New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Total Newbie. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Newbie. Need Advice

Hey all,

My names Travis and I'm 20 from Massachusetts. I'm in the market to buy my first bike. A friend of mine is looking to sell his 93 cbr 600 f2. He is the 2nd owner, and the bike has less than 17,000 miles. Starts right up, sounds good, however, this will be my first bike and I'm not sure if there's anything specific I should be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm sure this topic has probably been killed to death in these forums but what are your guys thoughts on a 600 being someones first bike? I've been driving standards for years and am not really worried about the shifting aspect. It seems like I've been reading mixed opinions - some say to get a 250 to learn and gain experience on and others say to flat out get a 600 since most people end up getting them down the line anyways.

So yeah, that's about it I'm sure I'll be learning a lot here.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:28 PM

welcome first off,

the 600cc question has been beatin to death. yes i know. i personally think starting on a 250 is a great idea... that been said.. i myself started on a 600. it can be done if you have the right mind frame...you need to take the MSF course..no matter what. the benefits are enormous and you will learn a ton. if you are willing to start slowly, learn, take your time, be patient and not have the temption to twist that throttle hard a 600 is not a bad bike to learn on in my opinion.. but if you think you might have the thoughts of being a bit reckless and stupid on it.. get a 250..

hope this helped. cheers

Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Retired Admin, January 2008 ROTM, Lord of Neon & L.E.D.s

Welcome to the board. I do not think a 600 would be a bad starter bike, BUT its a case by case basis. If the person is gonna get out there and tear it up with reckless abandon then they should start on something smaller. (actually they shouldn't be on one at all, lol) If you are gonna take a course and take very much time to learn and be safe, you'll be fine. Maturity mentally is a main factor in being safe on a larger bike (or any other) than a 250. I M O only. You'll get many different answers on that subject all over this board. Throw some pics up of it.
LJ

Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Jersey
Welcome to the board. I do not think a 600 would be a bad starter bike, BUT its a case by case basis. If the person is gonna get out there and tear it up with reckless abandon then they should start on something smaller. (actually they shouldn't be on one at all, lol) If you are gonna take a course and take very much time to learn and be safe, you'll be fine. Maturity mentally is a main factor in being safe on a larger bike (or any other) than a 250. I M O only. You'll get many different answers on that subject all over this board. Throw some pics up of it.
LJ
where did you get that neon kit for you bike man>? i've been looking around a bit but thats the best looking one i've seen.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Retired Admin, January 2008 ROTM, Lord of Neon & L.E.D.s

Originally Posted by gonerippin
where did you get that neon kit for you bike man>? i've been looking around a bit but thats the best looking one i've seen.
Thank you. Its two kits+, Streetglow and some pieces from Custom Dynamics. PM me if you need any other info. I don't wanna jack his thread. Lol.
LJ

Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely plan on taking the MSF course, but won't be able to until summer due to college/work scheduling.

And I've definitely done some stupid things in sports cars in the past, and think it's best to get a 250 starting off. Can then buy a 600 once I feel comfortable and know what I'm getting into.

thx!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking to buy a bike, I thought about a Kawi 250. Went to several dealers and they all told me they couldn't keep them on the showroom floor; sold them as quickly as they came in. That being said, there's an abundance of them in the used market which can be found for real cheap.

Quick Reply: Total Newbie. Need Advice