New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Rattling sound help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009 | 10:42 AM
|
Question Rattling sound help!

Hi I am new here I thought this site could help me do some troubleshooting.
I bought a 90 cbr 600f with my life savings ($2000) and It seemed to make a quiet rattling noise at low rpm. The noise has gotten louder and it now sounds like a deisel engine. It still starts fine and seems to have power but I don't want to ride it again until i figure this noise out. I live in Banff and there is no mechanic for miles so i was hoping someone here could help me out. I could take a video and put it on Youtube and put the link on here if you think that would help. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2009 | 11:20 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

No need to panic just yet !
The 1000F and 600F's all suffer from camchain problems, so if it still quietens down when warm it should be OK for a while. You can replace it yourself with a bit of knowledge and maybe the manual.
Here's a link
www.blackbears.ru
I think the manual is listed - if not, let me know and I'll look for it.

Old 05-07-2009 | 03:40 PM
|
Default Thanks for your reply

It doesn't seem to get quiter when warm.The only way I can describe it is like ticking/rattling sound like a deisel vw rabbit. When I rode it last it seemed fine. It backfires a little bit too I didn't notice that before just pops here and there nothing major. Is this normal for an older bike? I am worried about riding it do you think I should stay off it until this gets checked out? Could it be anything else other than that?

Old 05-07-2009 | 08:51 PM
|
Default cbr video

Here is the video the sound isn't the best though. Thanks for your help this is a great site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6u9BJ9bmis

Old 05-07-2009 | 11:54 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Can't open the vid - I get some message about skimlink or something......aaaaaaaaarrrrrr
Does it backfire when running against compression ? If so my old 1000F does it too, not a problem - if it's backfiring under load, it could be valves need setting, dirty carbs, or just that the camchain is causing the valvetrain to be out of whack.Even just dirty plugs.
Hard to tell from here.

You may wish to ask the boys in the 600F section too

Last edited by Shadow; 05-07-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2009 | 08:42 AM
|
Default Thanks again

I am only planning on riding this bike for the summer then selling it so hopefully the timing chain holds steady.

Here is another question. Speaking of chains I have a very strange issue with the drive chain. With the bike in neutral I can sometimes move the chain about an inch or so. But when I push the bike so the chain rotates to the other side I can only move the chain like a cm or 2. I can also pull the links off the back sprocket a few millimeters. No wear on sprocket that I can tell. Time for a new chain? How severe is this issue?

This site is so awesome!
What a day and age I live in that allows me to do this amazing.

I love this site thanks again yoiu guys are great.

Old 05-08-2009 | 10:19 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Hello 90Hurricane, congratulations on your new bike. My bike has similar issues as well, although I'm changing the CCTL this weekend. Let us know how it goes...
Welcome to CBRF

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the video and yeah, it sounds lousy. Definitely try and give it a good tune-up & see if it doesn't improve. Post your question (with vid) in the "general tech" section to get more more suggestions Good Luck

Last edited by Incognito; 05-08-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Rattling sound help!