New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Warm weather warning!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm weather warning!!

Hey guys (and girls), unfortunately we usually learns from our mistakes AFTER we have made them. In my case, it is getting very warm up here in CT and I have only had my bike for a few weeks. I parked on my driveway yesterday and came outside to find my new bike lying on it's side. The asphalt hot gotten so warm that my kickstand sunk into the driveway and tipped the bike over, breaking off my left mirror! Luckily my truck was parked close enough to the bike to catch it from going totally down. Moral of the story, place something under your stand to keep it from sinking into the ground with summer heat here! A $70.00 mirror later has taught me this, but it could have been worse.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Warm weather warning!!

Thanks for to FYI; probably even more relevant done here in AZ....I will have to watch were I park

Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM

Try to park on cement and this won't happen or use almost anything under the stand to make the contact patch larger. They actually sell items for this but believe it or not a crushed soda can will do this just great and are usually lying around public parking lots.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: christhek

a crushed soda can will do this just great and are usually lying around public parking lots.
great idea! i never thought of that. i always carry a small square piece of wood under the rear seat in case i need it.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 PM

never thought of the bike going down like that ..i will need to carry something thanks

Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM

Alot of bike nights and rallys sell plastic ones for like 2 bucks. A cover plate for an electrical box works too, about .47 cents at home depot.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:50 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Yeah...when I graduated from the MSF course they gave us these plastic plates...if your insured by Rider and they attend a function near you, they usually have them at the stands.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 PM

All have been very good advice...wish I thought of that before!

Old 06-02-2006, 03:43 PM

The same thing happened to me, dude. I was parked at work and my F2, with no blemishes at all and a kick-*** paint job, sank into the parking lot. I lost my left mirror, most of my clutch handle, and my left upper fairing was cracked under the turn signal. Some paint was gone as well. Now I always ride with a plate and I never want to have this happen again, ever! That's the only time that I have had to pick up my bike from its side so far. Now I have a brand new 600RR so I am more the wiser as well as being better equipped overall. A lesson learned...

Old 06-02-2006, 09:21 PM

Oh that sucks! I'm lucky it fell against my truck or it would have been worse, like yours was! Definetely a lesson learned!

Quick Reply: Warm weather warning!!