Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

2 min w/a motorcycle cop

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011 | 06:08 PM
|
Default 2 min w/a motorcycle cop

So I go outside, prepping to move the Edge into the spot in front of the door and move my bike to the driveway. And a motorcycle cop on a BMW is sitting right where I want to park. Obviously I'm gonna have to wait so I light a smoke and lean back on Ororo, watching patiently to move the Edge. And something starts nagging me.

Me (when the cop finishes his phone call): Yo! Mind if I ask something? I've been dying to ask a motorcycle cop something.

Cop: Sure, go ahead. Nice bike btw.

Me: Thanks. I've been wondering something... Why don't you guys where more gear?

Cop: Um... Well... Err... Well we really rarely go over 45 mph on these things () so...

Me: Heh I rarely go over 45 mph on mine... in the city. But when I throw a leg over her I'm wearing leather jacket, boots, gloves, full face helmet and kevlar riding jeans.

Cop: Well we figure with the vest and all...

Me: Only time I don't wear everything is when I roll her up into the driveway. Hell even if I'm riding her around the block to heat up the chain before cleaning it, I gear up.

Cop: Well and really if you go down... well we figure it's enough if you slide and tuck (he demonstrates by crossing his bare forearms across his chest)

Me: *laugh* I went down at about 12 mph right there wearing a pair of Carhartts and that almost burned through.

Cop: Heh... well honestly, I don't know. But that's the best answer I can give.

Me: Heh... It's just been something that nags me every time I see y'all. Have a nice day, Officer. Rubber side down, shiny side up.

Cop: Thanks

When he said they rarely go over 45 mph, I seriously (no bullchit) barely stopped myself from going

Old 06-24-2011 | 06:47 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i guess they are expandable... government dont want to invest in their protective gear, they care about the appearance

Old 06-24-2011 | 07:04 PM
August 2011 ROTM

LOLZ. so what is the purpose of having the motorcycle cop then if they are riding slower than patrol car

Old 06-24-2011 | 08:00 PM
|

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
i guess they are expandable... government dont want to invest in their protective gear, they care about the appearance
The FOP is a pretty strong union here in Philly. If the officers demanded Dainese Underwear and A*s Tube Socks, they'd prolly get them

Old 06-24-2011 | 08:13 PM

so what happens if they have to chase a biker? 0_o..are they gonna stay at 45 till the biker running away feels bad? lol

Old 06-24-2011 | 08:20 PM
|

The cop was clearly embarrassed to be receiving a safety lecture from a sport biker. I specifically mentioned my jeans were kevlar cause he was eyeballing them like "Who are you to talk".

Old 06-24-2011 | 08:27 PM

I went down on the HWY at about 45-50 MPH. I had on jeans and a leather coat. I didn't have a scratch on me and the jeans and leather had no signs of the crash. I jumped free then tucked into the slide from my **** onto my back and rolled it out. Exactly the way he was taught and describing to you.

I am not saying that you won't be hurt if you crash at 45 MPH. I am just saying it is fully possible to go down at that speed and walk away. Plus, if you are at 45 MPH by the time you hit the ground you will probably be moving morelike 35 MPH.

Old 06-24-2011 | 08:42 PM

lmao i have always wondered this. never had the chance to ask though but if i see one ill have to see what he says

Old 06-25-2011 | 03:38 AM

That's funny cause I have crashed on my bicycle (couldn't have been going over 20) and tore my arms up along with my legs. Any fall can hurt you and any exposed skin can totally ruin your day in my opinion.
But most police agencies are more concerned about an officers appearance to the public then they are their actual safety

Old 06-25-2011 | 03:48 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

FYI
Cops cost less to replace than gear.

Quick Reply: 2 min w/a motorcycle cop