North East ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

New guy here in MA, insurance and riding question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here in MA, insurance and riding question

Hey guys how you doing?

This if my first post and well i don't own a CBR yet but i plan on buying a CBR600 as my first bike (some way think its stupid and some may think its a good idea).

First question: Can anyone who started on a 600 tell me about there experience and anything i should know/be carefull about? I'm taking the MSF course in West Boylston either at the end of this month or begining next month.

Second question: Insurance/insurance company. Now i've heard from a couple people that being 22years old i will get rapped on motorcycle insurance because of my automotive driving record. Is this true? A friends friend, he supposendly told me that his friend had like 8 speeding tickets and still didn't pay over a grand for bike insurance. And if anyone here has a bad driving record how much do you pay for full coverage/liability and with what company?

Thanks for the help guys, hope to hear some good news.

Vic

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New guy here in MA, insurance and riding question

Take the class. Learn all you can from them. Take things slowly, contunue to read books on sport riding (CBRforum is a good resource), and don't buy a new bike.
BTW, sport riding differs slightly from what they teach in the class, but only as it pertains to technique. The safety philosophy: follow them 100% by habit and spirit.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.....and Welcome to the CBRForum.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:31 AM

thanks well i plan on buying a used cbr maybe 01-02ish. Would i be ok starting on a 600 being 5'8 and 140ish lbs?

the only thing that im concerned about is insurance, if i get a loan i need to get full coverage i'm sure, but if its too much i won't get a bike which sucks.

My car insurance is already expensive, 8th most expensive car to insure.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM

Well for an 02 CBR 600 (my guess is he put it under F4i hopefully) i got a quote for full coverage for 821$ a year. He said if you have 6years of driving (automotive driving) its cheaper then someone who just learned to drive and gets a bike.

It hopefully will drop a bit after a year of riding and ive been driving for 5 1/2years so thats close enough i guess.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM

It's costing me $405 this year for my '04 F4i. I'm 22 and have in registered in central MA. I have a lein on it, so that is for the works.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Blah i got my quote of 821 full coverage for an 02, im an SDIP 12 so that adds 284$ and its going to be garaged in worcester so that def doesn't help haha.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 PM

ya, no doubt worcester doesn't help! That was like when I checked how much it was for lowell.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM

Ok first off the course will get you 10% off your insurance.

Second the best insurance I have found is AAA.

Third if you start out with a cheaper bike you can afford full coverage easy

Old 01-30-2008, 01:27 AM

The bulk of what you're paying is for the collision coverage. I have liability and comprehensive (in case the bike gets stolen, or vandalized) and that costs me 192USD a year. If you are paying on the bike, that won't be an option for you though. I just switched my policy from Farmers to Progressive, and Progressive is charging me literally half of what Farmers is charging.

Also, the MSF course if you haven't taken it will help a great deal, and if you have the same insurance company for your car and your bike, they will often times give you a multipolicy discount.

As for riding... wearfullgear. Most accidents happen within your first year of riding.

Quick Reply: New guy here in MA, insurance and riding question