New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

A Squid am I...*lol*

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Squid am I...*lol*

Hi guys, thought I'd introduce myself since I'm new around here. Tomorrow afternoon I'm picking up my brand new 07 600RR and despite my better judgement telling me to start on something small, I chose the CBR anyway (hence the subject title, hee hee). I'm 27 yrs. old and this will be my first bike. I have had some minor saddle time on a Ninja EX250 and I've already completed the MSF course and redeemed my voucher for a full-on class M endorsement on my license. I'm mainly going to use the RR for local commutes to work and I'm well aware of my skill limitations. I've already told myself no highway riding whatsoever for at least the next 2 seasons. In fact, I already adjusted my sleeping schedule to wake up way before morning rush hour to practice riding local streets and negotiating low speed maneuvers before they become congested with commuters. I also plan to go to my neighborhood Home Depot parking lot with a fellow new rider buddy after closing hours to replicate the exercises we learned in MSF several times a week. Yes, we even bought some reflective markers inside said Home Depot to do this with. I'm probably not making any new arguements that people who claim they can start on an SS bike haven't already made, but I think the difference here is I wholeheartedly plan to adhere to these guidlelines. I've heard many people who start out being careful and conservative then abandoning discipline because they (mistakingly) believe they've correctly adapted to the bike only to learn the hard way that their confidence was grossly overestimated. Anyhow, thanks for listening and please feel free to give me any pointers, they would greatly be appreciated.

-Mike

Old 05-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Default RE: A Squid am I...*lol*

just take it easy and learn how she responds to the throttle and keep your focus at all times cuase when you least expect it things go wrong
good luck and be safe are you in canada by the way?

Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 AM

Your stating on a bike that demands respect, but clearly you realize this, just don't forget it. Welcome, and keep your good attitude.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not from Canada, I'm down here in NYC, traffic capitol of the east coast. I guess it's a double edged sword on that because on one hand, lots of congestion forces you to take it slow and keep the throttle in check. But, with all the extra vehicles on the road, the likelihood of collisions/miscommunication increases.

-Mike

Old 05-11-2007, 01:44 AM

Welcome and it sounds like you're already on the right track!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 AM

Trust me you are starting on the right bike, if you started on a smaller bike you might feel the need for an upgrade but with the 600RR you may never feel that way. I used to live and ride in NY and my advice to you is to be safe and always wear your gear.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

Welcome and it sounds like you're already on the right track!
D said it well. You are being a responsible rider, so far. Just take it easy, you have A LOT of bike. New York has to be a crazy place to ride...watch your ***! Glad to have you here, and welcome.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Well men usually have a problem starting on a 250cc....but most men can handle a 600cc for their first bike.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sound like a sensible guy, but you're definitely making it hard on yourself with your choice of ride. You'd probably learn faster with a bike that isn't so high-strung and lets you experiment a little and push your limits without biting you in the *** for every mistake.

Let me know where and when you're doing your practice sessions; I might try to join you. I'm in Brooklyn, and ride all over the city for work, so I have lots of experience with the traffic and potholes.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:01 PM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] Just ride safe, you'll do fine.

Quick Reply: A Squid am I...*lol*