New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Newbie!!! Getting Ready to Buy 1st Bike & I Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie!!! Getting Ready to Buy 1st Bike & I Need Help!

Waya Say Everbody,

I'm new to the sportbike world and I'm lookin to buy my 1st bike. I'm 19 and i've rode dirt bikes for pretty much my whole life. All my buddies ride R1's but thats not me. I'm a HONDA guy! What i'd really like to have is a 900rr or maybe a Smokin Joes Edition, but I don't know, you all have alot more experience in this subject than I do. So what is your opnion of a good 1st bike?

Thanks alot, Drew

Old 10-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Default RE: Newbie!!! Getting Ready to Buy 1st Bike & I Need Help!

Well my first bike was a 250 and now I've got a 600. For boys, testosterone kicks in and they hate having anything smaller than a 6. A few of my male friends started on 6's and I know a few who have smaller (250/500). It's ultimately your call on what you think you can handle. But buy used, so you don't get upset like I did when I laid the bike down. You'll lose your footing and "ker-plunk" the bike falls on the side. It sucks, but everyone does it. I did it on both bikes...however if you do buy new...make your first purchase for the bike - FRAME SLIDERS!

Old 10-05-2005, 05:38 PM

thanks alot, i really appreciate the advice

Old 10-05-2005, 07:14 PM

I too have ridden motocross almost my whole life. I would suggest a 600 for first bike. When I decided to buy a street bike I bought a 1991 CBR600F2 and rode it for 5 years before moving to a 929. Take it easy and learn the fundementals for the street. We have an advantage when it comes to riding since we both started out on dirt bikes. Alot of the basic ideas translate to the street. If you have some friends that ride, go riding with them and learn a few things. I would also say a 600 for insurance reasons. Being 19 years old can kick your *** as far as monthly premiums. Wear protective gear! I see to many newbies wearing tennis-shoes, t's, shorts, and NO gloves. VERY BAD IDEA. I'm now 28 and loving my new REPSOL. Ride safe.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:03 PM

They are all pretty good. I had a 91 F2 that was really a fun bike. Then a 95 900RR. I still have it although it is for sale. I bought a new R1 (eeekkk). The good thing about sportbikes is that you have to twist the trottle for it to become "too much bike". I have a friend that bought a 600RR as his first bike this summer. He does fine on it. Its not the bike that will get you in trouble, it's riding beyond your ability that gets you in trouble. A 250 can kill ya. If i were you I'd get what i wanted and what i could afford and just be careful.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the advice you guys.

Clemson725 could you give me some info on the 1995 900rr you have for sale?

Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 AM

Getting an inexpensive bike to start out on is always a good idea and when you get comfortable you can easily move up to a larger bike without investing too much money in the old bike. Also you can pawn it off for extra cash for new gear.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 AM

sure, check out the 900 forum. i have it listed there with a picture.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the family. There are a lot of 929's out there that you'll be more than pleased with. The 900 is an awesome bike as well. Juggle the two and see.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:47 PM

Came from the same mold dude. I've been riding MX for 20 years, and always wanted a street ride. My first bike was a brand new '93 600 F2 and rode it for 5 years without ANY problems. Sold it to a guy who had experience, on a v65, and he crashed it in two weeks, thought he was Miguel Duhamel. Any bike that you ride is really only as dangerous as you make it. Take, for instance, being able to ride a 125 MXer as fast as James Stewart or RC and get on a CR or KX 500 and use the same riding style. Chances are you will hurt yourself at some point. You can ride the 500 fast but it certainly requires a different riding style. Same thing with these rockets on the street. I'll bet 90% of the people, myself included, that ride these bikes aren't capable of riding one of the 600s to their limits let alone bragging about how much faster their R1 is to the ZX, GSXR or the CBR that their buddy has. Buy a bike, that YOU like, with a good reputation for reliability, I've always been partial to Hondas, and one that fits your budget. A new 600 will put a few grand extra in your pocket compared to the bigger ones. I wish they made the Repsol bike in a 600. I could have a new CRF 450 too. Good luck with whatever you choose and be safe out there, automobile people aren't looking out for you so you have to ride for them too. Have fun !!

Quick Reply: Newbie!!! Getting Ready to Buy 1st Bike & I Need Help!