New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Newbie Question from Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question from Houston

Hi guys,

I a newbie to sportsbikes - have ridden street bikes and dirt bike in my teens and ealy twenties. I always wanted to buy a Sports Bike (CBR 600) but due to school and job didn't have time/resources to buy one. Now in my thirties, I am in position to afford one. But without any experience of Sports Bike, I am not sure if it would be too big for me as I am not getting much help from the sale reps at few dealerships I have visited.

I like the 600RR but the sales rep was suggesting F4i for its comfort and being tamed?? I would like to hear from you as you own and many of you may have gone through the same dilema.

with best regards,

maakif.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Retired Mod
Default RE: Newbie Question from Houston

being that you seem to have a decent amount of riding experience, i would recommend whichever 600 seems to suit you and your riding needs the most. the 600rr is more suited for the track and offers a higher performance level at the cost of comfort. that's not saying that the 600rr is uncomfortable, but the f4i is better suited for long rides. and dont think of the f4i as a low-power lazy boy. it can hold its own quite nicely when pushed. they are both great machines and i believe that you would be more than happy with either one. another point of consideration: if you ever plan on riding with a passenger, the f4i seems like it would be more comfortable for them too.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Retired Administrator

Welcome to the forum maakif.

The RR and F4i and both great rides. As for power, they have just about the same set-up so you will be happy with either. The only discomfort I have with my RR is riding with a passenger. To relieve the fatigue on my wrist/palms, I stay tucked in most of the time with my elbows down and in. With a passenger of any size, you'll have to support their weight when you stop so you can't use the same riding position. But my wife has taken several long trips with me. It's the short in town with traffic lights that'll kill you.

Old 12-17-2005, 03:16 AM
L8X

when riding with a passenger, have them place their hands on the gas tank. that way, when you brake, they can push against the tank and not smash into you. to prevent from falling off on take off, they should squeeze their knees into your hips. that is the proper way to ride pillion. it may feel good to have the ladies wrap themselves around you, but it'll be hell on your wrists.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:23 AM

I just recently went throught the same thing myself and I will tell you what I did.

I was really leaning towards getting a 600RR. I went down to the dealer and he had both the 600RR and the F4i on the floor, so I tried them both out. For me, the RR put more weight and pressure on my hands and wrists. The F4i seemed to have a little bit different riding position so I was not leaning on my hands quite as much. Also the seat seemed to be a bit more comfortable and had more padding.

These are just my personal expeiences and how the bikes fit me. Go to your dealer and see which one seems to fit you best. I ended up getting the F4i and so far I really like it and am having a blast on it.

Old 12-17-2005, 02:54 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 12-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Banned

Aside from looks (the RR is better looking) it depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. My hands have gone numb in as soon as 11 minutes on a 1000RR (yes I looked at the clock), people say your body adapts and that problem goes away, but I get about 50 minutes on my throttle hand on the F4i before I need to shake it out a little. The RR seat isn't as comfy as the F4i but I didn't find it bad.

Although the RR should be faster at the track, do you plan on going to the track? My buddy (41 years old) uses his RR as daily transportation (25 miles one way) and loves it, but also says that a ride to Daytona Beach is far enough (70 miles one way) in one stretch.

My guess is for 95% of the riding you will do, the F4i will a much better choice especially if you are in your mid 30s or early 40s (like me).

Then again, the RRs are better looking and chances are chicks will dig it more.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:17 AM

Welcome I would go F4i for comfort, I dont like my RR after a 100 miles or so.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:18 AM

Thank you all for your advice, suggestion and above all honest opinion. I am leaning more towards RR because of the following reasons: 1) Split seat 2) under carriage exhaust and better braking system. I do agree with the comfort level but aside that they are more or less equal. I would basically be riding it over the weekends for pleasure and not planning on cross country rides.

I truely appreciate your feed back and looking forward to utilize your wisdom in coming months and years.

Regards,

maakif

Old 12-18-2005, 04:43 AM

I just saw the new 600rr and they are sweet. I know people are loving the F4 but the new RR is bad ***.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question from Houston