing takes off like craazy, I would have killed myself.

That's like the third time this week I've heard "I've had both and the CBR is a way nicer ride" to some extent.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned
Talking

i agree i had a gixxer 750, and hated it after 2 or 3 months. I sold it and got a new cbr 600rr

Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
There's no difference between learnign on an F3 and anything else. Either way, you're learning to go eeaasssyyy on the throttle, eeaaasssy on the brakes, eeeassssy on the clutch, the only difference is the F3 just requires more eeeaaasssy, lest it jumps out form under you.
You said it yourself, there is a difference. While I would admit that a 600 isn't death on wheels provided you keep the rev's down, the fact is there is a difference and the point that accidentally dumping the clutch on a 600 and on a 250 is different experience is a valid one.

A handfull of throttle on a 250 and 600 is WAY different, with the 600 being more unforgiving. Do what you wish, but you can't argue that it's not.

Yes you can crash on a 250, but you can also make mistakes that you can't afford to on a 600.

Originally Posted by johnnyx
I posit that the supersports may even be a better choice for first-timers, as you've got performance brakes, clutch, etc that are made to handle the rigors of very high speeds, which are similar to the rigors of a noob beating on them constantly.
That is absolutely asinine on so many levels. A noob doesn't NEED performance brakes or a clutch or even that high of speeds. And to top it off, to assert that the Ninja "brakes, clutch etc" aren't competent for just about any rider is even more nuts. If a noob is doing anything that requires 100% of a sportbikes braking, he/she is doing it very wrong.

Go to ANY other country and look at the bikes, they're going to be slower bikes ridden much more competently and safer. Only in America are people convinced that you need 600+cc's to get from point A to point B, and most who buy them (myself included) aren't using them anywhere near max potential.

Also, google the specs an F3+ is not noticably slower than any new GSXR.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:41 PM

I really don't follow how you gathered ANY of that from what I was saying. What you're claiming I said is, in fact, asinine.

To clarify: If you learn to ride an F3, then you know how to ride an F3. If you first learn to ride a 250, then you do not know how to ride an F3. I specified that there was no difference in THE LEARNING PROCESS, I made no claims as to differences in the bikes, of which we both know there are many. A handful of throttle is one of the key differences between the two bikes, but when you learned on an F3, you learned to never give it a handful in the first place.

Everything else you stated in response to that quote is in accordance with what I'm saying, so we agree on all of that.

Re: the second quote: I never said they NEED it. I said performance bikes can handle the rigors of beginners who are not very forgiving to the equipment, regardless of speed. How many times does a beginner stall the bike because they let the clutch out too fast from a dead stop? PLENTY. How often to they misjudge their stopping distance, and subsequently have to lay hard on the brakes to stop in time, regardless of speed? QUITE. Of course, we're all different. Many people get the hang of it on day one, and never have much issue beyond that, but we're talking on average, here.

Re: The America thing: Totally. "Bigger is Better" is this country's motto, in all aspects. fast bikes, HUGE trucks, Super Sized fries. We're even trying to get ourselves out of debt by increasing our debt. . .

And fiiiinally: Re: the gixer: Again, I never made any claims on speed. I said the F3 was "a nicer ride," which is pretty noncomittal.

I'm not saying a 250 is a ****ty beginner bike. It's a GREAT beginner bike. If you're choosing for a new rider, and you have both options, go with the 250. What I'm saying is that just because the 600 is the worst choice of the two, it does not automatically make it a "bad beginner bike."

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

I think too there's some difference between an f3/4 and a 600RR. A seven year old 600 engine bike is going to be vastly different from a 2 year old 600 engine.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Elfling
I think too there's some difference between an f3/4 and a 600RR. A seven year old 600 engine bike is going to be vastly different from a 2 year old 600 engine.

Without question. You have the massive fuel-injection changeover. This provides noticable improvement in acceleration, regarding both speed and smoothness. They're like butta!

Quick Reply: 21 Year old looking for his First Bike!