New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New from Niagara Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from Niagara Ontario

Hi all,
I have just recently purchased a 1991 600f2 with 59000 km (roughly 37,000 mi) for my first bike. I am a complete beginner in the vast motorcycling community, meaning my terminology for things will likely be incorrect. I am extremely excited to start learning more about the sport and culture, and take in as much as I can from the forums and the individuals who mediate and contribute to them.

The previous owner included front and rear stands in the sale, however the rear stand was missing a sleeve on one of the "swingarm holders" (I'm not sure of the correct term). I am currently storing the bike and was skeptical about whether or not they would hold, which is why the kickstand was down in the photo. They have worked well so far.

I'm unsure about the model and material of the exhaust. I know that it is a Yoshimura full exhaust (titanium?) with a carbon fiber slip on muffler (trs? rs-3?). I will include a photo, perhaps someone can identify the particular model. The modifications done by the previous owner include:
  • Yoshimura full exhaust
  • Modern style mirrors
  • Honda decals
  • CF look-alike rear hugger
  • Battery
  • Cam tensioner
  • Synchronized carbs
  • Tinted windscreen
  • Tank pad
  • Grips
There are probably other things I'm missing, but those are the basics. The plastics are ok, but could use some new paint and matching bolts. They look great from twenty feet though! There are a few missing bolts here and there but all in all I'm really happy with it as my first bike.

Here's one more photo I liked.

Cheers!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard qedmoto! Nice intro.

Congrats on getting your F2. That white seat really pops!

Rear swingarm stands are set up to hold via swingarm spools or pads (commonly referred to as spooled or standard). Yours looks like the pad type.

Not sure of your Yoshimura's specific model but yes, its a CF exhaust. You should be able to find a number on it somewhere. You can contact Yoshimura & ask them for the identification.

Be sure to get a copy of the factory Honda service manual, clymer, haynes...& familiarize yourself w/ the bike. If it hasn't been done prior to your purchase, be sure to change all fluids, filters, check your brake pads & lines, fuel lines, radiator hoses, etc. Check you chain & sprockets condition & replace if necessary. Looks like you may need tires from the pic as well. You main goal is having your bike in good maintenance, mechanical, & safe condition.

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course? You being a new rider, I would highly recommend you taking a safety course to learn basics in riding technique & safety. These courses are an excellent starting point toward safe & enjoyable motorcycling. You build upon what you've learned & help you create good habits that will benefit you in the long run. Don't know that you have the MSF course available there but perhaps this link will give you a better idea & help you find a course in your area...Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Good to have you w/ us!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome mate, I also have recently purchased an F2. Though I am not new to riding. Welcome to the forum, the guys and gals here are very helpful.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Welcome aboard qedmoto! Nice intro.

Congrats on getting your F2. That white seat really pops!

Rear swingarm stands are set up to hold via swingarm spools or pads (commonly referred to as spooled or standard). Yours looks like the pad type.

Not sure of your Yoshimura's specific model but yes, its a CF exhaust. You should be able to find a number on it somewhere. You can contact Yoshimura & ask them for the identification.

Be sure to get a copy of the factory Honda service manual, clymer, haynes...& familiarize yourself w/ the bike. If it hasn't been done prior to your purchase, be sure to change all fluids, filters, check your brake pads & lines, fuel lines, radiator hoses, etc. Check you chain & sprockets condition & replace if necessary. Looks like you may need tires from the pic as well. You main goal is having your bike in good maintenance, mechanical, & safe condition.

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course? You being a new rider, I would highly recommend you taking a safety course to learn basics in riding technique & safety. These courses are an excellent starting point toward safe & enjoyable motorcycling. You build upon what you've learned & help you create good habits that will benefit you in the long run. Don't know that you have the MSF course available there but perhaps this link will give you a better idea & help you find a course in your area...Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Good to have you w/ us!
Thanks for the correct terminoloy, the rear stand I have is standard. As for the exhaust, I will check the pipes/muffler for an identification number and will contact Yoshimura to inquire about the model. This may be a stupid question, but I am wondering about the classification of my exhaust. You mentioned it was a full carbon fiber exhaust, but does that correspond to the muffler material only? Are the headers, and midpipe constructed of some other material, say plain old steel?

