New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new member with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member with questions

Hi guys.

New to the forum and looking to buy a CBR. My background on bikes has been over the past couple of years racing motocross with my son. We have a Honda CRF450R and CRF250R respectively.

I have never owned a street bike and looking to get a CBR. Need some guidance on the key differences on the models. I am leaning toward a CBR600RR but don't know the differences to the CBR600F4i. Likely will buy used and have a budget up to $8k but would prefer a little less.

My key questions are:
- which is better regarding the 600F4i vs 600RR and why?
- what is considered high mileage on one of these bikes?
- is there any year models to avoid and why?

There is a very clean '03CBR600RR in Richmond where I live for sell (see link). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwj7FtL4txI He is asking $5,500 for all. Bike looks clean but I am cautious of the age and miles. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM

IMO, $5,500 for an 8 year old CBR is WAY too much money.

Suggested retail is only $3945 and trade in is $2700 (which is really low).

I'd offer him $3400 and see what he says. A lot of people have inflated prices in their heads for their motorcycles be cause they love them, so they are irrational. I'd understand if it was a liter bike as they retain their value better, or an RC51 because they ALWAYS have great resale potential, but not a 600RR...not for $5,500.

The mileage is low. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

im new to street bikes as well but that looks like a great price for the bike and all the extra stuff.

i would consider that bike for sure. 14k is not a lot for this year bike.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Sounds like 10-15k miles is not a big deal.

Regarding my question on specific years to look for or avoid - any input here would be great. Also - any details on what is different on the F4i vs RR would also be helpful.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Mostly I think the difference is in the riding position. the RR will be a little more aggressive while the F4i will be a little more neutral. As for mileage, if you keep them maintained properly, they'll still be running @ 200,000 miles (just ask ThirdgenLxi). 2001-03 the F4i had a split tail, while 04-06 they had a one piece seat. the 600rr started production in 2003...though owning a 2001 F4i, I don't know a lot of specifics on the RR's. My best advice would be to try one of each out and see which one you think fits you better.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
IMO, $5,500 for an 8 year old CBR is WAY too much money.

Suggested retail is only $3945 and trade in is $2700 (which is really low).

I'd offer him $3400 and see what he says. A lot of people have inflated prices in their heads for their motorcycles be cause they love them, so they are irrational. I'd understand if it was a liter bike as they retain their value better, or an RC51 because they ALWAYS have great resale potential, but not a 600RR...not for $5,500.

The mileage is low. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Just my opinion.
After recently being in the market for a bike (and a craigslist/ebay junkie in general), I've noticed that 600rr's tend to hold their value very well. It's a rare sight to see even some 03/04's going for under $4500. I don't know why this is, but they consistently seem to sell for a decent amount more than comparable 600cc sportbikes from any other brands.

Styling aside, the biggest difference between the 600rr and f4i is the riding position. The 600rr has a more aggressive leaned forward position, while the f4i sits a bit more upright. Comparing 2003 models from both, the 600rr gains a few extra hp.

Welcome to the boards, good to see another VA rider in here! Good luck with the purchase once you figure out which one you want.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Default Welcome !!

I agree that 5500 is a lil steep for a 03 rr but thats what their asking out there on craigslist. I just got mine about 3 wks ago and was scourin 5 states and was having a hard time finding a bike under 4k that wasnt rashed. Bikes are hot this time of year.
My 03 RR popped up on me, 2 hrs away. He wanted 4, I offered 3500 with just under 9,000 mi. I got there at midnite and he had over a dozen calls in a 5 hr span. I was gonna wait til next morning to go check it out but thought it might be sold by then.
There's only subtle changes between 03/04 and 05/06 until 07. Inverted forks on the 05/06 make them slightly more sought after. Besides whats been said above, nothing interchanges between the F4i and RR.

I have an 03 F4i and a 03 RR and love both bikes..

If you dont already know.. check out www.searchtempest.com
Lil easier search engine for craigslist

Good Luck !!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM

Mike, that's true but $5500? Damn it Mike, that's a lot of money! (sorry, I couldn't resist).

I think it has to do with where you live too. Bikes down here in Houston are generally cheaper than up in Pittsburgh. I guess density of population helps to lower cost.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
Mike, that's true but $5500? Damn it Mike, that's a lot of money! (sorry, I couldn't resist).
I definitely agree that $5,500 is too high, especially when my roommate bought his 04 600rr with 7k on it 4 years ago for $5000(in March as well), but at least around this area some are selling for that. I was looking for a 600rr for myself, but never found one in decent shape that fit my budget. Meanwhile, I found numerous gsxr600's, r6's and zx6rs (all fuel injected versions) of comparable years and mileage for nearly $1000 less.

I don't know exactly what it is, but 600rr's seem to always be in demand. Good news for anyone who's selling!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mx-4-2
My key questions are:
- which is better regarding the 600F4i vs 600RR and why?
- what is considered high mileage on one of these bikes?
- is there any year models to avoid and why?
F4i is more comfortable, RR is set up more aggressive for track riding.

Honestly? High mileage is the same as a car. 100k+ which is rare. Don't worry about the mileage, worry about whether the guy did scheduled oil changes and maintenance.

nothing to avoid, all CBRs are bad ***.

4k is reasonable for all stock great condition. If it has aftermarket stuff sometimes that is a plus, sometimes a minus. For example some places will not pass your inspection if you have aftermarket signals or fender eliminators. I watched a minute of that video and he said a new clutch was installed. If he has the receipts to prove it, don't be afraid to offer him a little more.

Work around the 4k retail value. Anything not good condition, subtract off that, anything aftermarket and nice, add to it. The point is to be fair in your offer... don't low ball him just because you can find a cheaper neglected piece of crap on craigslist. 5,500 definitely sounds high though unless there was more he did to the bike. I didn't feel like watching 12 minutes of the video lol.

Last edited by Dissevered; 03-14-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: new member with questions