New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

newbs r us

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbs r us

i posted this in the new member thread, but i guess it can go here too.

well whassup, i'm dave, 25/m/VA/hot. i'm looking at getting a cbr here sooner or later just for some cruising enjoyment. i'm into racing cars (autocross and HPDE's/road racing). i eventually want to do club auto racing, but still can't quite afford it yet, and i've always wanted a bike, so thus where i'm at now.

i've been looking at the 99' to 0"? models. a friend told me that the chassis is better than the previous models, and there are fuel injected ones as well. The purpose of bike is just for enjoyment, not racing or anything. I'll stick to 4 wheels for that. As a kid i've fallen too many times on a bicycle at 20mph, and i don't think 160+ is going to feel any better, lol. (and yes, i've heard, i WILL fall, heh) I have pretty good mechanical experience, but know nothing really about bikes, so i'm here to learn. anybody have any advice/suggestions, let me know.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Default RE: newbs r us

The 99-01 F4's are Carb'd and the 01-06 F4i models are Fuel Injected. I have a 99 F4, love it, it's tons of fun. Respect the power of the bike, they're truely amazing.

Jason

Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 PM

does the FI have any real advantage over the carb'd?

as for the power, one thing i've wondered about is if the 600 is too much for me. All have have as far as motorcycle experience is a dirt bike back when i was younger. I've heard people say it's too much, and some say that i will want more. Personally, i think i will catch on fast and be comfortable with it, as i do with most things. I take the uphill esses at VIR at over 100mph in my car flat out, so i have some comfort with speed. however, i know the bike will feel completely different in the 'speed arena', lol.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Retired Administrator

The question "is a 600 good for a beginner" doesn't have a all in one answer.

You can start out on a liter bike (1000cc) if you are smart enough to not roll on the throttle. I personally feel a 600 is a great all around bike. I've ran with my buddies on 750s and liter bikes and kept up. The rider plays a big role in how the bike performs.

The bottom line is... you say you already get your speed needs on 4 wheels... so if you stick with your "The purpose of bike is just for enjoyment, not racing or anything" you'll be fine with what ever you buy.

The question of does FI have any real advantage over carbs.... not so much in power. You usually have better fuel economy, but that's not why we ride bikes. FI produces a cleaner running engine. Carbs have to be adjusted often and are a bitch with temperature change (cold nature).

One thing that comes into play when racing... carburetor bikes can roll on the throttle a little faster when coming out of a corner. FI is too touchy and you have instant power, but with carbs, you have a slight hesitation from when you roll on the throttle and the power builds. I can't say this because of experience... it's from watching hours of racing.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:49 AM

thanx. all noted.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:24 PM

thank you thank you

Old 08-23-2006, 03:33 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 08-23-2006, 04:15 PM

Welcome! I have a 600 and love it, check it out!

Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 AM

thank you...

sweet bike. i want one so bad, lol. everytime i see one on the road i just stare, heh. i'm trying to find a place with a good insurance rate. my current auto company (Nationwide) has been great with cars, but the bike rate is obnoxious. Plus, i'm going to take a riding school to learn what is probably everyday stuff for you guys. But I current I also have to fix the car before i go to summit point in october. i bent something in the front suspension at VIR under braking, so i'm replacing some stuff i know is wearing out anyways. ah, money money money.

Quick Reply: newbs r us