New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Super Newbie- new to the motorcycle world

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Newbie- new to the motorcycle world

I have always been interested in motorcycles but never had the money or time to own or enjoy one. Up until very recently, I was into buying, selling and trading guns of all kind. Recent world events and new Colorado laws made this hobby a little too stuffy and awkward, so I traded a couple of my extras for very clean 2001 CBR600 F4i. This is my first motorcycle and I have a couple of things that I need to take care of before I even start riding it but I can already tell that will fill the void from previous hobbies. Istill need to get my license, helmet, jacket and all the other necessary gear but ththat's all easy. I decided to come here for the technical advice being that this is my first motorcycle and I'm going to have all kinds of mechanical and electrical questions. I noticed that it has a dynojet power commander under the back seat too an was told that it had been fully tuned but who knows what fuel map is on it and what this is set up for... Any, I'll vet pictures up soon but it's all stripped down for frame sliders and a HID kit right now so stay tuned!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on making the leap into the two wheeled world! You will only regret it when you find yourself back on four.

You will find many similarities between bikes and guns. Okay, not really, but we love them both around here!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum GL,

Plenty of people on the forum will be able to help with any questions you have, so feel free to ask. Looking forward to the pictures of your new 'Top Gun'

Cheers, SB

Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome to the forum and 2 wheels

Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the fraternity of riders - and CBRF! CO has some of the best riding in the country - that's a great place to start riding. You'll find a lot of us on here have other hobbies as well.

It's great to see another rider who isn't afraid to work on their bike! As far as the map, what kind of PC is it? Is it a PCIII USB? Or is a PC III with the 9-pin connector. Either way - you'll be able to tell once you go to powercommander.com . If you look around on the site, you can download the software for your PC onto your laptop. After that, you hook it up to the power commander on the bike. You'll see maps that are on the site (they are maps that Dynojet put out) that you can download to your computer and onto your PC. However, if you do not recognize the map that is currently downloaded onto PC, it could be a custom tune - which is the best.

Post some pics of the bike always! We love to see people DOIN WORK!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Congrats on the purchase and welcome!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Welcome to CBRF...

Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 PM

@ Conrice: this dyno jet must be the older one, it has the 9 pin connector. From what I read, it has all the same features and attributes, just a different connection. The maps dont look any different than tuning a car with Neptune or even hondata. I think I'll stick with the maps provided and do some mild adjusting if needed. Cool set up either way though.
Its been a busy week, I haven't done a thing to the bike since last weekend but I got in my clutch/brake stubby levers, HID kit, frame sliders, odi grips, windshield, tank protector and brake fluid container so this should be a fun weekend! I'll post pictures before I start work. Anyone know a quick easy way to mark the center of the framesliders on the fairings so I don't end up cutting a 4" hole hahahaha? I have some ideas but I'm all ears when it comes to this stuff.
Id also really like to get advice on helmets. Being that I am a posterchild for the intermediate oval head shape, I have taken to Scorpian Exo R410 but I think I need to look elseware in the endless forums for this info. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, KEEP SAFE!