New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hey Members,

I just bought a '03 CBR 954 with 1700 miles for cheap from a friend. It's my first bike since my back surgery 5 years ago. I had to get back on. I'm sick of sitting on the couch and not on a bike. I'm still in pain but everybody has there problems, right? I live in NE Ohio and will be moving to the mountains of North Carolina. I can't wait to take this baby through the mountains and parks.

I wasn't going to get a CBR because the "people" that live by me that have them cut and speed through school zones acting like there filming Fast and The Furious. You probably hate those people too. It's not the bike though it's the person. I love going to bike stunt shows. I've meet and talked to the Star Boyz. If you know who they are, there a motorcycle stunt group that tour and do shows all over the country and world. They got me to get back on. They actually cared if I rode again. If you here about them coming to a town near you go and see them!! They'll make your jaw drop!

I rode a Yamahas', and Kawasakis', but when I rode the bike I bought it was comfortable and felt like I magnetically attached to the rode. Boy does it have power though, haha. So I had to practice on a Honda 400ex ATV first to get use to the clutch, so I wouldn't kill myself. I still need to get some tedious parts for it . Like a bracket to hold the horn behind the tree and fix the lock for underneath the seat. The bike was dropped because of the owners wife knocked it over. It has all new plastic but a shizzy paint job. I'll get it painted when I moved.

Any tips for a newbie on best priced helmets, gear, place to get parts, anything would be appreciated. Can't wait to actually be able to contribute and put pics on this site. Hopefully Sunday night.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Default RE: New Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Regarding gear, I bought most of my gear from ebay. Helmet try shoei or arai or whatever your preference...good luck and post pics when you get a chance.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned

Welcome to the site. There is a bunch of good info on this site, use the search function for all your maintenance questions, it is the easiest way to quickly get what you need.

Enjoy the bike, warm weather is on the way.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Retired Administrator

A lot of members here, and people I ride with love Scorpion helmets and they're a lot easier on your wallet. I have a shoei, but will consider one when I'm looking for my next one.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the info!!! Love the bike doncollins!! Graphics and exhaust is killer.

What do you guys think about Icon helmets. One I seen is Icon Mainframe Solid Butatone and AVG Stealth Solid? It's going to be hot in NC in the summer so I need one that breaths. motorcycle-superstore seems like they have great prices.

I'm looking for one that has really good prephial vision, comfortable for a fat head, good air flow and for around $300.

Thanks for the help. As soon as I move I'll be ordering a new body kit, because the guy who painted the bike sucks! Plus the price of the kit is cheaper then painting it.

Love the site! Can't wait to be able to contribute!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Retired Administrator

Since you live in NE Ohio, will you be at the intermot (international motorcycle show) in Cleveland? I'll be there on the 26th.

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. It's the 05 Tribal bike and I had it outlined in blue... hell, everything is in the signature.

I've never been a fan of the Icon helmets (I like Icon, my jacket is a motorhead), but the helmets never fit my fat melon well. If you're planning on $300, I know the Scorpion 1000 is at that range and it's seems to be nice. Not a lot of colors to pick from or designs, but it has a built in flip down visor and a cheesy pump like a pair of 80's high tops. Wouldn't use the pump, but the visor would come in handy. I ride with a few guys that have the scorpion 300 and 700 and they love them. Anyways, the intermot show will have just about everything you would ever dream about trying on or looking at. I need to take picture of an Interceptor for my brother. He's in the shopping mood and may be buying one soon. Which means I'll have a key to ride an interceptor any time I wish (without the payment).

Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM

These guys usually have some sweet deals in stock...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/

Definitely go to the show and try on helmets. There's nothing worse than spending a chunk on a lid that doesn't fit comfortably...

Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM

I didn't hear about that show on the 26th. It must be at the IX Center. I'll definetly go with a couple friends. You work for a company that has a booth? My friend that's selling the bike said I can have his helmet. It's a HJC. I know quit a few that have HJC and they say there really comfortable. Once i get set in my move to NC I'll buy a new one. Right now I have alot of money wrapped up in this big move.
Here's a pic of my bike. It's a '03 CBR 954RR. The paint job sucks. Painter didn't sand during any of the coats. Bike is in great mechanical shape. had it checked out at my local Honda shop.

Name:  CBRForumpic.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  156.8 KB

Old 01-14-2008, 08:52 AM

Welcome to the family CementHead.

Hope your loving your bike. As for a helmet, Its one of those things you just gota drop the cash on. Least thats my feeling. YOur investing inyour Noggin. SOo find one you like maybe post a pic of it up here and tell us the make and all. SOmeone will tell you if its good quality.
I ride with a KBC VR2R Stealth.

Can't wait to see some pics of your ride.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 PM

The picture of my bike is right above your post, lol. I'm painting it in 2 weeks. I'm a professional detailer and the paint job on this bike is embarrassing for me to ride. I have a great painter who has been in multiple covers of magazines like Super Chevy, Truckin', Mopar, etc. He owes me a favor and wants to get into painting sport motorcyles. He's done Harley's and customs. I can't wait to get it done. But YES that's my bike, the grey CBR.

Quick Reply: New Member