New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Motorcycles

Hey all, my name is William and I'm trying to get into motorcycles. I'm a freshman at James Madison University. Ihave a Honda moped, which I modified a little to get going to about 40 mph. I'm looking to upgrade to something bigger, like a good cbr as a starter bike. I figure any tips from you guys would be great. I'm alsotrying to get in a MSF course but it seems that they are all full through summer. Another issue is that my parents aren't too keen about the idea of a motorcycle. So any suggestions on persuading them would be appreciated. I'm only 19 so I know insurance will be a big part of this decision. I was thinking of using AAA or progressive, but that will be later. So, ideally, I want to get a Honda CBR F1 Hurricane, or maybe an F2. I figure with insurance, gear, motorcycle, and maybe some little things I'll be spending about 3 grand. Thanks again and I have to say this forum so far has been very informative.

William

Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Default RE: New to Motorcycles

Wow ! 40 huh ? sorry I had to get that out [>:]well, welcome, 1st thing you picked the right site, lots o good $hit here, sorry I can't help with the parent thing, see isI got a 19 year old boy, goin to ITT Tech out here in sunny So Cal, and I worry about him just driving in a car let alone riding a bike, only thing is time and show them yer "RESONSIBLE" and not some "IRRESPONSIBLE SQUID" and maybe they'll get over it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Well as a side note I know here in Michigan, Progressive no longer offers a discounted price with proof of MSF course. Most companies do a 10-15% discount on your cycle insurance if you have the certificate of completion. So that's another thing to look into when you go to pick out insurance.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 AM

nice, JMU, tons of tang, like 70% female students still right? good place for a bike, not too much traffic, lots of countryside... save your money up, shop insurance, price out gear(atleast $500) then budget $2500 for a good runnin/lookin bike. if you got any buddies with bikes, ask them for advice, they may also let you ride? <---------------------------NOT!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 AM

Maybe im a Lil Bit Ol Fashioned(or just to safe)but my gear has run me way over $500. Helmet 500
Jacket 450
Gloves 110
Footwear 90
Pants 100
It never cost's to much to be safe,but 90% of the time it wont be your fault Good luck and be Safe......

Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 AM

at a minimum

150 for a helmet
250 for a leather jacket
50 for gloves.

this was enough for my "only" to break my collar bone, 2 ribs, and some mild rash on my right side in a 50 mph lowside. that and my poor pumas and movado watch, they didntfair too well.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:50 AM

Right now I have an AFX helmet, dot approved but I don't think Snell. I hear Snell is where it's at and I know I need to get a better helmet. And of course I know I need a good jacket, gloves and pants. Hopefully I can get a bike around 2k and the rest will go to insurance and gear. And yeah, there are a lot of good looking girls at JMU, that's one of the reasons I chose this place. You're right, there is a lot of country side and minimal traffic, I figure a great place to learn the basics. As for riding someone else's bike, one they wouldn't let me and another I wouldn't want to just for fear of laying it down and causing thousands of dollars worth of damage to those expensive plastics. I know a few peoplewho know people with Kawasaki ninja 250s. So I could always go riding with them. But even with a Cane I hope to blow right by them if I ever feel the need. Wish me luck. I'm still worried about my parents. They are paying for college so they pretty much have the final say. Thanks.

William

Old 04-03-2007, 03:47 AM

I wouldnt even tell your parents, i told my dad but only after i was in the hospital after my accident, and even then i only called cuz i was in a jam for money and he owed me, my mom, hellz no! i cant have moms worring about her son everyday, whenever my mom asks how i am doing regardless of how life may be treating me i tell her "everything is perfect"

but thats just me, im sure alot of people would think that this is horrible advice. me, im just a natural born F-up, so i try to stay lowkey as much as possible.

oh, and try not to burn downHarrisonburg on the annual block party like your riotingalumni almost did a few years back.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a parent, so I think I know where your folks are coming from. And the truth is, which they probably know, that motorcycle riders have far more accidents, and far more fatalities, than people in cars. So they're right to be concerned.

What they might not know is that a large majority of motorcycle crashes fall into one or more of just a few categories:

1) male under 25. Not much you can do about that for a few years.
2) inexperienced rider. Can't do much except get the experience. Just recognize how much you don't know. People who have been riding for decades will tell you they're always learning something new. Cockiness will get you killed. Take baby steps at first.
3) Rider with no safety training. Take the MSF class.
4) Intoxicated rider. This one is easy to control, unless you're a total moron.

I'd suggest you do a little research on the internet about how motorcycle crashes happen and how to prevent them. Then sit down with your folks and talk about it. This will show them that you take them seriously, and that you're responsible enough to educate yourself about what you're getting into.

Good luck and ride safe!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Joker_114th

Maybe im a Lil Bit Ol Fashioned(or just to safe)but my gear has run me way over $500. Helmet 500
Jacket 450
Gloves 110
Footwear 90
Pants 100
It never cost's to much to be safe,but 90% of the time it wont be your fault Good luck and be Safe......
OMG I must of gone overboard!

Jacket $600 (on sale reg price $800)
Helmet $600
Gloves $80
Pants n/a
footwear n/a

Quick Reply: New to Motorcycles