CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   1st encounter with the Law (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/1st-encounter-law-109088/)

Nex 04-17-2010 10:08 PM

1st encounter with the Law

Well....Not first ever ;) First on the F4i. Cited $88.80 for "Violate Red Traffic Signal". I was already 1/4 through the intersection before the light changed, which I see people doing (and do myself in my Cages) all the time. Also found out the Previous Owners Yellow Headlights are Illegal! Guess I'll be doing that HID Conversion Sooner than planned. Pretty sure it was the lights, and the fact that was on the Main Street that did me in :icon_no:

CBRfenatic93 04-18-2010 09:47 AM

Wanna trade? That sucks though man. You should fight it anyways saying the light was yellow as you were going through. The worst that could happen is you pay the ticket but it could be dropped to just a improper headlight charge due to it being from the previous owner.

I gotta 587.00 ticket for speeding through a residental. :icon_doh: Which doesnt look like a residential area at all. Im going to court to fight it though.

Good luck though

DunnRR 04-18-2010 01:52 PM

That sucks, i dont think ive ever been stopped buy a local cop, i've had them pull up and break balls about my plate being bent up (its not bent up at all). Usually its by a statie and they are grateful that i didn't "run" and just let me go after a quick license and reg. check.

Nex 04-18-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93 (Post 908751)
Wanna trade? That sucks though man. You should fight it anyways saying the light was yellow as you were going through. The worst that could happen is you pay the ticket but it could be dropped to just a improper headlight charge due to it being from the previous owner.

I gotta 587.00 ticket for speeding through a residental. :icon_doh: Which doesnt look like a residential area at all. Im going to court to fight it though.

Good luck though

$500 huh? That sucks! I really hope you can get that thrown out, or reduced! As far as mine goes, he gave me a warning on the lights, and pretty much told me that it was up to me what to do about it. compared to your fines I don't think I have a right to complain! I think mine was mostly about circumstance.

Nex 04-18-2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by DunnRR (Post 908823)
That sucks, i dont think ive ever been stopped buy a local cop, i've had them pull up and break balls about my plate being bent up (its not bent up at all). Usually its by a statie and they are grateful that i didn't "run" and just let me go after a quick license and reg. check.

Yeah, I usually don't get too much attention from the locals either, but I think that it's just something about a sportbike that makes cops nervous. plus that night I noticed 15 cops on the ride home from being pulled over, they were out looking for trouble :)

Kuroshio 04-18-2010 08:39 PM

No stops on the bike by cops *yet*. Eventually it'll come I'm sure.

Hopefully it won't be for the bullchit I've been pulled over when on 4 wheels. I tend to be hostile when stopped for no reason other than "did he steal it?". And being on a bike will prolly earn that attitude a asswhuppin.

johnnyx 04-18-2010 08:46 PM

State troopers in IL are doing random stops of bikers to do credential checks (we've had TONS of deaths of unlicensed bikers in recent years), so even obeying the law does not guarantee you immunity from being pulled over.

johnnyx 04-18-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nex (Post 908621)
Well....Not first ever ;) First on the F4i. Cited $88.80 for "Violate Red Traffic Signal". I was already 1/4 through the intersection before the light changed, which I see people doing (and do myself in my Cages) all the time. Also found out the Previous Owners Yellow Headlights are Illegal! Guess I'll be doing that HID Conversion Sooner than planned. Pretty sure it was the lights, and the fact that was on the Main Street that did me in :icon_no:

I've been nailed for this in a car before, don't think its just cuz you're on a bike. You're not supposed to proceed on yellow unless you will have cleared the intersection by the time the light is red.

Also, watch the brightness on the HID's. THOSE can be illegal, too.

Kuroshio 04-18-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx (Post 908981)
State troopers in IL are doing random stops of bikers to do credential checks (we've had TONS of deaths of unlicensed bikers in recent years), so even obeying the law does not guarantee you immunity from being pulled over.

If we had graduated licenses like the Euros and others, that'd make some sense. But having a license doesn't mean someone knows what they're doing.

