New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Noob here from Tacoma Wa.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here from Tacoma Wa.

Hello all. Im fairly new to riding and new to honda bikes. I've been riding a 81 yamaha 750 seca for a couple months and after riding a few of my friends much newer sport bikes I decided I'd get one too. Ended up with a 07 CBR 1000rr last week. Got a really good deal on it too. 7000 brand new. 0 miles.

Unfortunately it didnt take me long to lay it down. A day and a half after I bought it I was riding on a pretty rough mountain road and midway during a turn at about 30-40 mph I hit a rock in the road. I Tried to slow myself down and ended up going outside the turn into some gravel. I saw the trees and ditch coming at me and pushed the bike down and away from me. I ended up with a few scrapes and bruises but nothing serious. Got right up. My bike got pretty lucky too I think, It did go off into the ravine but landed on a kind of ledge so it was only about 6 feet down instead of 15'-20' to the bottom. The plastics are all ruined, the left side fork cracked, the shifter and clutch lever both broke but that was it. Rode it home after a very nice girl towed it up to the road with her car.

It was burning oil on the way home quite a bit but has since stopped. I was thinking oil probably emptyd into the exhaust a little bit while it was upside down for a few minutes and then got hot and burned?? Does that make sense?

Anyways, I have already started ordering parts for it and have learned my lesson about mountain roads. I've started looking around a little bit in the forum and It seems like there is a lot of good info here. Thanks for reading and wave if you see me riding around in Tacoma Washington.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTH!!
Dam man, that sucks. I'm glad to hear you're ok, though.

Welcome to CBRF, and I'm sure you can find some help here while putting her back together. Did you not have insurance on it?

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 09-14-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 PM

Only liability

Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes...

Good job staying in one piece. Things like that (and what my bike are telling me right now) are why I went used and haven't started doing any body work yet. Welcome aboard!

Mind if I ask what you learned about mountain roads? We don't have any here in Philly but eventually I can see myself up in the Poconos

Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Watch out for rocks.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wr-ecks
Watch out for rocks.
Then I might be cool. Sub the word "pothole" for "rock" and then imagine the "rock" every 200-300 feet and you have Philadelphia

Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi & welcome to CBRF.
Glad to hear U escaped the crash relatively unscathed, bike sounds a bit worse though
Going from a SECA 750 to a CBR1000 is quite a big jump. Totally different handling characteristics and power delivery.
Let us know how the repairs go on the bike...with pics please

Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Well so far I have all the plastics stripped off, that was pretty easy. The fork looks pretty easy as well, but just to be sure Im leaving it on until the replacement shows up in the mail. I have a habit of forgetting how things go back together. Ill take some pics if you guys are curious what one looks like with no plastics and no gauges/headlights. looks kinda like a naked bike.

I've ordered the lever, the shifter and the fork already. Hopefully they don't slack on the shipping and I should have them before long. Now I have to either convince the wife to let me spend another 500 bucks on the plastics or sell the seca to my friend for the cash. (I just spent about 2000 on the car so she isnt too excited about me spending more money on the bike)

Oh yea, the cbr is quite a bit different than the seca, and I havent even made it over 5000 rpms yet. I am usually a quick learner and I can restrain myself especially while Im learning. Heres a pic of the seca, for no reason.

Name:  107_2776.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  214.7 KB

(yes, that really is a jason mask for the battery cover)

My other car is an Subaru STI, with a few mods so Im comfortable driving around at the speed limit in something that is capable of doing over 150 mph without much effort, so I should be allright. Especially now I've gone through a wreck and will be extra carefull not to do so again.