New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New kid from Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New kid from Jersey

Hey whatsup everyone?

My names Tom and I'm from New Jersey. I'm 18 and have loved bikes ever since I was a little kid and my dad took me for my first ride on his bike that's now been retired in my shed outside. I've been on and off these forums just looking around and learning everything I can because I just love CBR's, everything about them . I'll be taking my Advanced Rider Course in the spring, along with a track course a few weeks later.
Anyway, a little background info.. I took my Basic Riders Course at the end of July and finally got my license on August 3rd =D. But since I didn't have the capital at the time to buy my own motorcycle I really had no options to ride yet (considering the fact that my dad wants his bike to stay in the garage untouched). A month or two went by, and to my knowledge my girlfriends bosses brother loves bikes as much as I do as well. He wanted to meet up with me one day and talk about bikes, so I went into her job and talked with him. He was ecstatic to see and talk to me sharing our love for bikes, and he told me he wanted me to take out his bike for a ride, (a Buell Lightning xb12s, an 1203cc motorcycle) to see how it felt and to keep my skills up to par after my course. I love it. We now hang out on a weekly basis and he lets me take the Buell out every week, moreless whenever I get time just to ride. =D
All in all, I've been honing my skills on a 1203cc motorcycle, and around december I'll have the funds to finally buy my own. I know I definitely want a CBR, I'm just not sure if I want a 1000, or a 600. I want to spend a lot of time on the track becoming a better rider and being the best I can be. Some might say though, "get a 600, it's your first bike wahhh!" but you'd have to take into consideration that I've been riding a 1203cc motorcycle on a weekly basis and I've been so far so good with no problems.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone, hope for this to be my new home and make some new friends, see yall on the street!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a few things..
1 welcome
2 be safe use/wear your gear at all times
3 cause you have been "honing skills" on a 1200 buel does not mean you are ready for a 1000cc sport bike... (2 totally different animals)

i do not ride my 1100 or 1800 cruiser like i do my sport street or track bikes...

best advice especially if you want to get "alot of track time" under your belt.. get a 600

i have 6 1000's and always said i would never get a 600 cause i have been riding 20 years and the 1000 works well with me..

but i am looking for a 600 to build cause for the track IMO now its a better choice..

i am in NY on LI if you need help with anything let me know

Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Yeah thanks a lot bro. I'm on my blackberry so sorry for the horrible typing, lol. Yeah I know they're 2 completely different beasts. Which is why for about 3 months I've been debating about getting a 600 vs. A 1000. Because a cbr-1k will probably eat the lightning on the track(depends on the rider), its a hard decision bc I've never ridden anything else. can't really testride bikes, lol.. :'(

Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tom and welcome to CBRF, a very nice intro!! :-)

Good luck with whatever you decide to get, all I can say is take the best of care at all times...

Enjoy the forums and have fun!!

Jules :-)

Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the welcome Juliet. =D

In regards to my Blackberry post, I was thinking 600 originally because I didn't want to be the fool that starts off with a 1000cc bike, but after riding the lightning I guess I feel more safe now? I'm going to try and steal my friends ZX-6R for an hour or so see how that rides in comparison, hopefully soon because it's been nasty out over here. =(

Old 10-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Well i agree... learn on 600's... you would break in alot faster and learn quicker... and if you plan on track riding then a 1000 is not useless but a waste of money compared to a 600 (depending on the bike of course) because on most sport bike tracks with all the twist and turns you will never utilize all the power of a 1000cc because you will never be revving that high compared to a 600... and plus 600's (depending on the bike) are lighter and 'flickable' when you need to

Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015
Well i agree... learn on 600's... you would break in alot faster and learn quicker... and if you plan on track riding then a 1000 is not useless but a waste of money compared to a 600 (depending on the bike of course) because on most sport bike tracks with all the twist and turns you will never utilize all the power of a 1000cc because you will never be revving that high compared to a 600... and plus 600's (depending on the bike) are lighter and 'flickable' when you need to

Yeah, Idk. I guess it all depends on what size bike I find first when I have the money. If I can find a 1000 for an unbeatable price before I find a 600, then I'd pick that up. It all depends on what's available to me in a few months when I'm ready to buy. I really don't wanna wait though . =(

Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM

good luck on the search for a bike... just do some research b4 you go spending money on a 1000cc bike... find out what alot of the track guys use and recommend

Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM

^ Yup, I intend to as soon as I get my English homework done, haha. But yeah, my girlfriends cousin actually owns his own Bike shop not even 10 minutes from me. And his twin brother is supposedly a really good stunter, they said not to buy a bike without consulting them first, haha. =) I'm in good hands, I hope! O.o

Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi & welcome to CBRF!
Thanx for the intro,nice to hear you have taken an MSF course already and looking forwards to taking the advanced riders course.
As you're finding out,most everybody is recommending getting a 600 to start. Even though all the 600 SS made today are just as fast as the 1000s from 1000s 10-15yrs ago its still a better choice than the 1000.
Another thing to consider is the cost of insurance.
A 600SS for a 18yr old rider would be bad enough,but a 1000? The cost would be quite high. Just something to consider
Good luck and ride safe!

Quick Reply: New kid from Jersey