New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Noob In NY

Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob In NY

Hello all,
My name is Josh, out of South Glens Falls NY. No pics to post as I don't own a bike yet; I'll be taking the BRC on the 27th and 28th. I've never put hands on a motorcycle before and have very limited dirt bike experience, three small rides about seven years ago, so I'm nervous but also very excited and eager to learn. I'll be taking the course with a good friend whom has never ridden either and three of us will be buying our first bikes within a year. For an unknown reason, probably because I’ve heard they’re easy to maintain, I’ve pretty much settled on a CBR F series as my first bike and am wondering if there are any suggestions between a CBR F, F2, F3, F4 or F4i for a beginner bike? I’ll be attempting to maintain this bike myself, as much as I am able, however I’ve never touched a blender motor let alone a land vehicle so lots of questions will likely follow.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The BRC is the right place to start. Make sure to check to see what gear is required to take the class. You will need it anyway when you get your bike.

The Fs are great bikes to learn on, but are not "beginner bikes." They will do all you want them to do and more.
Generally speaking, newer F4is will cost more than an older F but need less work into it to get it on the road. The choice is yours...

Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to CBRF.

have fun at your BRC. don't be too nervous. i know it's 2 wheels and a motor - but it's not hard to start riding a motorcycle. enjoy it - that's the easiest way to learn. listen to what those guys have to say, they know what they're talking about. the BRC is a great way to meet new local riders as well.

as far as the first bike - my first bike was an f3. i had rode a little dirt prior (a couple of times years before), so i had basically no experience whatsoever with bikes. it was a great first bike. just take it easy. don't go into the upper rpms until you're comfortable and have some miles under your belt. take care of it, and it'll take care of you. they're cheap and easy to work on.

the nice thing is that you won't grow out of that motorcycle. after you get used to riding, those F series bikes can really move when you get the inclining to go fast.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Welcome to the forum.

The BRC is the right place to start. Make sure to check to see what gear is required to take the class.
All they require is a long sleeve somethigorother, boots and gloves so I picked up a Joe Rocket jacket, boots and gloves. I figured I'd need them when I get my bike anyway and theres no time like the present to practice ATGATT...at least as much as I can afford for now.

Originally Posted by 74demon
The Fs are great bikes to learn on, but are not "beginner bikes." They will do all you want them to do and more.
I guess "beginner" is an inaccurate term. I want a bike that I can learn but won't have to sell for an upgarde in a season.

Originally Posted by Conrice
welcome to CBRF.

as far as the first bike - my first bike was an f3. i had rode a little dirt prior (a couple of times years before), so i had basically no experience whatsoever with bikes. it was a great first bike. just take it easy. don't go into the upper rpms until you're comfortable and have some miles under your belt.
Trust me, there will be several weekends of just puttering around the neighborhood before this hits the highway for commuting.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Ale,

The guys above have given great advice. Good luck with your BRC. Enjoy.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 PM

Welcome to CBRF...

Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome, best of luck with your BRC,and enjoy it

Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everybody. Is there any serious MPG disparity throughout the F-F4i line? Does any single model stand out as better overall in that regard? It seems a lot of people, at least from what I can tell cruising around the internet and forums, started with an F4i.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM

I took the BRC on 7/27/2013-7/28/2013 and passed with a three point lead on my friend so I'm feeling pretty good. That little course was definitely an eye opener and I find it amazing how many skills I take for granted when driving a car that I somehow have to learn from the ground up when riding a motorcycle. Looking through turns and keeping my eyes up were something I had to consciously remind myself to do. I see a lot of parking lot and early morning street practice in my future before I hit the main roads. I've also thrown the idea of starting on an F4i out the window and am instead looking at 500cc bikes or smaller. Once I'm comfortable on a parallel twin how big of a jump would it be to go to a late 80s Hurricane?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM

I have about 20 years of experience off road and last June I was in your place exactly. My first road bike? A 2002 Ninja 250. Yes a 250. That little bike taught me more about riding in 1,000 miles then any bigger bike could have. Why? There was no "motor intimidation". When you rip the 250 to redline, it moves just fine and makes no attempt to hurt you. In fact a mature rider can be happy on one of these bikes forever. They are cheap, easy to maintain, light, plentiful and well revered among people who started on one.

Since you mentioned it, I would look for a Ninja 500 or 250. Ride that around until you are comfortable and then buy the newest and best kept F series you can afford. I ride the F3 and have basically breathed new life into what was a neglected bike that wasn't cared for.
That was my only option as I didn't have a whole lot of cash to spend and the project option suited my situation. A 600 is never a good "starter" bike but some have started on one. It had been said a million times "its all in your right hand"

Good Luck and keep the wheels on the road!!