New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

weight vs speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight vs speed

ok in my n00b thread you guys were very helpful and i have a better grip on things not to mention I have talked my fiancee into letting me get the bike yay! anyway ya'll said get a 250 and move up or get an early 90s 600 to learn on. Now my newest question is for a new rider what is the biggest factor the weight of the bike to get used to? or the speed of the bike before the are ready to learn? Im just asking cuz a friend of mine was like just start on a 600.

250s are lighter i understand and obviously must be slower : its safer and cheaper and sells quick (says u guys)

600s are heavier and faster which are things u have to get used to anyway : its easier on the pocket in the long run cuz u dont need to upgrade as fast.

Im just saying which holds more ground or is it really the prefrence of what the rider wants? Risk the danger of a 600 or Spending more money to upgrade?

Old 02-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Default RE: weight vs speed

My 600rr is my first bike.. just bought it a few weeks ago and i'm doin fine on it..

i've got alot of experience with other bikes though.. rode dirt bikes all my life and my dad has had a shadow that i used to ride around..

Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 AM

experience plays a big factor

Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 AM

A lot if it is how mature are you? Not trying to be funny but I started riding just six months ago and I started out on a 1krr for my first bike. You have to respect it no matter what the size 250 or 1000! Your asking good questions so you sound like you have your head on straight. Good luck finding the ride you want and be careful.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:53 AM

u can start on any size bike u want the problem really is, the faster response u will get with the bigger size bike. u can start on 1000 some people do it but with what ive seen is most people who start on a smaller early 90s 600 get in there first accident and its not to bad i.e smaller bikes you will usually low side on a corner or something. 1000 got the power to highside which tends to hurt ALOT MORE . I like to say starting on a 600 helps u learn easier what can happen on a bike and how to correct your self so when u get on the bigger bikes with more power u know whats goin on , and how to fix it or prepare for the worst .

Starting on a big bike u dont really know what its capable of and if that back tire breaks away on you you would know to keep it sliding versus just lettin off the gas letting it lock back up and buck you off like a bull. if a 600 breaks off on you it tends to be small and if u let off ur okay where as a 1000 wont be so nice to you . ive say 90 percent of the guys i know who started on 1000 got hurt real bad cause they didnt know the bikes true potential and what it was capible of doing. as far as weight. well there all pretty light and designed for you to not really feel the weight so its just a matter of the throttle response u know to get used to , and learn what to expect from it.

If u start on a 250 and jump to 600 your gonnahave to learn all over again anyway cause there is nooooo comparison , 250 just is good to learn how to ride a bike period as far as as jumpin from a 250 to 600 , it would be like having a 500e and jumping up to a busa . responsiblity and maturity pretty much is the main thing to any bike regardless of size , dont use more power then u dont know how to . have fun keep it shiney and put the seat time in

Old 02-05-2006, 02:24 PM

My two cents.....as long as you are in control and know what you doing 600 would be fine. Like people said you have to respect the bike and need to understand that any bike can potentially be dangerous.....if you are not mindfull. I bought my 600rr about a month ago and had same concerns. Sales people scared me of its untammed power - let me tell you bike will do what you want it to do. If you are careful it's very tammed and if you decide to let it go it can get you in trouble and that is true with any bike.

I hope this might help/assure you.

Regards,

maakif

Old 02-05-2006, 03:10 PM

thanks alot im 21 since ya asked umm what do u mean by keep it sliding if the back tire gets away? and whats lowside on a corner and highside on a corner? Im not up on the bike ebonics yet

Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 PM
L8X

no point in modding a 250 [:'(]

Old 02-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

My first bike is this one, a 2006 f4i. It doesn't seem to weigh anything, so don't let that concern enter into your decision.

It can be scary fast for a person that hasn't ridden/doesn't know how/is just learning/still new. All i can say is I hope that you aren't like I was at 21 (I'm 42 now) because I don't think I would have survived riding this bike as the first one when I was your age. Then again, I barely survived driving my old Mustang GT so don't listen to me, I'm just a rambling, babbling old guy that is glad he had room in the garage for one more toy.

Get what you want and be very careful no matter what bike you buy.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:32 AM

so its a maturity issue?

Quick Reply: weight vs speed