And it also doesn't de-ink the squid :p

johnnyx 04-18-2010 09:18 PM

Did you read that backwards? NOT having a license or registration is quite a good indicator that the rider probably DOESN'T know what he's doing.

Kuroshio 04-18-2010 09:22 PM

Hmm... Didn't you recommend I toss my F3's plates on the F4i to ride it home till I got it registered? :p

Sprock 04-18-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 908998)
Hmm... Didn't you recommend I toss my F3's plates on the F4i to ride it home till I got it registered? :p

LOL .......... :D ding ding to Kuro

johnnyx 04-18-2010 09:41 PM

What looks less suspicious: a bike with plates, or a bike without?

Sprock 04-18-2010 10:01 PM

Okay so the quiz reads

Answers :

A: Bike with plates
B: Bike with no plates
C: Bike with temp plates (made this up needed option c) :D
D: Bike with plates upside down facing the sky

Right answer

Option D ....... :D ........ right Johnny LOL

Kuroshio 04-18-2010 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx (Post 909004)
What looks less suspicious: a bike with plates, or a bike without?

But if they're randomly checking riders, less or more suspicious = moot. Rather, here in Philly both = 2006 CBR600 F4i with 25xx miles at the PPA Auction :p

DunnRR 04-19-2010 01:38 AM

I don't know about other states, but in Connecticut is better and cheaper to be caught with No plates rather than the wrong ones. Wrong plates just add the charges, assuming you stopped of course!

bambam 04-19-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 908979)
I tend to be hostile when stopped for no reason .

that tude will get you a ticket for sure here in Florida. show respect , get respect. you should be cool thru the whole stop, an attitude will get you a bigger fine bud...

CTcbr929 04-19-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DunnRR (Post 909099)
I don't know about other states, but in Connecticut is better and cheaper to be caught with No plates rather than the wrong ones. Wrong plates just add the charges, assuming you stopped of course!

Thats cool you're from CT, what town/city? Im from CT too Im in New Britain right now (CCSU)

But yea when I got my first 250 a little over a year ago I rode home from New Britain w/o a plate, all back roads though, saw one cop but didnt have a problem...

Kuroshio 04-19-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bambam (Post 909179)
that tude will get you a ticket for sure here in Florida. show respect , get respect. you should be cool thru the whole stop, an attitude will get you a bigger fine bud...

When I get stopped for doing 30 in a 35 or no lights at 5:30 pm, its a bit insulting. Actually its DWB and very insulting.

__Z__ 04-19-2010 10:53 AM

unfortunently first time i got pulled over on my bike was the first time i rode... local pd pulled me over saying he could even see my plate (i was from fl. and had a vert. plate mount) he saw my temp tags and i explained ide just gotten it... he told me to just change it but of course he wanted to check my papers.... well ran into a problem here... my papers were under my rear seat... needless to say i couldnt get it to come off... needless to day i had to take off my under tail to get to my papers.. (took like 20-25 min) i can believe he just didnt take my word for it but oh well... been fine ever since then...

havent gotten a ticket.... *yet*

and as stated above... Illinois has all kinda of motorcycle problems lol

bambam 04-19-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 909188)
When I get stopped for doing 30 in a 35 or no lights at 5:30 pm, its a bit insulting. Actually its DWB and very insulting.

so you were speeding and should have had lights on? in florida, you must have a working headlight on yer bike, no excuse... i understand being pissed off for being pulled over, but to show attitude olny irritates the cop. this was intended to help you, as being cool to the cop will make the stop a little less painful, weather your rite or wrong....peece

CTcbr929 04-19-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bambam (Post 909245)
so you were speeding and should have had lights on? in florida, you must have a working headlight on yer bike, no excuse... i understand being pissed off for being pulled over, but to show attitude olny irritates the cop. this was intended to help you, as being cool to the cop will make the stop a little less painful, weather your rite or wrong....peece

Noo he is saying he got pulled over for going less then the speed limit 30mph in a posted 35, unless it was a typo. and for not having lights on at 5:30pm.... its still bright out at that time!

