New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New and searching

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and searching

Ok im new, joined to do some research as i do before buying anything motorized. Im looking for a bike to start with that

A. Is in the price range ($2000 tops) i dont want a loan on it.
B. I wont get bored of it in 2 months.
C. Isnt too small for me (6'5" 200lbs) I do not want to look like im riding a mini bike.

Anyone got years/recomendations, i like the looks of the CBR's i found a few, a 91 600f2 Super Sport, 92 600f2 and a 93 900RR, all around the price range. The 900rr has 37,xxx miles, and the 91 600 has 22,xxx, the 92 isnt advertised.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

well the 600 is a better bike to learn on since it doesnt have as much power but i think 900 would be more comfy for your size. its your call, they all are good bikes if they are in good running condition.

you have to go and sit on both of them and see how they feel, make your choice from there.

good luck

Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum BigE.

See if you can raise your limit a little higher than 2K...it would open up more possibilities, even to FI models.

I agree that a 600 would be a better platform to learn on. You can always move up later on. The older CBR600s don't have as aggressive seating position than the 600RRs/etc. Example: the F4/F4i gives you a more straight up seating position than the '03 600RR & up. I find the F4/F4i to be fairly comfortable riding compared to the more aggressive seating position of the 600RR.

While there is certainly nothing wrong w/ the older models you mention, I encourage you to get the newest model that you can afford. You'll have fewer maintenance issues to deal w/ & you can focus on riding.

Good luck & have fun shopping.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Maintenance isnt something that scares me away, i have no problem with fixing something that goes wrong if it isnt something mostly done by a computer (which is why i like older). The budget can be raised a little but i would have to draw the money from other funds i have budgeted. If the right deal comes along than me and the wife may consider it, but for the most part id like to stick to 2000 and i can upgrade in 2 years if i want when i EAS out of the military.

I do not know much about bikes, which is why i ask questions and am open to opinions so i can learn and maybe stay away from a "bad" bike.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To clarify, my meaning of getting as recent a model as possible…is to help insure less cost in maintenance or initial daily roadworthiness setup cost. While I understand the budget (especially in our current economy), what good would it be to spend $2k on a bike if you have to put another $1k into it to bring it up to where it needs to be?…or, if it needs more frequent maintenance due to age, that costs more? See my point? I don’t mean to suggest the older bikes aren’t good ones, b/c Hondas definitely tend to last & last. However, w/o knowing the maintenance history of older bikes, you often don’t know what you’ll need to do maintenance-wise b/c of their age (& mileage). See where I’m going w/ this? Of course, if you find an older bike that is pristine & well cared for, then by all means, you’re good to go. Its all about condition & being able to verify it…& putting as least money into it as possible to have a reliable bike.

In a nutshell, there aren’t any duds w/ any of the particular models you list. ;-) You just need to be sure to know the maintenance history if possible & the true current condition. If you don’t have experience w/ doing a proper & thorough motorcycle pre-purchase inspection, I’d recommend taking a friend w/ you that has some experience &/or asking the owner If they will allow a pre-purchase inspection at a factory Honda service center b/f you buy it.

From your comments, you sound like you are no stranger to tools, working w/ vehicles & doing maintenance. This is indeed a plus. If you can find your way around a service manual, you’ll do very well w/ motorcycles.

I know how military pay gets spread thin…even w/ allotments. I just want you to have the best bike for the least money. ;-)

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We want to help. For specific model questions, you can ask in those particular sections for owner feedback, pros/cons, experiences, etc. You’ll get some good feedback in the different sections.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Since we are all clarifying meanings and what not, in no way am i for sure wanting those years nor bikes. Just wanting to know if anything i found may be worth it or not. The price of 2k isnt set it stone per say, but it doesnt get much looser than that unless the person im buying from wants a wrangler than we may be able to work a trade. Im open to ideas on bikes around that range, years, size (im not wanting less than a 600), pros/cons. This forum has way more knowledge than i would be able to find over in Afghan around my compound so if someone has something worthwhile to mention dont hold back. You (gotcbr) are right, i dont want to buy a bike for cheap and spend another grand fixing it up.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Would suggest cycletrader.com as it has a good search engine. I just found a 2000 Honda CBR929rr in IL for $2,500 that claims low milage, clear title and looks clean. I think a 600cc is small for your size.

Likely it will be very hard to find a $2k bike that is not a lot of problems.

Good luck and thanks for your service!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM

My only worry is getting a bike that has too much power for me (just starting) and end up killing myself. I have changed my driving habbits alot since High School but i worry if i accidentally open it up too much id wreck or something like that. I know im not going to be redlining it let alone racing it, im not that stupid. Ive heard different things regarding first bikes, like aslong as you respect the power you'll be fine all the way to you'll kill yourself with anything over 600 because of throttle response.