New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

super'duper noobie on a mission!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super'duper noobie on a mission!

Hello people,

Thanks for having the forum open to all. I am glad it has a decent amount of traffic. It should not take an insane amount of time to get a reply.

I am going to be lurking in the forums for a bit. I am doing research for my homebrewed bike. I want to use some honda stuff to build it (cuz it has reliability and performance--so I keep hearing). I really am interested in the chassis/suspension dynamics. I have made some educated guesses on the subject but I would need tons of more knowledge to build a bike. Right now, I am relying on my mechanical aptitude and my (so, so) welding skills.

I plan to build my first bike this summer. It will be a ghetto rigid frame with a short'ish wheelbase.

The next one will be my serious attempt. I have some very (vague) theoretical ideas for it, so I will spare you most of my ignorance. I was thinking that it should have the lowest center of gravity possible(i.e. the exhaust 1 inch or so from the ground). I don't know if I can go low enough (and be able to lean) with a wide inline 4 and still be able to lean enough to take advantage of the lowered CG, so I am considering a Vtwin (RC51) or V4 (interceptor) powerplant. I do not see many race bikes that are very low to the ground. I always thought things handled roads better lowered. Also, I am going to attemped the whole swing arm in front thing.

The second bike is very imaginary at this point. The idea will change too many times before I am ready to build it. The first bike will help me understand what I want/need in the second bike. Of course, lots of reading will help just as much. If anyone knows a good book that would help me with the building of the second bike, I would be very grateful. So far, the only books seem to be "how to build a chopper" types. I think I will have to rumage through some books like "Twist of the Wrist."

Well, that sums up my general purpose for joining the forum, but equally I hope to get to know and help some interesting people. I will not probably be of much help at first, but I like to help and contribute as much as I can. Thanks for having me. God bless you.

Giacobbe=Jacob

Old 10-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Default RE: super'duper noobie on a mission!

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you've got some pretty big plans for your future. Good luck with everything. As of right now, I can't offer you too much info as to what you're planning on, so I'll just stick with the welcome. Be talkin to ya.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:11 AM

Hello & Welcome!! Good Luck with your mission!!!

Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Welcome

Old 10-23-2005, 03:03 PM

Howdy

Old 10-23-2005, 08:10 PM

Welcome, Sounds very complicated.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the family. Talking about being "TECHNICAL"! Make sure you post up often, you could be a big help to the forum as a whole.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 PM

Hello & welcome to the boards. You have some big plans there. Definatly keep us updated and some pics would rock when you get started.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Hey thanks for the Welcomes!

The first bike is not that big of a thing--save the wiring. The biggest problem I see for both bikes is the lack of mounting points at the bottom and front of the engine case. I am looking into the dangers of welding some on myself. I learned how to weld over the summer. If that does not prove to be a valid solution then I will play Mr. Engineer with the Frame. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Thanks, the encouragement as well. God bless you.

Jacob

Old 11-22-2005, 03:01 PM
L8X

cant wait to see it! any progress?

Quick Reply: super'duper noobie on a mission!