New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Noob with question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noob with question

thats not a bad bike to start with
IMO it's uncomfortable though, so if you haven't sat on one i'd recommend trying it and some other bikes on at a dealer
i did this and cut the rr out of my choices

and i agree to take it to a parking lot first
a 600rr is very different from a quad or dirt bike
it's like comparing a camaro to a monster truck...well maybe not quite that bad

Old 12-11-2007, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: jersey8
my question is what are some basic things to focus on when looking at a used bike?
Welcome to the freak show!

There is no one area to focus on....the entire bike is the focus...front to back...both left and right sides...everything is the focus.

I agree with the others to bring someone with youthat knows their way around bikes. If you can't then here's a basic list of what I check:

Make sure all the buttons and lights function properly. Surprises during inspection sucks.

All rubber components for cracking (Fork dust boots; wheel bearing seals, everything rubber...intake boots; overflow lines...I mean everything)

Check for scoring on the forks

Leaking fork seals

Check brake pads and scoring on rotors

Condition of the chain/ sprockets (make sure there isn't any "waving" of the teeth)

Check the conditon of the fluids (especially brake fluid...for some reason no one changes their brake fluid)

Check inside the fuel tank for excessive corrosion

Check for crash damage on the engine cases, up underneath the cowlings, check the frame and sub frames such as the upper fairing mount for anything that looks bent or if the paint is chipping from being bent. Typically it's crash-related but quite often it's the result of a driveway tip over.

Look for anything that appears to be "too clean"...chances are it is for a reason...find out why.

If there are accessories such as aftermarket turnsignals check tosee how they're wired into the factory harness.Re-wireing someone else's hack-jobcan be a real pain.

Look for anyexcessive seepage aroundgasketed or mated surfaces (mostly motor)

And speaking of the motor, someone said make sure it's cold when you arrive to look at it...-->YES.
Make sure you are clear that you want the thing stone cold and if it's not, turn and walk away.......well that's just me and what I do.

Be wary of every seller. In general. Not to hijack, but I need to make a point of this...My 929 was described as "never been down". I drove an hour one way to find out the bike had been down, not once, but twice! Both from tip-overs sothe damage wasminor, but still existed...the bike was down once on both sides and I let the seller know it....it helped with the final price because I was able to lay the bull$#!+ card on him with how he described the product and my travel time.

Sorry for the novel but I just hate reading about people getting shafted and then having to post up on forums asking if anyone can fix <fill in the blank> or knows what <added doohickey> is/ does.

Good luck and I hope you land a sweet one.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had $5k to spend on a bike, I'd be checking this guy out, but maybe only offer $4700 so you have money left over for registration and insurance.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/503445365.html

If it has to be an RR, you'll find something a little older, with higher miles.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:46 PM

awesome. thanks for the heads up ill def haveta give him a call. would you happen to know what year that is? just curious

Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 AM

and big thanks to everyone elses posts. all your input will definitely help when i finally buy a bike.