New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Wife bought me a bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife bought me a bike

So, here's the thing, I rode dirt bikes in Socal for many years and I was pretty good launching my RM250 in the air. Well, one day I was watching TV with the wife and I told her I would like to have a bike again. I told her I would love a neat street bike as I thought they were cool.

So my birthday, wife brings me down to the condo garage and has a huge smile on her face. Bless her heart, she bought me a CBR 600 2K model. It looked sweet, and I love her to death for what she did, but here is the situation. I am only 5'6" 140 pounds and this bike feels like a monster. It is heavy as heck, and to be honest I am afraid to ride it. I am so worried I will fall over at a stoplight or something.

My wife did a wonderful thing for me and I owe it to her to ride this wonderful gift. How do I overcome this fear I have, do I just need to man up?

Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey welcome aboard!

Well first thing is can you sit on the bike and place both your feet flat while off the kickstand?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 AM

Welcome

Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Michaelxyz
I am only 5'6" 140 pounds and this bike feels like a monster. It is heavy as heck, and to be honest I am afraid to ride it. I am so worried I will fall over at a stoplight or something.

My wife did a wonderful thing for me and I owe it to her to ride this wonderful gift. How do I overcome this fear I have, do I just need to man up?
I think you should be tall enough that you won't need to lower the bike. But you can if you feel more comfy doing so.

More importantly you should feel comfortable with how the bike operates. I highly recommend that you take a rider's class. That way you'll get to enjoy the bike to its fullest.

BTW: sorry for being cheeky but have you considered the possibility that ur wife doesn't luv u as much as u think she does JK

Enjoy!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM

welcome aboard. I bought the same bike 4 months ago and when I first sat on it, believe me, I felt the same way. I am 5'11 and weight 160lbs. The damn thing is so heavy and I didn't feel comfortable even pushing it around with my feet. (mind you, I am a new rider and this is my very first bike). what I did was to hop on the bike and do a 10 mins run up and down on my street every day at a speed of 20mph just to get used to the bike, sitting position and the weight.. but what really helped, IMO, was the training course I did. The bike provided by the course was one of these 125cc dirt bikes, they weight nothing and was very easy to ride on. I soon realized that its not the size/weight of the bike that matters, the only thing that matters is how comfident you feel about the bike. The training course is definitely the best way to build up you confidence and to improve riding skills.

Not only is the training course going to help you fight/overcome the fear, but also it will develop good riding habits in you that you will be benefit from for as long as you ride. Some times, 'man it up' is not the best solution.

Last edited by hikeetech; 09-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think you'll find quickly that your weight and height are almost meaningless (height matters a little mostly for stops). I weigh about 145 and my first sport bike was a steel frame F3. When you have to dead lift one of those twice in 10 minutes, you'll know what heavy means But that weight disappears the second it starts moving. Physics demands the bike stay upright. And from there it's all a balancing act.

And on the height score, maybe Yumi will pop in with some words of encouragement. Think she said she's 5' 2" (yes that's a one, not a typo "12")

Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I'm only 4'11" 110 lb and ride 600rr. lol. (I wish I am 5'2") I posted video from yesterday on my bike and I also have a pic of me sitting on my bike in my profile. You will get used to with the weight of the bike. I pushed my bike around all the time to back out of the stall, so weight doesn't seem to bother me. When you are riding with your feet on the pegs, the weight of the bike and how tall you are really have no effect.

Two paws up on your nice wife

Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll add the rider's course link. ;-). MSF... www.msf-usa.org

Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 AM

Thanks for the input. The rider course sounds like a good idea. I think I will do that.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Michaelxyz
Thanks for the input. The rider course sounds like a good idea. I think I will do that.
Hey that's great! In addition to picking up some safe bike habits, you'll probably have a lot of fun!

Quick Reply: Wife bought me a bike