I have obtained the user manual for my bike, where I was surprised to find many detailed installation/de-assembly instructions for everything! I will be doing a full run down of all the parts you have listed, although tires and rear brake pads are at the top of my list currently.

I completed a ministry approved motorcycle training course given by a nearby college where I was also able to obtain my second motorcycle license (M2). In addition, I have been accumulating gear over the past couple of years, and now have:
  • Icon variant helmet
  • Joe Rocket Meteor 3.0 textile jacket
  • Alpine stars textile riding pants
  • Alpine stars S-MX2 boots
  • Alpine stars leather gloves
Ill probably be posting some photos of my gear/bike in the f2 forum when the weather gets better here.

Nice looking bike you've got there BannWorth! Thanks for the welcome guys!

Cheers

Old 02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qedmoto
...This may be a stupid question, but I am wondering about the classification of my exhaust. You mentioned it was a full carbon fiber exhaust, but does that correspond to the muffler material only? Are the headers, and midpipe constructed of some other material, say plain old steel?...
Not a stupid question at all. No, only the exhaust can is CF covered. Typically, either the exhaust can only is replaced or full system front to back (headers, mid-pipe, exhaust). No way to tell from your pic but most likely, only the exhaust can was replaced w/ the Yoshi. While motorcycle exhaust systems can be made from steel, aluminum, CF, & titanium, most are steel/chromed steel - at least back to the can, which is often replaced w/ aftermarket (dif materials, same as above) to save weight, have more free flow of air/exhaust, gain looks, & change sound.

You sound like you are very squared-away on your gear, riding course, & maintenance diligence. Outstanding!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Ah I see..I'm going to have to pull her out and see if I can grab a part number off her. The previous owner said it was a full exhaust, but the headers don't look too polished to me, may have been a fib. Not too concerned though, just ready to start working on it when school's done in April. Besides, the pipe sounds like music to my ears after watching who knows how many youtube exhaust clips.

I've wanted a bike for what seems like forever, so I have been buying things here and there over the years to ensure a smooth entry into the sport (and hopefully track riding in the years to come). Thanks for clearing up my exhaust question gotcbr!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CONGRATS on a sweet ride you got there...Gotcbr is right on..new tires!

Regarding the exhaust system, being an older model, polish metal will loose it's finishing due to age, riding conditions, unless major TLC bi-weekly is perform, meaning going under the belly to clean and polish those steel headers + mid pipe & then the slip on can. I don't see any reason why you need to identify model#? it's the year and make that's is most important.

Like gotcbr said, got bike in mechanically safe condition is key. Don't worry about cosmetic too much, you have all the time to do that after bike is sound...

Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 AM

Thanks I'm stoked on it! Really happy about my decision to go with an older 600. I'm going to get on ordering some new tires this weekend, the rear one is pretty bald in the middle, and it seems like the PO developed a case of the chicken strips.

About the exhaust, I would like to know the year and make but I'm unsure of how to obtain such information. I was thinking a part or model number located somewhere on the exhaust would help, seeing as there are no other identification stickers, decals, or marks, other than the basic Yoshimura logo. I'm going to be doing a full run down of all fluids, parts, etc before I get her on the road, just curious about the exhaust.

Congrats on the ROTM, you've got quite the machine!
Cheers

Originally Posted by estate4life
CONGRATS on a sweet ride you got there...Gotcbr is right on..new tires!

Regarding the exhaust system, being an older model, polish metal will loose it's finishing due to age, riding conditions, unless major TLC bi-weekly is perform, meaning going under the belly to clean and polish those steel headers + mid pipe & then the slip on can. I don't see any reason why you need to identify model#? it's the year and make that's is most important.

Like gotcbr said, got bike in mechanically safe condition is key. Don't worry about cosmetic too much, you have all the time to do that after bike is sound...

Last edited by qedmoto; 03-03-2012 at 01:05 AM.