But I agree with you I just say sir and agree with everything they say and most of the time it works

bambam 04-19-2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc (Post 909291)
Noo he is saying he got pulled over for going less then the speed limit 30mph in a posted 35, unless it was a typo. and for not having lights on at 5:30pm.... its still bright out at that time!

all is what i ment,, the cop is "right"....you were speeding(everyone says i was goin 5 under) and on a motorcycle for safety reasons and the law , your headlights must be on at all times, it does not matter if it is 12 noon and a clear sky, your lights should be on. that is why there is not a switch to turn them off....

Kuroshio 04-19-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by bambam (Post 909297)
all is what i ment,, the cop is "right"....you were speeding(everyone says i was goin 5 under) and on a motorcycle for safety reasons and the law , your headlights must be on at all times, it does not matter if it is 12 noon and a clear sky, your lights should be on. that is why there is not a switch to turn them off....

I did say "DWB". Wasn't riding. Was driving the VW Beetle. Whose headlights are always on. It was the brake lights that weren't on (but fully functional) at 5:30 pm :p

And the 30 in a 35 was from a dead stop at a stop light to 1/2 down the block, when I pulled over. Aka, no way the Beetle accelerated to the speed limit let alone past it. Both stops were BS so they could run the plates and make sure I hadn't stolen the car. I know this because on both stops I had to sit for 10 minutes...

But they never asked for DL, insurance and registration

Nex 04-19-2010 04:59 PM

I hardly ever get pulled over anymore, not till recently on the bike. Last few times I did get pulled over I did tend to get a little attitude. I agree, in the end it always works out better to give them the "yes sir, no sir ect ect", it's an ego thing with them I'm sure. It seems no matter what the circumstances, I always end up with a citation of some sort, even if it is super minor. Got a $300 one last summer for getting into it with a Lesbian officer (man hater), and all over tags that expired a few days prior on my Subaru.

CTcbr929 04-19-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bambam (Post 909297)

O yea I know I agree with you I was just saying what Kuro said cuz I knew he was talking about getting pulled over in his car not bike....
And yea I know about the headlight Im glad it stays on always for bikes, and I always ride with my high beam on during the morning, day and dusk.

and yea nex youre right just always say the yes sir, mkay sir bs, but really im just rolling my eyes like you got nothing on me pce.

Kuroshio 04-19-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc (Post 909398)
O yea I know I agree with you I was just saying what Kuro said cuz I knew he was talking about getting pulled over in his car not bike....
And yea I know about the headlight Im glad it stays on always for bikes, and I always ride with my high beam on during the morning, day and dusk.

and yea nex youre right just always say the yes sir, mkay sir bs, but really im just rolling my eyes like you got nothing on me pce.

It's situational. I generally do start out with "Can I help you, officer?". But the deeper the chit, the deeper my attitude goes. Stone sober I've had the "Well what are you on?" questioning.

I can sit there and take it with more of the "Yes Sir / no Sir / Three bags full, Sir, I don't do drugs" (cause I don't). Or say "Look, if you're so sure let's take it to the station. My first call is to my lawyer".

raylee 04-19-2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 909311)
I did say "DWB".

Isn't Philly a pretty diverse city? That's sad to hear that kinda crap still happens.

Kuroshio 04-19-2010 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by raylee (Post 909452)
Isn't Philly a pretty diverse city? That's sad to hear that kinda crap still happens.

Philly is diverse. But in certain areas there is still a presumption of guilt based on a variety of social factors. I am an older man living in the middle of a college campus, driving a late model VW Beetle that obviously belongs to a female (stuffed animals, flowers and beads inside). The assumption is I stole it from a college kid.

Never gotten stopped on my bike or in my work truck, even when I am bending the law.

kilgoretrout 04-19-2010 10:20 PM

The way I see it, I'm nice to an officer as long as he's civil to me. If he starts the whole "holier than thou" attitude, or starts accusing me of absurd chit, or I know I'm in the right.... the "yes sir" bullchit goes out the window.

