New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider

Hey everyone, I just recently purchased a 2007 CBR600RR and I'm loving it. Currenly riding in the lansing area, not necessarily the best place in the world to get the best use outta the bike but honestly i've been having too much fun to care...i'll be posting more pics soon.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to motorcycling! It's hard to describe to the masses, but DANG it's fun.
If this is your first ride, be sure to get the gear. Helmet, gloves,jacket and jeans, minimum. Start hunting for boots and pants/chaps soon, thereafter.

It also benefits to never push 100% on the open streets. Always hold back (speed/braking/clearance) for that lightning strike in front of you. It will happen,
have the reserve to deal with it. Dogs, cars and other road debris is God's hint to
slow it down.

Which leads to the next hint, keep your attention as far down the road (and to the sides) as possible. It doesn't matter where you are, it's where you are going.
You want to constantly be figuring the optimal path and then the possible paths.
You go for optimal, till that car is in front of you, then it's time for the possible path that works to avoid that car. If it's in your head already, it's an immediate execution.
Other-wise, you have to add steps, i.e. calculation>decision>then execution. While
all of that was going on, you have traveled that much closer to the point of
un-avoidable.

Hope these ideas help plant good habits, so you can enjoy your new passion as long
as I have been doing the same. ;-)

Ern

Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Take a MSF course as well. They're fun and they teach you the basics, things that some people out here in AZ lack even though they ride $20,000 Harleys. Like the previous poster said, wear all the gear all the time (ATGATT). I do it even in the 110 degree heat. I like having skin and I have two small kids. Meet up with some people in your area and have a blast! I just started going on group rides and I can't get enough of it. Good luck and keep the rubber side down (unless you're wheelien').

Oh, and WELCOME!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

there isnt much more to say after those guys. ride safe.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
welcome to CBRF

there isnt much more to say after those guys. ride safe.
Oh there is one more thing to say: take care of your bike and it'll take care of you.

Always be aware of your bike's condition. Check the fluids (coolant / oil / brake) regularly. Check the tire pressure and inspect them for damage regularly. All your controls (brakes / clutch / shifter) should be tested before seeing how wide the throttle opens cause it'll suck worse to have the brakes go at 55+ mph than 10 mph. And if something doesn't feel right, get off the bike and find out why.

In time you'll get to know your bike so well that you'll hear the slightest change in idle and feel when the front is a couple psi low. But still make sure you have hard facts (checked the sight glasses / tire gauge measurements / ect) to back up those feelings.

Rubber side down!

P.S. You know you have a headlight out?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Only thing to say is to ride safe, and have fun doing it!!