New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Rider...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider...

So I am new to the world of motorcycles. I just finished my MSF riding class. I am going to get a used CBR 600 this weekend. Likely, a 2001 600F4i, or a 2004 600RR.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for in a used bike? I am kinda doing this on my own. I don't know anyone who rides. Although, I have met a few very friendly and helpful people in my MSF class and at the MotorSports store.

I am going this weekend to look at some bikes and was wondering what I should check out. And questions I should ask. I have done a ton of research on street bikes and feel like i know my basics. Basically, what I'm looking for is some friends who can guide me along the way. Everyone here seems exceptionally friendly and eager to help.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT ON THE ROAD!
Please let me know "what's up", so to speak....

Thanks a ton.

Nate

Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New Rider...

hey Nate :-) ..welcome and good luck in your search ...I am sure a lot of guys will be along shortly to advise you ..my expertise kinda stops with my F3 bought new in 1998 .. after that I kinda got rusty but still know lots of the basics :-)

Jules

Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Banned

Start smaller for a year or so, maybe a couple of thousand miles. You will learn alot more on a smaller/less powerful bike than a newer 600. The problem is that a 600can sneek up on you, it will seem docile until it hits the powerband and it throws you into a corner to hot and you don't know what to do or god forbid you grab too much of either front or rear brake.

Alot of people get a newer 600 and do OK, but quite a few get hurt or dead because they can't get out of situation that the powerband gets them into. You may catch some crap from people about getting a little ninja or cruiser to learn on, but it will be the safer way to learn such a dangerous activity. But a sportbike is not the best choice for a first.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Start smaller for a year or so, maybe a couple of thousand miles. You will learn alot more on a smaller/less powerful bike than a newer 600. The problem is that a 600can sneek up on you, it will seem docile until it hits the powerband and it throws you into a corner to hot and you don't know what to do or god forbid you grab too much of either front or rear brake.

Alot of people get a newer 600 and do OK, but quite a few get hurt or dead because they can't get out of situation that the powerband gets them into. You may catch some crap from people about getting a little ninja or cruiser to learn on, but it will be the safer way to learn such a dangerous activity. But a sportbike is not the best choice for a first.
I have to say this is incredibly good advice here .. if you have any doubts about your abilities then start smaller ... and read "don't crash corner fast" .. it could save your life :-)

Jules

Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started on an older F2 (I also dropped it once at about 10 mph). The older 600 models may be more docile. Here's a thread on buying a used bike: https://cbrforum.com/m_16005/tm.htm

Old 05-15-2008, 09:25 AM

the best way to do it istry the bike if possible and which ever you feel right on,
dont buy the bike because of what it is,it must be right for you,not sure how tall
you are but if you do like the RR's i think Honda does a lowering kit.good luck.