New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Member - 1988 Hurricane 1000

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member - 1988 Hurricane 1000

Hello from Southern Indiana, I've pulled out my 88 Hurricane 1000, after ~ 18 years in storage. I bought it in 1993 and rode it hard for a few years. I did a lame job of prepping it for storage back then, so I suspect I'm in store for some major challenges getting it restored. It's the third of four older bikes that I'm bringing back to life. Hopefully, I can tap into the vast knowledge on the forum and also help others as I progress.

In my younger working days, I was notorious for buying toys, running them hard and then sticking them under a tarp in my shop. Now I'm retired, enjoying both the riding and the wrenching.

The following users liked this post:
MN Hurricane (04-13-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 06:34 AM
Welcome crew
Received 350 Likes on 326 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
Nice shop and good looking girl, very smart. By the looks of her, it should just be the usual fluids, tyres and of course tank / carbs unless you are really lucky.
Can't wait to see how you get on, good luck.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:32 AM

Thanks Al, I hope you're right and it's nothing too extreme mechanically. I'm more concerned about the underlying condition of the fairings. There's a few connection points that are a bit sketchy. Looks like I'll be learning some new skills around plastics welding & repair!

Old 03-21-2023, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 333 Likes on 273 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking bike you have there. I don't live there anymore, but I was born and raised in the cornfields and briers of southern Indiana. I still have family there and get back as often as I can. It's still where my heart is.

Old 03-21-2023, 02:56 PM
Received 431 Likes on 391 Posts

Greetings and Salutations!!

Very nice bike and looks in great condition!!! Luckily carbs in big bikes don't get clogged as easily as small 250s I'm used to. Wouldn't hurt to run through some PEA-based fuel-system cleaner (say NO to Seafoam, it's 30-40% alcohol, very last thing you want to be putting into your bike).

- Red Line SI-1
- Techron Concentrate Plus
- 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner #08814
- Royal Purple Max Atomizer 18000
- Gumout All-in-One (might be off list soon due to lowering amounts of PEA)

Last edited by dannoxyz; 06-11-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:42 PM

Thanks Hamlin6, Living here has been a pleasant surprise. We inherited my father-in-law's place and only meant to stay a year or two. Going on 6 years and looks like we'll be here awhile. Surprisingly, there's some great road riding in the region.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:49 PM

Appreciate the suggestion dannoxyz. With all the problems I have in my older bikes with the ethanol fuel, I'm debating whether to start running only non-ethanol or starting a more disciplined fuel treatment routine. I'm sure there's a lot of ideas on best methods. I'm going to pull the carbs off and give them a complete clean/rebuild. Will be interesting to see what shape they're in.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:07 PM
Received 431 Likes on 391 Posts

Ethanol's only problem is storage, especially on carby bikes. With vented tanks needed for proper carburetor operation, moisture gets in over time and ethanol sucks it up and condenses it in bottom of tank as liquid water. Seafoam makes it separate even faster if you let bike sit. Limit appears to be about 3-months, although many people have reported issues in as little as 1-month in super-humid climates.

For storage, fuel-treatments such as Stabil-360 Marine works great to stabilize the ethanol fuel and prolong storage times. Nothing else works as well for this function (Marine formulae has higher concentration of active ingredients).

For cleaning, PEA-based cleaners listed above works really well. I recommend putting in some every month to keep carbs and engine clean of deposits.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 333 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseIt
Thanks Hamlin6, Living here has been a pleasant surprise. We inherited my father-in-law's place and only meant to stay a year or two. Going on 6 years and looks like we'll be here awhile. Surprisingly, there's some great road riding in the region.
If you ever want a nice ride, do a search for "Tulip Trestle" and go check it out. There's a portion of the road that is gravel but it's a pretty site when you get there. That is my neck of the woods.

Old 03-22-2023, 01:19 PM

Know it well. I'm about an hour south, in Dubois county.

Quick Reply: New Member - 1988 Hurricane 1000