New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Whatsup dc

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whatsup dc

New rider from the DMV area (not department of motor vehicles). My bike is a CBR 600 F4 she has either 23k, which is what the odometer says, or 44k which is what the title says. I have no idea why there is such a big difference in the mileage. It was an impulse buy but I had to do it for the deal. The owner originally wanted $1800 for it but I offered $700 and she took it. I'm pretty sure she was desperate to sell it. But anyway, I paid another $500 for a new fuel pump and some wiring. I was told that mice had lived in the bike and chewed up the wires. From what I can tell by looking at it was dropped at least twice. One side looks like it was tipped over and the other side looks like a low speed slide. I have no history as to the maintenance of the bike (probably not too well). SO my question is do you think it the bike is worth dropping money into? I was looking to get new levers and maybe wrap the bike in vinyl.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 PM

hiya!. Have you been able to start the bike yet? I'd say get it to the point you can start it if possible then decide whether its worth keeping, but the previous owner taking a $1100 cut from her asking price and the odometer difference probably should have been red flags.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF! As far as whether or not you should throw more money at it, can you do any of this on your own (I take it from spending $500 on a fuel pump and wiring that someone else did the work)? It's a real gamble if someone else is doing the work because of the cost. But if you can do it yourself, I'd at least see if I could get it running, then decide whether or not it'll be worth it to you to put more money into it.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome
+1 to conrice, try to do some work yourself, but get it running first, then work out whats needed, get over to the f4 section for some help

Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Old Skool Welcomer

Welcome to the forums!
Good luck sorting out your bike, I'm sure it will be worth while. :-D

Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CBRF, good luck with the bike, whichever way you decide. I would, however, as suggested before, get it running, ride it a bit, doesnt matter how ugly it is, make sure its mechanically worth it first. And if you can do the work yourself, you will save a ton and almost anything will be worth it. Plenty of friendly, helpful, people around here, so if ou get stuck, just give a shout.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 PM

Welcome to CBRF... I'd say, tear into the bike a bit... Do some of the basic stuff, oil change, air filter, coolant change, spark plugs, bleed the brakes and clean the chain real good... All these things are pretty simple and straight forward... and by doing these types of things, you will get a better feel for what your mechanical comfort level is...

Old 02-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum,

I love impulse buys! You have so much time to regret the decision until...................it all works perfectly and you congratulate yourself on your canny buying skills.

Cheers, SB