New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

One more without a bike!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking One more without a bike!

Well hello all!

I'll start off with some stats on myself I guess lol, I'm 19 years old, Name is Graham, haven't ever ridden a motorcycle, rode a dirt bike once around a field in my backyard was a friends but never again did I ride it, lately me and a few buddy's have been messing around on mini bikes and it has really gotten me liking the whole idea (even though on a much, much smaller scale)

So even after doing this I never really got into trying to look for a motorcycle or anything as I have my car which has been taking up to much of my time as is (1994 Cavalier Z24 3400v6 from a grand am gt)
But a few weekends ago my moms friend showed me her hsubands bike a 1993 CBR600 and mentioned it had been sitting for a few years and was going to sell it to me for a decent price $3K not sure if that is a good price or not but it only has 18K km's I sat on it and fell in love!... Well funny thing I just found out while writing this, they sold it this past weekend, kind of a buzz kill... At the same time not really cause I was hoping it was an F3 and it wasn't.

Now I've spotted a 03' CBR600RR for only $4k obo it has higher miles (55,000 kms) but I'm sure for that price I could still enjoy it for sometime, they said it's been well looked after, comes with a power commander and k&n filter, 2 brothers carbon fiber race pipe, flush mount signals on the front, and integrated on the back.. Looks like a nice clean bike what do you guys think about that?

I'm really hoping to be on a bike this spring, I've been hooked ever since sitting down on one!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CBRF, Graham!
I'm guessing you're from Canada?

Anyway, in my personal opinion I wouldn't go for a 6rr out of the gate for several reasons. First, it's gonna be more expensive to buy, insure, and repair. I'm a firm believer in first bikes being "beaters" so to speak. If you drop it, it's gonna hurt your ego and wallet much less on an older bike like an F2/F3.
Also, the insurance is probably gonna be so much higher on an RR or similar for a 19yr old. It sucks, I know, but it's how it is. (been through that chit)

What's also cool about older bikes is that you can usually get nearly as much money out of them when you go to sell as you paid when you bought them. So when you go to "upgrade" you've got more skills, and you aren't out a ton of money.

Another thing is that the standard 600 will probably be a little more forgiving in the throttle (and comfort) department for a new rider.

Just my opinions, man, do what you like.... but if it were me, I'd probably just save up for a cheap older 600 or something that runs good and looks decent.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

I'm pretty much with Kilgore here. Myself and everyone I know who rides dropped their first bike at LEAST once. Start with something that's fun but you won't be out as much cash or aesthetics if and when it happens.

That said, if you can afford it and its what you have your heart set on, nobody's going to be able to stop you so Just check out the insurance prices and stuff before you buy so you don't get a nasty shock.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys! Yeah I'm in Manitoba, I wish I could have snagged that F2 from my moms friend, oh well, I was kind of wondering if the rr would be a bit much for a beginner lol I've already read and learned so much from this site and only joined today, the rr's just seem so much damn easier to find lol, but your right much more pricey and I don't have the cash really to be fixing a bike thats gonna cost me that much to begin with, let alone insurance.

On second thought I did notice a 92 F2 around somewhere.... here it is http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ158003901 What do you guys think about that? I still have to save up some cash, my car is dipping to far into my wallet, doesn't help when I have plans for a turbo for it, but that may be put on hold if I really go forward with getting a bike.

I was also thinking i don't have to go with something like an rr because being a first rider I'm thinking that even a f2/f3 would be alot of fun for me, that rr I was talking about just kinda stood out cause of the price, I've read and know that if I really wanted I could also swap over some of the new fairings, but all in all I would probably just repaint the old ones to a better scheme of my choice.

As far as insurance again, even the F3's are up there (for me anyways) something like $378 a month never looked into the rr's, my Cav is only $120 lol and thats with being 19 and having no "Special privaliges" so to speak...

Thanks again for the reply's! keep em coming! and I know I have LOTS to learn before I take my first outing! I'm glad to be part of the cbr forum!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Oh ew, Canada and motorcycle insurance is a bear Yeah.

That f2 you linked looks in pretty good condition. They can be really sweet bikes.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM

Found another http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ145524944 lol yeah Canada kinda sucks in some ways but meh, atleast I'm not in Ontario I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford both car and bike than lol. Although right now it would be me saving up for spring to buy the bike and insure it for riding season, which isn't a bad thing I suppose not like I can drive the thing in the winter anyways lol.

If I come across the right deal though, right now I have 2 or 3 (can't remember lol) cars I have to fix it up and sell plus a truck and a paint job for someone, I'm sure I can come up with the cash for a bike if I see one.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say start small and work your way up, you'll be a much better rider for it trust me. Stay away from a RR as a first bike period, I say stay away from a 600 as a starter bike but many will disagree.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:58 PM

I was looking at some 125's but for the price I think I'd rather go ahead and turbo my car, wouldn't be the same experience, but would be a bit cheaper and would have lots of fun with it! I'm thinking would even be a bit faster lol, but I really want to get into a bike! After sitting on that one, like I said, I've been hooked! lol.

I guess this is really my teeter totter now, turbo my car.... buy a bike..

Last edited by MacNeil; 09-26-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Once you buy the bike you probably won't put any more time into the car

Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Lol, I was wondering if my attention would go a little more over to a bike if/when I get one lol. I mean the Cav is suppose to be a summer car, when I'm done the body work and this thing would be a summer toy (obviously) I've seen some people that have a good project going on and than they get a bike and BAM! Car is up for sale lol.

I just checked insurance out of curiosity and the 03' 600rr is the exact same price to insure as a F2/F3 I forgot in Manitoba it doesn't matter about your age! Lol don't know how that skipped by me, gotta love Autopac! I'll be keeping my eye out though for the next little while and just gather some money so that when the right deal comes around I can jump on it!