New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

One more without a bike!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is hard to tell you what to get specifically since you are also looking for a good deal as far as price goes. I would just not be in too big of a rush, winter is coming, and people usually unload their bikes at a better price, so you may be able to get a deal. My first bike, I found a pretty good deal on one in the middle of winter, went up and checked the bike over and bought it. It needed some TLC, but nothing major. If I were you, I would shop around, do not rush into anything, make sure you are comfortable on the bike, there are no major problems, and the price along with the repairs you are going to have fit your budget. Try and have somebody who has knowledge of bikes take a look at the bike with you and give a second opinion. Do not be afraid to walk away from bikes.

P.S. Stop yourself now, and do not drain any more money into a cavalier..... You will thank me later. There is really no potential there. Save your money and get a decent motorcycle, and use the cavy for when it rains or is cold.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Lol the Z has potential it will come, but I'm just going to do a 3400 swap into right now and run it with my Megasquirt unit that I picked up. It won't be seeing rain when I'm done with it, but I'm not going to put into it what I had planned, your right it's not worth it, but to each his own right.

I'm thinking that when I pick up a bike it will compensate for no turbo in the Cav though lol.

Good News also! I found out that my moms friend still has the bike don't know why she said it was sold but it's not. Said that his son has first dibs on the bike and if he doesn't come up with the cash by spring it's mine! and the mom says she doubts he will been 2 years waiting lol, so what I know about it, It's a 1993 CBR600 (F2 I'm assuming) and it only has 18,000kms he wan'ts $2500 for it and It's clean! I didn't have a great look over it last time but I will again and take some pictures also!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:07 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you man; it was exhaust on my 02 ga gt or consider a bike. lol and I decided to go forward with the bike idea; however, being a university student (in Saskatchewan by the way) I dont have the money to do ANYTHING right now

how did that engine swap go on your cavi? usually guy's put the 2.4 in the grand am and not a 3.4 in a cavi lol I like the idea. PM me about it!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:15 PM

I would go for the 600F2. When I was in my early 20s I wanted an Interceptor 500 so badly.. I finally got a nice one and rode that for a year or two. It was a smallish bike with just enough power - then I got a CBR600, and while it was a bit more powerful, it was a lot smoother and easier to ride in some ways. I think if I were in your place I wouldn't think of the F2 as too much bike to handle, just remind yourself that you need to be careful on ANY bike when you are new rider. Without seeing any pics, I would say that the price is pretty fair.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MacNeil
Lol the Z has potential it will come, but I'm just going to do a 3400 swap into right now and run it with my Megasquirt unit that I picked up. It won't be seeing rain when I'm done with it, but I'm not going to put into it what I had planned, your right it's not worth it, but to each his own right.

I'm thinking that when I pick up a bike it will compensate for no turbo in the Cav though lol.

Good News also! I found out that my moms friend still has the bike don't know why she said it was sold but it's not. Said that his son has first dibs on the bike and if he doesn't come up with the cash by spring it's mine! and the mom says she doubts he will been 2 years waiting lol, so what I know about it, It's a 1993 CBR600 (F2 I'm assuming) and it only has 18,000kms he wan'ts $2500 for it and It's clean! I didn't have a great look over it last time but I will again and take some pictures also!
My point probably went out differently than I meant it to. I was just saying that to get out of the car the performance you are desiring, you would have to put a lot into it just because the cavalier is not the greatest platform to build off of. There are other cars out there that are a lot easier to obtain parts for, and the numbers would be better in the end. But every man is different, if you like the car, then do what you want with it....... just after you get the bike though. Good luck with the bike.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks and may have took it the wrong way lol, but you are correct the 88 - 94J's are alot harder to come by anything, I basically have to make it all myself lol, I don't know what it is about the car bu it just looks really good to me and I love it! could be that it was my first car and since than I have owned 4 lol I'll throw a pic up of my last one later on, but thanks for the good luck with a bike lol.

cbr89600, I totally understand that you have to be careful on any bike, I have been not only reading the handbook everyday now so I can get my license lol but also thinking of ways that I can make sure I stay safe, for instance not stunting or thinkin I'm the **** just because I have a bike and showing off to friends lol.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo 2500 may be a little steep for an f2 they ussually around me go for 1000 to 2000 tops i picked mine up for 1800 and it was perfect no small sitting around problems that add up fast. do what you want just look around more before making a decission and remember craigslist is the sh*t

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 AM

welcome