New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Thinking about buying a 954 - input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 954 - input welcome

Hi forum folks!

New member. First post. Glad to have found this forum!

I recently sold an '07 Bandit 1250 and looking for a replacement bike. Last year I bought an '09 Goldwing for my wife and I to tour with, and tour we have - almost 10K miles last Summer. I've owned about 8 bikes over the years, and always had a lust for the 954.

Anyway, I liked the Bandit well enough. But I had quite a bit of money tied up in bikes and having two big heavy bikes in the garage didn't seem practical. So, I sold the Bandit for a real nice price last week. And I'd like to replace it with something that's the "opposite" of the Wing - light, quick, fully faired, and flickable - for solo riding only - commuting, afternoon "spirited" mountain riding, around-town riding, etc. No track days planned. Over the years I've owned a Magna, FZ1, ST1300, 919, Vulcan 1500, and the Bandit. I'm partial to Honda. But I've never owned a true sport bike and always had a thing for the 954. I'm not inclined to go with a 600-class bike though, or any full liter CBR so I can pocket a few grand. And I happen to think the 954 is more comfortable and more appropriate on the street. YMMV.

A 2002 954 is up for sale in my area. It's adult owned, 12K miles, very well cared for, never stunted, garage kept, new Michelin tires, serviced, ZG screen, Erion slip-on, frame sliders, and a few other mods, but nothing inside the engine. He was originally asking $5200. I can pick it up for $4500, including the manual, spare oil filters, a rear stand, the stock parts, and some gear.

I've been out to see the bike once and it fits me like a glove. I love this bike. But I think the owner is a little high on the price, but he is firm. I've talked him down $700 and he's not budging. Since it's Spring here in the northeast, he's sure he will get other offers or just keep it.

I've done a lot of searching and reading here and picked up some great information. I also checked insurance and that's not an issue - $200/year with full coverage including collision. I'm wondering if there is anything I need to look for as far as mechanical failures, or other things to watch out for. Any and all input, feedback, pointers, tips, and hints welcome and appreciated - thanks!

Ken

Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM

$4500 isnt bad. These are great solid bikes. No real problems with these bikes, you may hear some cct rattle but its all good. I have owned two of these bikes and they are great. The only thing I'd recommend is a corbin seat and a good steering damper. the 954s are also WAY more comfortable than any newer liter bike you will get a chance to ride. Just make sure you check all the normal stuff, subframe, forkseals, chain-sprocket. ect. I honestly love this bike, and comforatable, fast, and can get through the corners easier than most 600cc bikes. But I'd recommend this bike to anyone who can control her. hope this helps

Last edited by bubba_finch07; 04-17-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, 954's a nice one to go for. Only other thing I've heard of which
is common with other Honda's is R/R - Stator issues ..... not show stoppers either but
something to look out for.

Enjoy the Forum - Have a great riding season.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a fair deal; i've always liked the 954 myself.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:32 AM

Yesterday was a glorious day! Gorgeous weather greeted us on the way out the door at 6:30AM. My wife and youngest daughter drove me out to Saratoga to pick it up. The seller had her all ready to go. I had a fistful of cash. We had all the right DMV forms, filled out correctly the first time (always an accomplishment!). And a great, fun, sunny, speedy, fulfilling ride home. Here's the one pic I took of the new ride today, just before lunch. Can you tell where we ate? Life is so good!

Name:  2010-04-20123650.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  80.5 KB

She looks really nice next to the Goldwing (which is Honda's "Pearl Yellow") and it looks like ketchup and mustard in my garage now!

It sure is nice to be on such a light bike!

The weekend is definitely booked - at least four tanks of gas need to be killed! I'll get my normal weekend yard work done during the week in the dark if I have to, just to make sure I have free time this weekend!

A four-hour ride home is quite a way to take delivery of a bike. But I was very comfortable. As far as handling goes, this is the easiest bike I have ever ridden. And I've owned a bunch over the years. I'm so glad I went with the 954, and not a smaller bike, or even a more modern liter bike. There was a brief time when I considered backing down and going with something like a Gladius or the ER-6n. For me, this one is just right. Except for the seat. Lord, it's like sitting on a cinder block after an hour. I need to find a used Corbin, or bite the bullet and pay the $259 they get for that little thing. I also had some tingle in my right hand after a couple hours, but adjusting my posture and lightening my grip took care of that.

After we got home and had some dinner, I pushed her out in the driveway, put her up on the stand and gave her a thorough cleaning, and a coat of good wax. She looks spectacular! Can't wait to commute to work this morning! And I can't remember when/if I've ever looked forward to my commute!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5 $ ft long , hey very nice bike ya got yourself there man.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Looks awesome, and that is the second fastest paint job for a 954rr. Silver and black is fastest believe me Ii had both. looks good. Just go ahead and bite the bullet and pay out the extra $$ to get a new corbin and design it the way you want, itll pay off in the end. nice bike

Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that's a sharp looking bike!!
Congratulations! I love the 954s. Sooo sweeet.
Glad you're enjoying it. I would certainly be stoked about it.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Name:  Photo0017.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  41.3 KBMy old 954 I loved this bike.. tool me everywhere and in 5 yrs not an issue.. Easy to ride and even withthe stretch it cornered nice. great price on it if you want it go for it and have a blast !

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Someone has a full Arata exhaust system with 2 track days on it for $600. For another $200, the seller will throw in a PCIII with a map from a custom Dyno tuneup with the Arata. Is $800 a good deal for a like-new Arata system with a PCIII and custom map?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 954 - input welcome