New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Newbie in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in Oregon

Howdy from one who just found this forum,
Looks like a lot of good reading, but hey, I am basically lazy, so I'll just post a question.

Anyway, I sold off my Harley (too much $$ parked in the garage), but I can use some of the funds to replace the third bike spot. So after I pay some bills should I look for a "classic" like an 83 cb1100 or a cbx, or something further removed from the stone ages?. I have be ridding longer than I want to admit, (grew up and some how survived blasting around on an RD400)
Been thinking about a suzuki 650 (yea I know its a cbr forum), also like the old honda nt650 hawk (supposed to be great in the twisties as long as you don't really need to pass), and I found a local 93 cbr1000. (oh, thats why he is posting here) with 10K miles and vance n hines, corbin gunfighter and a nice givi case, and the asking price is 4K, but I might be able to get it for my intended offer of about 3K. ( I look kinda foolish handing off the side of the transalp in tight corners)

I need more of an upright or standard riding position like an st1100 or st1300, and I no longer ride to be the first bike to the top, I just ride to enjoy the curves, and if you want to go faster, I'm happy to pull to the right and make room, I always accommodate rabbits, as they have saved me many a ticket.
So, finally, what are good cbrs I should consider?

I have a Valk interstate for long trips and two up riding, a transalp for blasting around town and the logging road here in Portland, Oregon. So the new bike should be something fun for around town and rides in the twisties. Oh, yea, being a cool bike wouldn't hurt.

I do ride year round so I need a bike that will last (yea forget about the he had a harley part). Valks last about 200-300K, (54k on mine and just broken it) and transalps are good for 100-150K (44K on mine today). The honda hawks last 100-150K, so how long do cbrs last?

Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Default RE: Newbie in Oregon

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Retired Administrator

Welcome to the forum. If you're looking for a more upright riding position, stay away from the newer RR's and the likes. Look at the F4's. The problem with trying to set a mileage limit on a sport bike is... some where during the age of the bike, some kid gets a hold of it and stunts it to death. I've seen some F3's with over 100k miles and in great shape and I've seen a few 2000+ bikes look like crap and not running.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:17 AM

Well here is a thread in the F4i Forum about miles on the CBR600F4i's

https://cbrforum.com/m_119828/tm.htm

Welcome to the forum.

P.S. - Does that bike have heat?

Old 07-04-2006, 04:35 PM

thanks for the link, and no I don't have heating clothing on the bike. But it does have heat, as I discovered on a ride from Portland to Seattle for coffee one February am (was about 28-30 degrees at the 0 dark hundred start of the ride). I was wondering what all the guys in front of me were doing leaning over their bikes, first one side, then the other. I learned that you can put your gloved hand directly on the valve cover, wait about 40 seconds, and bingo, toasty warm glove. The timing in critical because if you leave the glove on the cover untill you feel warm, you have cooked some glove. The one guy not doing this routine had gerber