New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New rider right here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New rider right here!

Hello, the name is Luis, from Ontario Canada, just purchased a 2001 CBR F4i 2 weeks ago with 16000 km for $4,200.00, took the motorcycle riding course last weekend and so far so good. Loving the bike, but since I am new to motorcycling, I know nothing about maintenance. Only thing I did is lubed up the chain with the stuff they sell at Canadian tire. Thats about it. Would like to hear from you guys as to maintanance and mods on the bike. I would like to get both headlights on at the same time, as well as being able to open the passenger seat (for some reason the key doesnt do anything and cant open it). If you could point me in the right direction would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum and riding!
Its a good idea to do all the fluids when you get a used bike. Change the oil and filter, coolant, and brake fluids. Check the tires (air, condition, and manufacture date), adjust the forks to your weight, and clean and lube the chain. Welcome to the forum and riding!
Its a good idea to do all the fluids when you get a used bike. Change the oil and filter, coolant, and brake fluids. Check the tires (air, condition, and manufacture date), adjust the forks to your weight, and clean and lube the chain. A deep cleaning of the entire bike is a good way to get to know your bike as well as look for missing or loose bolts. Replace the air and fuel filters and spark plugs. A deep cleaning of the entire bike is a good way to get to know your bike as well as look for missing or loose bolts.
Have fun and enjoy riding and your time here.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF Louis! Congrats on your new to you F4i! F4i's are great all around sport bikes.

Kudos for taking the rider's course as well! Always like to hear that a new rider gets started off properly, learning safety & basic riding technique. Build on that & become a responsible rider.

As for maintenance, you need to follow your owner's manual service schedule. If you don't have an owner's manual, that's ok. You can find the online version on the factory Honda service manual here on the forum for the F4i. Spend some time familiarizing yourself w/ the manual, the bike's systems, & general maintenance. The factory service manual has procedures for you to follow to walk you thru general maintenance. Most typical maintenance is really straight forward & generally pretty easy.

Also, you'll find that the F4i section here has tons of info of pretty much every aspect of the bike. Take some time doing some searches for various topics & you'll find many threads on how to do tasks. Speaking of which, there have been threads on - being unable to unlock the rear seat. W/ the split-seat version, you can remove the front seat & use a coat hanger to pull the rear cable to unlock the rear seat. Once you have that rear seat off, you can find out what the problem is & get it corrected...its usually something simple. Find those threads - there are pics as well.

Good to have you w/ us.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the welcomeing 74Demon. I will check all the fluids and go into deep cleaning of the bike, I guess I shoulda done that before I started riding it, but I was way too excited. Already put 3,000km in 2 weeks lol. So I better do things right. Thanks!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Thank you very much gotcbr, I already downloaded the service manual, I get paid this wednesday, so I will be off to the Canadian tire to get me all the things I need to get my bike in great shape. I will be doing a lot of research in the forum to become an expert about cbrs lol. Thanks again!