Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

10/16 UPDATE: My Highside Accident today w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006 | 12:46 AM
Default RE: My Highside Accident today w/pics

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

I have ridden with Darrell several times and can attest to the fact that he doesn't ride over his head and push his limits when riding.

That's one of the reasons I was so surprised to see this thread. I know a lot of riders that I would've expected to see have an accident before I would've expected to see it happen to Darrell.

One thing I was sure of, though. I knew Darrell would be wearing his gear. Good job Darrell!
Thanks for the kind words Duane. He's a pretty damn good rider himself ^. I was fortuante enough to have him let me ride his 1000 RR, which is an awesome machine! I'd consider getting one of those next, when I do get back on again, but that's still a lot of bike.

Old 10-08-2006 | 01:04 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the nice things said and the positive feedback.

UPDATE:

As an update, I'm still extremely sore (expected), so that hasn't improved too much, but I'll get better. My neck is starting to heal, but still kind of touchy and a little painfull. Below my left knee down the shin, in an area about the size of your hand, it's completely numb on the skin. I'm guessing I have nerve damage and can't feel much there. I'm happy with the knee armor though, without it it would be a different story. Wear your gear! Can't say it enough.
With taking the vicadin and the muscle relaxers, I'm practically high as a **** lol. Had a friend come over last night to inspect the bike and while I was in the garage waiting, I stared off into space at the bike for like 15 minutes! Good stuff. If I sit for a while, lay down or stand, it hurts when I start moving again. All in all, I still can't believe I'm relatively ok. Someone was watching out for me that day. God and my guardian angel must both ride sportbikes too!
I'm sure they will total the bike, since part of the frame bracing is bent inwards a little, and of course all of the other damage too. Even if by some slim chance they fix it, I will be selling it. I'll never ride this one again as I'm sure it'll never be right again. Chances are it will be totaled, which is ok with me, but I will miss it dearly...absolutely loved that bike.
Two of my other riding friends came by - the one friend is the same one who bought the GSX-R1000 after only 2 moths experience, who refused to wear gear. Well, he bought a jacket a few weeks ago - but only because it's getting cooler out. The other friend only wears a leather jacket. They both think that a helmet and jacket is enough. They rode over sporting jeans and tennis shoes. I showed them my tore up gear and how the pants, jacket and back protector literally saved my *** big time. I wanted to beat them over the head because I don't think they get it yet.

Old 10-08-2006 | 02:52 AM

645, Pray'n for a speedy recovery... I'm glad your OK. Your now the posterchild for the wisdom of gear. GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!
Hey, no drinking to your survival, w/ friends... pain meds are notoriously screwy, w/ alcohol. Be safe.

We've all lost friends and loved ones this year... we celebrate your life, w/ you, Healing and God speed . Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 10-08-2006 | 02:14 PM

I wanted to beat them over the head because I don't think they get it yet.
-Darrell
I think it will take a crash and some rashed up skin before they change their mind. While it is pretty comfortable to wear a tshirt in the summer, i would never do it because of the fact that a little sweat is better than alot of rash i always say. Glad to hear your doing "better"...lol. By the way, hows that undertail looking? Any chance of saving it for me, or is it done for?

Old 10-08-2006 | 02:33 PM

Hahaha ^ yeah, they'll learn sooner or later.

As far as parts, what I'm planning on doing is pulling of my newly installed hotbodies flush mounts up front, the undertail, and the right fairing - which has minor damage, but relatively ok. I'll also pull off my slip on and install the stock can before I tow it up to the dealer tomorrow. Those are the only surviving parts. I'll hang onto them for a while just in case it's not totaled. Otherwise, I'll most likely be selling them afterwards.
Leveltwo, you might have to fight snowboarding82 for the undertail since he already asked about it hahaha. Somehow that survived lol.

Old 10-08-2006 | 07:26 PM
oNi

Wow sorry to hear about this Darrell, damn man that was really lucky of you how you made it out relatively ok. This past week has been a bad week for riders around my area, then I read about you. You are a testament to how gear can save you from a lot worse. Glad to see you made it out alright and that you have friendly people in your area. Hope your back on your feet like normal ASAP and get back to riding. Take it easy and take care!

P

Old 10-08-2006 | 10:20 PM

damn man, thats rought, glad that you are here to tell the story tho!

Old 10-09-2006 | 02:08 AM

haha, ok, well let me know man

Old 10-09-2006 | 05:05 PM

GOD !!! What a bunch of vultures !! He's prob still got grass stains on him and you guys are picken thru the wreckage !!

Oh, buy the way, i'll buy the engine off you if its not too badly damaged !

Old 10-09-2006 | 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: FATHEADS1KRR

GOD !!! What a bunch of vultures !! He's prob still got grass stains on him and you guys are picken thru the wreckage !!

Oh, buy the way, i'll buy the engine off you if its not too badly damaged !
lol!!!!

Quick Reply: 10/16 UPDATE: My Highside Accident today w/pics