New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Noob with question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob with question

Hey guys, great site you got going here. ive been in the market for my first used bike over the past 4 months and ill prolly have the proper funds by the time february/march rolls around. ive been lookin around on cycletrader, craigslist, and the for sale section on here. but havent actually looked at any bikes in person yet. once i get the funds ill be doing that. my question is what are some basic things to focus on when looking at a used bike?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned
Default RE: Noob with question

Q 1: Do you know how to ride, and what sort of experience do you have?
Q 2: Where do you plan on riding?
Q 3: What is your planned budget, for bike and gear?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 PM

if you've got any friends that have owned or ridden for a few years try to take them with you

but otherwise just check the frame and fairings for any sign of having been down
have the previous owner keep the bike cold until you get there, if anything is wrong with the bike it'll normally show up whent he motor is cold...not starting, smoking etc
look under the bike for any oil and let the bike warm up completely to see if it is burning off anything ie exhaust
check all the teeth on the sprocket, if any are pointy or broken then the owner didn't keep the chain lubed properly
and that generally means other maintenance might not have been done

Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM

i dont have any experience. im goin to be getting my license soon and then take the safety course. i have about an hour commute to work everyday so i was generally going to use it for highway and then a liitle bit around town at night and on weekends. my planned budget right now for bike and gear is about $5500. i already know what type of bike i want, thats not really what im asking about. i just was asking about specific areas to look at on a bike when im actually going to check it out in person. thanks for the input guys i appreciate it. i got a few buddies i can prolly bring along with me

Old 12-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Smart idea taking the course...sit on a few at dealerships and see what feels most comfortable to you. In buying anything used...looks for problems.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 PM

I would say take a friend that has a bike and has been riding for a few years...they will probably know what to look for, and better if they can test ride for you...good luck!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 PM

yea get a friend that has experience and knows what theyre doing. i agree with bwayers. pretty much check the bike from front to back including tires. warm it up and take it for a ride. what kinda bike are you looking at? obviously it should be a honda so thats a good start. haha...

Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 AM

i really like the 03'-04' cbr600 RR's. if anyone knows of anyone selling one in the nj/ny/pa/ct area let me know haha.
i know alot of you guys will criticize me for picking this as my first bike but ive wanted one for years, they're within my budget, and ive been doing alot of research on them so that i am pretty informed about them once i get it. im not a noob 100%, ive rode quads and dirtbikes before so i know how to ride and all ive just never rode in traffic. thanks for all the help though guys i appreciate it.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 PM

Dirtbikes and quads are quite a but different than sportbikes. So be careful when you start riding in traffic. I would take the bike to a parking lot first and do some cornering at different speeds for a while before you consider heading into taffic. Oh yeah and the 03-04 RR is an awesome bike I have an 03.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM

I did the exact thing that champ24 is talking about. No doubt it helps out. Practicing can only better your abilities of course. Ihavent got into much traffic yet myself but than again there really isnt too much traffic around here.Im without a doubt getting more comfortable on my bike now but sucks that it is now winter.
I think any Honda is a good choice. All the years that I have seen are bikes I would get. I'm just afraid of buying used. I've had one too many bad used vehicles and didnt want my bike to have ANY probs at all. To reedirate what everyone else says, take someone who knows what they arelooking at. Or if you cant get a friend to go have someone or even a dealer give you hints on what to look for in used bike. Well anyway good luck with yourself.

Quick Reply: Noob with question