New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New user (sort of) UK

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user (sort of) UK

Afternoon all, hoping the majority of members here are the 90% who still see me as worthy of a *nod* when im out and about, not the 10% that snub.......quad riders lol. and maybe a bit more active than a certain cbr500 forum i joined and have yet to even receive a hi.

I recently had a major overhaul and rejig of my tired of 2005 quadzilla 250 road legal machine and shes now running a 2016 CBR500r lump. With original loom, dash etc. Even the Cat, because im a good boy!

Pyschotic FrankenBike
Now the bit im trying to fathom currently is how the creator of said beasty has done the cooling system. its a non-standard radiator, with a relocated top cap but not presently running a reservoir. I have the part and am looking at hooking it all up properly but for the life of me using the honda parts diagrams cannot fathom where the small diameter outlet pipe from the reservoir goes to in the system or on the engine? And ive assumed the return pipet to the reservoir is from the small pipe coming off the radiator top cap?

Ive made this masterful work of art hoping it makes sense and someone here can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

Pipes galore

Old 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, CBR Red and Black though, cant see the expansion tank where's that, and welcome to the forum

Attached Thumbnails New user (sort of) UK-cooling.jpg  

Last edited by CaBaRet; 11-20-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi, CBR Red and Black though, cant see the expansion tank where's that, and welcome to the forum

Hi and thanks. as per my post, that's what I'm looking to sort. I have the expansion tank, but it wasn't fitted by the guy that built the bike for me. It's on a closed loop coolant setup as shown in the above pics. I want to now fit the expansion tank but can so far only figure out that the small pipe off the top radiator cap goes to the top expansion tank inlet. Not sure where or How the lower expansion chamber outlet connects to?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry matey just added pic to last post other expansion pipe to atmosphere, think you might have them the wrong way round

Last edited by CaBaRet; 11-20-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Apologies your photo didn't load up at first that will help a lot. So does one connector on the expansion chamber just connect direct to radiator top cap and the the other just..... Hangs loose??

Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Sorry matey just added pic to last post other expansion pipe to atmosphere
Wow, thanks. That solves my two week headache. My expansion tank is a long, thin looking thing with a huge filler neck. I thought it would work same as a car so you have out from expansion to system, around system and rad and a return back to the expansion.

So that means on this system the lower one is the outbound AND return pipe to and from the expansion chamber, and the upper one is just ventilation to prevent pressure and allow fluid level to change?

Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Correct , , , so from the rad cap to the bottom of the tank and the upper to atmosphere for expansion

Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no input for your question...but welcome.
Interesting repower....and nice ride. Not unusual to see those 4 wheelers around here on the road, but they are usually stock and beat from farm work and neglect.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Excellent I shall get onto this next weekend thanks for the quick fix :-) don't suppose you'd know off hand what wattage the indicators are on this? I have them as parts with load other stuff to sell but means I can't break the buggers open to check. From the relay I guessed 5w (23w max flasher +3.4w for the dash) but this was obviously wrong as they flash like a strobe at a 90s rave! Not great with electrics myself.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by locopny
I have no input for your question...but welcome.
Interesting repower....and nice ride. Not unusual to see those 4 wheelers around here on the road, but they are usually stock and beat from farm work and neglect.
Hi. Thanks. Yeah she was old and tired and the opportunity for a 650 mile 2016 engine came up and I couldnt pass on it. She certainly has a lot more attitude than she had before surgery. I won't post any pics of her condition just before she went away, I had lapsed a tad lol

Quick Reply: New user (sort of) UK