New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Really, really new guy checking in

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really, really new guy checking in

OK, so.

Don't have a bike, but a friend of mine and I have decided to do some horse trading so I can get his '91 Hurricane. CBR1000F, I think it is?

The kicker it that is has a blown motor. Lucky for me, I'm an engine builder at a machine shop by day, so fixing it shouldn't be too bad. I hope.

The kicker-er is that I've never ridden a bike before. What could possibly go wrong on a bike capable of 160mph? lol.

I've been checking out the MSF site, if this goes though I'm going to be spending a good amount of time at some of their courses. If I were smart (and that has yet to be determined) I'd get a starter bike to play with while rebuilding the CBR.

Anyways...hello!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
At least you wont fall off here....
If you can ride a bicycle and drive a manual car, you can ride a motorcycle. Good that you will take the classes too. You will learn everything that you need to get started there.

So, what makes you want to get into motorcycles?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Welcome to CBRF. I am also a fairly new rider and my first full time bike is also a 91 1kf. I absolutely love this bike. I can't seem to get enough riding time in my opinion. The wife may beg to differ. lol
If you respect the bike and it's power I personally think its a great starter bike. I have riden dirt bikes and we do a lot of quading here in Oregon. I am a big fan of speed but have been trying to keep in check on the 1kf. I have had it up in the triple digits a couple times but it was a long straight stretch with no in coming traffic so I could see whats coming. And no one else around to hurt other than myself. lol
Again I am learning so I try to keep simple mostly commuting back and forth from home to work.
I think you will love the hurricane.
Jump into the 1kf forum and keep us updated.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Welcome to the forum.
At least you wont fall off here....
If you can ride a bicycle and drive a manual car, you can ride a motorcycle. Good that you will take the classes too. You will learn everything that you need to get started there.

So, what makes you want to get into motorcycles?
Well, I've got a bicycle and an 88 mustang gt, so I should be ok

My slightly younger brother has an 09 GSX-R and a friend of mine has an older Honda somethingorother from the 80's. Always been interested but up until recently never tried pulling the trigger. Getting the bike for free was certainly an incentive!

Originally Posted by Blackdog91
Welcome to CBRF. I am also a fairly new rider and my first full time bike is also a 91 1kf. I absolutely love this bike. I can't seem to get enough riding time in my opinion. The wife may beg to differ. lol
If you respect the bike and it's power I personally think its a great starter bike. I have riden dirt bikes and we do a lot of quading here in Oregon. I am a big fan of speed but have been trying to keep in check on the 1kf. I have had it up in the triple digits a couple times but it was a long straight stretch with no in coming traffic so I could see whats coming. And no one else around to hurt other than myself. lol
Again I am learning so I try to keep simple mostly commuting back and forth from home to work.
I think you will love the hurricane.
Jump into the 1kf forum and keep us updated.
That's about the path I'm thinking. I know I'm going to be very conservative at first, I'd hate to dump the bike after a fresh rebuild. But I know I'm going to do it at least once

Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You shouldn't ever ride 160 mph on the streets anyway. ;-)

We have a very supportive 1000F section here that can help you sorting out any of the bike's issues.

Kudos for checking out the MSF course. Highly recommend it.

Sure, you could get another bike in the meantime & work on the 1000F as time allows.

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you w/ us.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 PM

thank you, thank you

on that note, how long does it take until I can view attachments? Trying to look at the 1kf pics thread and I don't have permissions to view a large number of the pictures

Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey "thatguywill" nice to meet ya,
reading your post reminded me of something no one has mentioned yet..
three things:
1) make sure the helmet you buy fits, meaning its firm to your face/head.
2) and wish i was writing this a minus a few experiences, buy a jacket with protection in the back and arms "padded!!.
3) enjoy the ride, because there is few experiences in life that can even come close to it..

oh, and of course i would read as many post on this site as possiable as you can def learn a wealth of information from everybody here..

later...
jay

Old 09-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks jay

I like my brother's hat, the entire front of his flips up and out of the way, which may or may not be important for those of us who wear glasses. I've got a pretty fat head, so finding a good one should be interesting

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thatguywill
Thanks jay

I like my brother's hat, the entire front of his flips up and out of the way, which may or may not be important for those of us who wear glasses. I've got a pretty fat head, so finding a good one should be interesting
hey just another tip.. its the end of the season so i would check in with your local bike shops in your area, they're bound to have all sorts of sales going on..
plus i think these guys who run this site partner with a bunch of company's the feel comfortable with, give them a look over too.. i'm telliing ya, riding gear is everything.. i once had a ginny shirt on in the late eighties, no actually "92" a woman slammed her brakes and rode right into me, pushing me and the bike into the curb, once my front tire touched the curb it flipped the bike and i went with it, right over her and the car.. believe it or not,
Not one broken bone! but i landed on my back and slid over 75 feet or so..
it laid me up for a month just growing skin back and as young as i was, i wasnt even doing anything stupit, just stupit **** happens when you have other itiots around you.
well not trying to scare you off, just like to see you post more stuff in the future!!!
alrighty then later
..jay

Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM

Yeah the gear is something I'm not going to skimp out on, especially being a n00b rider. I'm a follower of Murphy's Law, so I always try to plan for the worst. The worst being I ride into a bridge abutment at 60 mph

Quick Reply: Really, really new guy checking in