I've been super duper azz-kissin' nice to the police before and still been treated like crap, and I've been straight and been let off.
Will being nice give you a better chance? Probably. But I don't care who you are. If you're respectful to me (even when writing me a fine), I'll be respectful to you.
I've laughed with the cops and joked around with them even after a ticket.

I will say one thing, though....
When a cop asks you "So what kind of weapons do you have?"
I'm not sure the best answer is: "Well, I have a hardhat in the back seat.... I suppose I could beat the chit out of you with that". :D
(some cops have no sense of humor....lol)

bluedevil3758 04-19-2010 10:22 PM

dude that blows, i commute to school in newark nj an if im going home at night i run red lights like its my job, have passed right in front of newark cops, bike an truck they dont care haha

raylee 04-20-2010 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by bluedevil3758 (Post 909473)
dude that blows, i commute to school in newark nj an if im going home at night i run red lights like its my job, have passed right in front of newark cops, bike an truck they dont care haha

Where in Newark? I came outta Rutgers. You're right, though, Newark local cops have way more to do than to bust you for traffic violations. However, I must have run up about a books worth of tint tickets when I had to run through check points around the side streets around MLK.

bambam 04-20-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 909471)
When a cop asks you "So what kind of weapons do you have?"
I'm not sure the best answer is: "Well, I have a hardhat in the back seat.... I suppose I could beat the chit out of you with that". :D
(some cops have no sense of humor....lol)

hehe, let me tell you brother , you can knock the snot out of someone with a hard hat..been on the swinging end of that, when ironworkers get pissed , ya pick up what ever is with in reach.i got kicked off of a jobsite for two days for that one...

CTcbr929 04-20-2010 07:36 AM

no the best situation is def when they ask "can i search the car"

no, you cant, sir

they get soo pissed.

show me a warrant and you can search it,

I have the dog coming on the way (lie)

um idc, show me a search warrant...

why is there something illegal in the car?
No, there is not, sir (its on me and you allready patted me down! so there is no point in searching the car) lol jk...:icon_wink:

Kuroshio 04-20-2010 07:53 AM

"I have a dog on the way"
Great response: Oh good! I have dog biscuits I wanna try before giving them to Sparky! :D

james_hale2 04-20-2010 10:24 AM

man i have a good one for the dog......so while i was still in HS my dog (i wasn't PD just a trainer/owner) was registered charlston PD. he only worked when thier dogs went to yearly quarantine so i was the handler and the cop with no dog was....well the cop. so any way got stopped for a bs noise pollution charge on the Blvd and the cop wanted to search the car. of course i said no (cause there was weed in it lol) and he gave the same response. "well the dogs on its way and if it smells somethin we have prob cause." so i pulled out my dogs badge and said well dont waste the time i have one right here and told Taz to come up front. you should've seen his face when he realized it wasnt one of thier 70lb germ sheps it was a 125 doberman! he jumped back and said please don't let him out of the car just have a nice day. LMAO and even if the k-9 unit did show up i worked with them all at the training days anyway and they wouldve just laughed.

johnnyx 04-20-2010 04:33 PM

TOrrent up the old "How to Not get Arrested" video. Its still floating around out there. Covers just about everything you mentioned up there, including dealing with the dogs.

kowen1208 04-21-2010 11:42 PM

Only took me 2 1/2 weeks to get pulled over on my bike. I sped up to get through a yellow light. There wasn't much traffic and I didn't want to sit there for five minutes waiting for a car to come because the sensor couldn't see me. Cop was sitting right there. I thought I was screwed cause I didn't have my class M yet, but after running my license, he just told me to watch the lights better and be safe.

RoadiJeff 04-22-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kowen1208 (Post 910477)
There wasn't much traffic and I didn't want to sit there for five minutes waiting for a car to come because the sensor couldn't see me.

Here in MO there's a law that says if you sit through two complete traffic light cycles and you don't get a green you can proceed through the red as long as it's safe to do so. You might want to inquire with the locals about that in your state.