New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Possible New Guy From Atlanta...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible New Guy From Atlanta...?

Hey all

I'm 27 years young and relatively new to riding...been riding for about a month ago. I passed the MSF course, got my license the next day, and picked up a bike about a week later. The bike I got is a Suzuki GS500F, and so far its been pretty fun. The thing is that I feel I will outgrow it way to soon bc aside from it being pretty nimble, it's an absolutely dog when it comes to acceleration. I dislike like having to to twist the throttle wide up to accelerate in order to keep up with or pass cars. I have a WRX with a turbo swap, and can easily notice the car is exponentially faster than the bike. I'm not a crazy speed demon and have more common sense than I did when I was younger, but I know when I will be dissatisfied with something enough to change it. I would preferably something along the lines of an easy going 4cyl bike to grow on. And from my research, easy going sportbikes for mature beginners are:

1. YZF600R (not the R6)
2. ZZR600 (not the ZX-6)
3. FZ600R
4. F2, F3, F4 Honda 600s
5. GSX600 Katana (laughing stock of sportbikes) A.K.A. Can-O-Tuna
6. Daytona Triumph 600

So I have posted the bike back up on craigslist asking 3k as a start, and now I am currently looking at a 1996 CBR 600 F3, and I would like a little advice before I move forward with the purchase. This bike has 5,8xx original miles on it and the guy is asking for $3500 and will throw in 2 helmets and a jacket (not that I really need the accessories bc I already have that stuff).
Overall the bike looks great. It was dropped from the previous owner, but the current owner used touch up paint. The drop only seems to have affected the left side fairing and apparently the mirror cracked off too, but it has been re-attached and touched up on paint (I plan on changing the body anyway). It can use new tires definitely (I'm on a budget - are Shinko Ravens any good for these bikes?). And lastly, the owner recently change the spark plugs and the oil. When I went to look at the bike yesterday, the headlight bulb blew out (it was stock oem from 1996 lol) and he said since that happened and if he couldn't get another bulb throw in by the time I picked up the bike, he'd knock another hundred off the price. Other than that, its been sitting in his garage for the last 9 years, only being ridden a few hundred miles a year. Every thing else is stock as came from the factory on the bike. So this can be a good and bad thing I'm assuming.

Now I am curious to know if 3500 is too much being that this 96 cbr has less than 6k miles and looks pretty good or should I try to get him to knock more off the price?

Thanks in advanced for your help. ATGATT

Last edited by greenc51; 04-14-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Im a relatively new rider myself and I pretty much spent the last year researching all bikes new and used. I don't know everything about bikes but spending 3500 on a 96 cbr seems kind of crazy. You should go on cycle trader or craigslist and see what else you can find. I would be willing to bet that you can find something much newer for that price and you will have a better quality, and hopefully not dropped bike.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Yeah, I was figuring that, but 3500 is my price cap, and everything else I have searched for is out of my price range, has a ton more miles, has underlying mechanical issues, or has been fully painted which I've learned that to mean it was dropped hardcore (believe me, I've been search the internet high and low). Check out my local CL atlanta motorcycles/scooters - all classifieds - craigslist and you'll see what I mean

Last edited by greenc51; 04-14-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM

I went to cycletrader.com to take a look at some stuff around your area and I found a few bikes that wouldn't be too bad. I drove about 300 miles to pick up my own bike cause I got a killer deal on it, so I searched within 250 miles of an atlanta zip code. I figure if you find the right one it isn't so bad to take a rode trip to pick it up. Check it out: Honda Cbr600 Sportbike Motorcycles

Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Welcome aboard from another Georgia rider. I live not far from Lake Lanier and about 30 minutes from the N GA mountains. Come and join me for a ride when you want.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM

I forgot to add the fact that you can talk any bike down as well. I know there is only one bike there under your price range.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM

the one under my price range has a salvage title

the others i doubt anyone would come off 1000 off a price

Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM

this just popped up - i think it might be a new ad because it wasn't there a few days ago. good price too, no miles listed. let me give the guy a call.

2000 Yamaha YZF600R for sale in Flowery Branch, Georgia - CycleTrader.com

Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ga_skyline_rydr
Welcome aboard from another Georgia rider. I live not far from Lake Lanier and about 30 minutes from the N GA mountains. Come and join me for a ride when you want.
sounds good! i'm a new resident of GA, and seeing the sights of this states has been a pleasure for me so far.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 PM

bump for additional suggestions from f3 owners

Quick Reply: Possible New Guy From Atlanta...?