New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New from New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from New Orleans

Hello.

I joined this site a couple months ago and am just getting a chance to look around.

I’ve been riding since 1990 when I bought a worn out Yamaha Seca. Had it for about two months when I stopped in the Honda dealership. They had a 1984 V65 Sabre (V4 and 120hp according to a recent article in Red Rider) in very clean original condition sitting on its center stand. The sales guy fired it up and it had a low aggressive tone. I bought it right then and soon realized how well Honda builds bikes. This was my also the first time I dropped a bike. It was amazing how far I slid when I wasn’t doing more than 20mph.

Sold the V65 to get a boat. Dumb, but a got more than what I had into it. Wish I still had that bike. I later bought a 1994 1100 Shadow. It was very comfortable. Now married, a used the excuse that I needed it for parking where I was attending school. Had that bike for a while when a little old lady, in an 80s Crown Vic, decided to use the shoulder of the road as the right lane. I spotted her just before I began to make a right hand turn (from the real right with my right signal flashing). Locked the real wheel, slid past my street and kept the bike up-right. Granny kept going. I then drove around the block to cool off before walking into the apartment and receiving an inquisition from the wife. Ended up stopping and talking to two New Orleans cops. One told me he handled an accident where the driver ran a stop sign and hit a rider. She REALLY BELIEVED that she had the right-of-way because she had four wheels and the biker only had two. So a got home, walked in to see my nine-month-old son and cleaned an old 4sale sine and put it on the bike out by the main street.

A couple a years passed and you know the drill – spring – great weather and the bug bite. I told the wife I was buying another bike. Her response: If you get another bike, I’m filing for divorce. My response: I’m sorry you feel that way, but I’m buying another bike. In came the new 2005 VTX 1800 F – spec 2. Loved it, but got tired of the debates. (IF you’ve never driven a motorcycle, you’ll never know…. The old saying comes to mind: “You never see a motorcycle parked in a shrink’s parking lot.) So, yes, I caved and cut it free. Then…

The wife calls me at work with the “I need to talk to you – in person” call. Figured it was the end of the line. 180 degrees. She said she knows how much riding means to me and that she wants me to get another one AND she’ll ride with me (something she has not done since 1991 when I rode with her to St. Charles Ave for Mardi Gras. We drank a bit then I rode both of us to my apartment. VERY STUPID I know. No justification, but I was 21 and, well, VERY STUPID. She said she’ll never ride with me again, so it was a BIG shock to me for her say she’ll ride now. Especially, since we have two young boys. Her reason for converting was that she realized that if you live life in fear, you don’t really live.

[size=3][font="times new roman"]Now I made a pact with me myself and I that the next bike I would get would be a CBR 1000 RR. I brou

Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New from New Orleans

Hi and [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the site Joe!!
Well, that has to be the best New Member thread I've ever read!
Glad to hear you are back inthe saddle and your wife changed her view on motorcycles.
Having her around to enjoy your passion for bikes with you just makes it that much sweeter.
Congrats!!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the big welcome hondajunkie. I did post along-winded intro. I just started typing and got carried away.

Yes, my wife actually likes riding nowand swears that the stock passenger's seat is comfortable (enough). If I may say so myself, she sureis a "head-turner"with the motorcycle jacket and boots sitting on the back of my bike.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Hello & Welcome!!