Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

21 Year old looking for his First Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to add to what cman said about gear- here's what I laid out for a first bike:

3k for the bike
~1k in new tires/brakes/etc
500ish in gear
200ish for the MSF course/tags and title fees

That's the f4i of course. My *technical* first bike was an 03 Ninja 250- I paid 1400 for that and only put in a little time cleaning it up/doing an oil change, that sort of thing.

Last edited by Elfling; 06-18-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by freeridstylee
Also the 08 and newer ninja 250s are still carberated (in the US). And the older ones are faster then the newer ones, although they are ugly as all hell.
Oh are they! For some reason I was thinking they were FI. I also just don't like the way they handle- once I got the f4i cornering snapped into place for me where it didn't on the Ninja.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I enjoyed riding my 06 250 for what it was, a nice easy to ride light bike that could get me anywhere i needed to go.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Elfling
Oh are they! For some reason I was thinking they were FI. I also just don't like the way they handle- once I got the f4i cornering snapped into place for me where it didn't on the Ninja.

Yea same for me, I think it was that the shape/size of the back tire on the ninja that made it harder to corner on a steeper angle, but wtf do I know (big noob here). Also I'm not ******* on the 250, if I wanted to get a commuter bike (no freeways) it would be perfect. I was just looking for something sportier.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by freeridstylee
Yea same for me, I think it was that the shape/size of the back tire on the ninja that made it harder to corner on a steeper angle, but wtf do I know (big noob here). Also I'm not ******* on the 250, if I wanted to get a commuter bike (no freeways) it would be perfect. I was just looking for something sportier.
Yerp. I'm not going to knock it for what it is- I rode mine for a month or so before trading up. We're still debating keeping it for a track bike or something.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM

Here's my "first bike" layout, just did it in March:

2k for the bike (though he was asking 3k)

~$500 in new tire/brakes/filters/carb parts/etc

$700ish in gear (Honestly, I buy the more expensive stuff for the look and fit. It's not necessry to spend that much. If you race cars, you probably already have a good helmet and jacket ***I HOPE.***)

200ish for the MSF course/tags and title fees

If you're going to race, anticipate another $1k in upgrades, assuming you're doing them yourself. That's one of the best parts about bikes: performance parts are cheap as hell.

And seriously, wear your gear. Nobody admires those ****s who ride around in flip-flops and no helmets. That's the quickest way to spot a douche who just bought a bike so he could look cool. Nobody looks cool in flip-flops.

Elfling, however, has one bad-*** pink boot she's been trotting around in lately.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-18-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

get a 600 you will want too sell a 250 or anything smaller a month after you ride... get a 600 and start slow.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by tkrizzy
get a 600 you will want too sell a 250 or anything smaller a month after you ride... get a 600 and start slow.
I agree, if your going to go small ya might as well get a Moped. But if you already now the Mechanics of riding a motorcycle, go with at least a 5 or 600, you'll appreciate it more.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you learn how to corner on a ninja 250 well then you will be years ahead of most people. They can carry lots of speed through corners when done right. I bought one when I talked both my friends into them. I liked riding it but the ergo's were killing me 6'1" 200lbs.

CBR's just aren't good starter bikes. If you are bigger and can't fit well on a 250 then get a gs500 or the ninja 500. Maybe a older sv or something. The thing is 250's are easy to buy and sell for a profit also.

Not a shot just a fact if you get a 250 then say it isn't enough and hop on the F4i and break your leg then you should have learned throttle control and such on the 250. I read the story and I am sorry you broke your leg but you wouldn't have done that on a 250 doing what you did.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM

I learned how to ride on my F3 w/o any problems. I do however consider myself to be a very quick learner but everyone has their own pace. If the 600 is what you want, I would go for it, you don't always have to ride a fast bike fast (its hard, but realistic). Just be careful and build your confidence before you really start to ride it. Either way enjoy what you get

Quick Reply: 21 Year old looking for his First Bike!