New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

newbie says hi and has questions ;D

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie says hi and has questions ;D

Hi everyone... I stumbled upon this site recently and I noticed you guys know a lot about bikes. I am 23 years old (getting old) and am about to graduate from college. Once I get a job I plan to buy a bike but I'm really stuck on a few things and I can't seem to find any answers. I did a bunch of browsing through web sites and whatnot but all in all I haven't seen much that could help me. Money isn't much of an issue as I will have a bit excess for this project, I'm more concerned about making the right choice. I've spoken with a few people I know who ride and I was told that you outgrow the 600cc one pretty fast. I was wondering if that is true. I'm not really looking at doing any racing per say. Maybe some track work here and there (big maybe) but besides that I just wanna ride with some friends and just enjoy it. I've outgrown that whole street racing thing and I don't really plan on going full speed with it, so I was wondering if a 600 will do what I need. I know the 600 is lighter then the 1000, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. Might be worse for traction but better for performance. I'm just really confused. I really like honda, they've made great products up until now and its relatively obvious why they make great cars, but I find it difficult to distingish between their bikes and the yamahas or suzuki. They all look the same to me as sad as that may sound. Anyways... I was wondering what your thoughts are on the subject. I know you've prolly gotten 1000 posts like this until now, sorry for adding to the nub questions. <3

Quick edit: ohh yeh, I almost forgot. I've been watching videos on google video and yahoo video and a lot of people seem to crash due to road conditions (dust, sand, etc...). I was wondering if any bike has some sort of traction control or something that will let you hold control in such conditions.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Default RE: newbie says hi and has questions ;D

i really dont think there is any bike with traction control even though it may sound good. Also from what ive heard from everyone ive talked to on this site tell me alot about how fast the cbr 600 actually is. I dont have a bike yet so i really dont know but ive talked to peole who have had a 600 for a couple of years now and still cant ride it to the bikes full potential. And i dont think the weight of the 600 has anything to do with its traction. The engineers of the bike prob took care of that. Well in any case hope some of this helped.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Hello Zeeroe and welcome...I'm new too.

I too don't have my CBR...yet...but from what I've seen and heard, once you grow tired of something like the CBR it's time to move onto something with wings.

...i.e. a plane.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:30 PM

hey...welcome. i'd say try out the six for a while and IF U DO OUTGROW A 600...then upgrade later ive had mine for 3 months now...not tired of it yet haha...

Old 09-08-2006, 06:18 PM

They've all been steering you in the right direction.
A lot of people will tell you to start on a 500 or even a 250, and then upgrade to a 600.
Myself, I started out on my 600 and I'm still loving it.
A 600 is still fast enough to smoke most cars on the road, including performance cars.
I highly doubt you'll get bored with it...ever...unless you're a total speed junky and need to blast down straight lines.
Good luck with your decisions!
--Acumen

Old 09-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.
You are definatly at the right place if you are looking for opinions on bike choice.
It's a matter of personal prefrence.
I started on a 600 and now ride a '06 liter bike. My ridin abilities did not exceed the capabilitys of a 600
However, it is my money and my choice. (Money well spent with no regrets)
Tons of experience on this forum to help you make your own decision.

Good luck and be safe!!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:13 AM

Welcome. Starting on a 6 is a good idea. Lets you know what your made of and is less expensive than a thousand in intial cost and insurance. So get out there see what you like. Sit on em. Go hang around bike events all that good stuff. With all the great bikes around you really cant go wrong. This is a great place for info. You will almost learn something new everyday. Froms tires to oil to mods and so on. So read up and post. Later and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:41 AM

600 all the way! Just like I have done with two fellow employees, I will do this for you. Get a 600. Ride the hell outta it. When you think you have outgrown it, call me up. I will lead a 50 mile ride on Rt 26, push the bike to the near breaking point, and see if you feel like you could possibly go any faster. If so I will go shoping with you to find a 1000 or so. Point is, unless you are looking for a straight line rocket, you need a larger bike. If you want to Ride a bike, hit the back scenic routes, pin its ears back for all you can hold on for, get a 600. Not knocking a larger bike by no means. If you want to be able to pick the front off the ground from 90 mph, get a 1000. If you are happy with picking the front up at 70, a 600 is fine! I personally think a 600 is a little bit easier to carve corners for a beginner. They handle extremely well if you have enough *****. As far as Honda, Suzuki, Kawasuky, whatever you like. They all have different features that you may like/dislike. As far as comfort, I have to Say HONDA all the way, but that is me. All of us will help along the way with whatever questions you may have. Hurry up though. The world is much better riding on 2 wheels!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:06 AM

Hello & Welcome!!