New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Newbie... First Bike Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie... First Bike Questions...

Well guys and gals looking into getting my first bike shortly. Trying to buy one now while they are cheaper as opposed to in the spring when the prices and demand goes up...

Anyway about me/what I want... I will be taking a MSC in the spring when the local community college starts up the classes again. After that I will be getting my lisence and starting to ride. My brother got his lisence but cant afford a bike yet so he is going to be helping with the test driving when I go to look at bikes. Once i get the basics of riding down I will be using my bike for primary transportation during the year when weather permit (school, work, and 3 rides back home from school every now and then). After a few seasons maybe start a little stunting, daily riding, and riding some nice twisties ( so pretty inbetween bike)...

With that out there I am starting to lookin into the bike to get. Three main choices right now are between the f4i or a more starter bike like a ninja 500 or 600 katana basicly something to ride for a season or two to get used to).

Mainly I am looking for input on possibly maintance cost differences I will see with them, handling, performance, ability to handle passengers for later on, and any other good info yal can help out with...

Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Newbie... First Bike Questions...

Hello & Welcome!!

I took the MSF course...good stuff! I started on a 250, then moved up to the 600. Be wise in your choice. Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 AM

I went with an '06 F4i, and I had absolutely no riding experience what-so-ever. Been riding for about a month now, and I have no regrets. It's plenty powerful, but not so much that it's hard to control. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have been happy with a "starter" bike. It's all a matter of opinion tho - I'm sure there are more than a few "experts" on here that will disagree with my decision to buy a new 600 for my first bike. Whatever you decide - good luck with it!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

There probably won't be a lot of test driving. There will be test sitting, but I don't believe too many people lend out their motorcycles to novices to test drive.

With that said, an F4i was my first also. If you are very careful and ride well within your means, you will be fine, but it is still very fast, with great brakes, and very fast handling... The thing you have to remember is that just because you don't crash something doesn't mean you can ride it very well. I feel that I would have become a better rider if I spent time on a smaller ninja then stepped up.

Whatever the case, be careful and enjoy, riding is one of the true pleasures in life.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:13 AM

Thanks that is some of the input I am looking for.

While yes I know most people will not let me test ride, that is why my brother who is experienced and heck has a lisence would do that (just to make sure everything runs, shifts, and act as it should...).

Another question that some may be able to answer is do the upper level MSF courses help at all? I was planning on taking the beginner one, but noticed they have two other stages as well... Good investment in taking those classes or a waste of time?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mferrari

Another question that some may be able to answer is do the upper level MSF courses help at all? I was planning on taking the beginner one, but noticed they have two other stages as well... Good investment in taking those classes or a waste of time?
Once you've been riding a while I think you'd be better off spending the money on track days or race school than on the MSF experienced rider class, assuming you already feel totally comfortable riding in traffic.

Regarding the bike choice, I definitely agree with the guy who said that just because you don't crash doesn't mean you're riding well. You will improve faster on a less powerful bike that you can push to its limits.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Hman416

I went with an '06 F4i, and I had absolutely no riding experience what-so-ever. Been riding for about a month now, and I have no regrets. It's plenty powerful, but not so much that it's hard to control. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have been happy with a "starter" bike. It's all a matter of opinion tho - I'm sure there are more than a few "experts" on here that will disagree with my decision to buy a new 600 for my first bike. Whatever you decide - good luck with it!
+1

Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 PM

i got a cbr600 F3 as my first bike and i love it so far. very easy to ride and perfect size for me (im 5'8 175lbs)

Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 PM

1st bike? I would recommend a turbo charged CBR 1000RR. I'm sure Mr. Turbo makes one.

Seriously, I dont know about even an F4i as a beginner. You will more than likely drop the bike, so what ever you do, I recommend buying used. Then you wont feel soo bad when you make beginner mistakes. I would not buy a Katana. They are probably ok for something, Im just not sure what. The 500 Ninja wouldnt be bad, but for the same price you could get an F2 or maybe F3. I would pick up a used/clean F2-F3 and ride the hell out of it.

Once you've been riding a while I think you'd be better off spending the money on track days or race school than on the MSF experienced rider class, assuming you already feel totally comfortable riding in traffic.
+1 I learned more my first track day about riding smoothe and good, yet safe than I did in the 20yrs prior with just street and MX riding.

The thing you have to remember is that just because you don't crash something doesn't mean you can ride it very well. I feel that I would have become a better rider if I spent time on a smaller ninja then stepped up.
+1 on this too. If you dont believe that, go to a track and watch a newb on the latest greatest liter bike get his *** handed to him by an SV650.
Welcome and good luck. Enjoy the bike. What ever you get.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:55 AM

I am planning on a used bike. I found a hand for of f4i's all for under $4,000 that i am looking into... As far as F2's or F3's I have only found one semi-local and it is the smokin joe ed. f3 but he wants $300 less than the f4s...

Quick Reply: Newbie... First Bike Questions...