New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hello everyone.
I wanted to introduce myself. I picked up a 1992 F2 from a friend who's moving away. I paid $200. The bike was dumped in 1998 and has sat ever since. It came with all new plastics, the tank has been sanded too. I'm looking to do a street fighter build, possibly with knobby tires. Just wondering where I should start in terms of maintenance on a bike that's been sitting for so long. I'll be Changing the fluids obviously but past that, what other items should I look into? Electronics? Seals?... I'm a car guy with mechanic and body work skils. Thanks! I'm stoked on this project!
-Eric

Old 02-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well well what`s this now, new F2 owners are signing up in herds! me like

First off welcome in! And second wow that`s a steal even for a ratter!

For a bike that`s been sitting for such a long time you`d proly need to take a look at little bit of everything. The carbs will most definitely need opening and a thorough cleaning, inspect the carb boots for tears and dry rot, replace if in doubt, an air leak through a tear will get you chasing your tail and losing your hair while trying to figure out why it doesn`t run right, as you said ALL fluids including absorber oil and brake fluids, the brakes are probly if not seized then at least sticky so you`d probly wanna take a peek at the brake calipers, since you`re doing a fighter you`re probly putting dirty bars on it so you`ll probly need longer brake lines so get braided steels while you`re at it, take the plugs out and give a generous spray of WD-40 into the cylinders before attempting to turn it as there probly is some rust (what kinds of conditions have the bike sat in?)

The handlebar switchgears would probly appreciate a quick WD:ing as well, and since you`re opening them anyway it`s a good idea to check they actually work as they can be a little troublesome from time to time.

Also the CCT can give you woes on these things, some claim it`s not a good idea to put a manual tensioner in there but I`ve yet to hear of a single incident where a manual one would have caused any issues or damage if you don`t white-knuckle tighten it. So based on my own experience I`d say put a manual CCT in it.

What kind of mileage does it have? If it`s been sitting for so long the clutch can also be a bit sticky.

That should keep you busy for a while

Old 02-21-2016, 06:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Carbs will definitely need to be cleaned.

Probably new coils, plug wires, and obviously plugs.

Definitely need to replace brake fluid and would be good to rebuild calipers and M/C

Drain the oil, what does/did it look like?

A lot of stuff depends on what you want to do as far as the build...

Welcome to CBRF!

Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info!!

The bike sat in a garage since 2005 when my friend acquired it, not sure where it sat before that. The garage has a concrete floor and summers here are humid so I'm guessing there will be some corrosion in the nook and crannies. The exhaust has been removed along with the headers with rags stuffed into the holes. At least that let it breath a little. I don't know the mileage... somehow I've forgotten to check the last several times I looked at the bike. I offered my friend $200 for it 4 years ago after a night of drinking and he said yes. Then he called the next day and said his beer goggles clouded his judgement and said I could have it for $1000. He's a pilot and moved away a couple years ago and is just now putting his house up for sale. I asked again and he said "ya... you can have it for $200, I just need it out of the garage before someone buys the house."

What are your thoughts on knobby tires? I know it's not exactly the ideal bike for dirt roads but I like to get off the beaten path to explore areas to camp and fish. Maybe I should find a longer fork while I'm at it? Or will that mess up the geometry?

Here are a few pics of the bike.

New Member-img_1458.jpg

New Member-img_1459.jpg

New Member-img_1461.jpg

New Member-img_1463.jpg

New Member-img_1462.jpg

New Member-img_1464.jpg

Old 02-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Probly wouldn`t go full knobbies, some kind of ADV tires maybe?

Take a peek inside the tank as well, I bet it`s pretty rusty.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mattson
Probly wouldn`t go full knobbies, some kind of ADV tires maybe?

Take a peek inside the tank as well, I bet it`s pretty rusty.
For sure! There is a product I found that you dump in the tank and it eats away the rust. I can't remember the name of it now though.

Can you please move this thread to the new members area?
Thank you,
Eric

Old 02-24-2016, 03:26 PM

done

Old 02-25-2016, 04:04 AM
Welcome Crew

hello and welcome, keep us updated on your work, after being stood that long I would (myself) check everything

Old 02-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome!

Old 02-25-2016, 06:44 PM

I've been addicted to tumblr lately and all the fantastic custom bike blogs available on there. Not a lot of CBRs though..... I want to do something with the tank to throw off anyone who'd otherwise recognize it for what it is. I'm gonna have to dig deep to see what other tanks will fit the bike with minimal fabrication. I was thinking of adding new handlebars for a more upright seating position but after seeing Sacha Lakic's CX500.. I'm rethinking that idea. What a gorgeous bike!

Question, does anyone know of a cafe seat/seat cowl combo available for the 92 F2? I don't want to chop the seat frame because I will want the option to carry a passenger.
Sorry if my terminology is off.. I'm a noob. lol

Quick Reply: New Member