New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new kid on the block..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile new kid on the block..

Hello fellow internal combustion enthusiasts. My name is Dave, AKA (Dirty Dave) I love things that burn fuel and go fast, up or down & momentarily fly with or without wheels, tracks & gears or belts. 2 years ago, a guy i worked with,(Foreman) noticed I rode my bike to work everyday. He really noticed I rode my bike everyday when it rained, snowed, or was blustery. Through breakroom conversations he learned I bought a bike from another guy. a few days later, he asked me if I bought bikes. I said yes, sometimes, Usually non runners or fixers. He said," I got a Honda 600 I'd like to sell"... he asked me what a Honda 600 is worth? To which i replied "does it run? he said it does, But.. He had not started it for a couple years. I said what model is it? He said Honda cb 600. I assumed he meant the generic Cb 600 in line 4 street bike. I told him a 1987 Cb 600 in good condition running is probably in the $1000 range maybe more if well kept, maybe less if nodt running and rough shape.
He told me it was in good condition, just neede fresh fuel & carbs cleaned.
We made a time the next weekend to get togeather and check it out. I arrived at his house at the agreed upon time, and there was a Naked CBR600R in his driveway. I told my wife, "That's not A CB600, Its a hurricane! I bet the bodywork is thrashed and its tired. Most superbikes are...After a hour long discussion and him showing me every accessory possible & the perfect bodywork, plus the shop manuel with everything that had every been done or adjusted to it. I agreed to purchase the 1987 Honda CBR600R Hurricane with 7800 original miles on it, that needed the carbs cleaned & fresh fuel. 6 hours of love labor later. It started right up and ran flawlessly. I rode it to work 3 days later, and everyone was floored to see it running & superb condition. He bought it new, as did all his buddy's in the Air force in 1987. They all saw the Movie "Top Gun" & immediately went and bought CBR's. So now I have one, with every option imaginable from Honda.
That's how I became a CBR enthusiast. I am a reckless nut job with no natural fear of anything I know of...(Except My Government) However I do fear reducing the pristine condition of this bike, by using it to its full potential/ability. So... I only ride it on nice days and always pamper it.( not what Hopnda intended.) it is white with red stripes. Stunningly beautiful bike. Now its time to learn more about it. That's why I'm here, to learn.
That's my story and I'm glad there is a forum to share info about these righteous bikes..

Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 PM

Welcome to CBRF Dave. Glad to have you. You should post some pics of your bikes. There is a specific thread about hurricanes. You should check it out.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:19 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF dave. this is a nice story, glad you could get a nice deal on a nice bike.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's not the first time I've heard that I've heard about people buying hurricanes and mentioning Top Gun.

Prob is Maverick's bike in the movie was a Ninja - GPZ900R

Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Oh - and welcome to the forum - awesome find you got there! Pics plz!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

TLDR

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Default CBR information..

New kid here, AKA spotless 1987cbr, aka Dirty Dave, I'm wondering if there are any known issues with the '87CBR? Tuning, engine Mods, controls, etc?
The Guy I got it from has OCD and is a cleaning nut. I truly mean Spotless!!
This bike came with many upgrades already in place..Such as; Supertrapp Exhaust, Corbin "Gunfighter" seat, carbon fiber brakepads, stainless braided brake lines, Coyote sprockets & chain, K&N filters, Battery tender, (Battery is 12 years old and works great) Magnetic Honda tank bag, felt liner, storage cover, Blah, Blah, blah.... and many more things I can't even remember!!
It Runs great, But i do not know who did the engine upgrades/tuning, so I'm a little nervous about the burn. It has a very slight burble just off idle. I suspect it may just be needing a tank or 2 of fuel ran through it, as it sat for a couple years. With only 7800 miles on a 28 year old bike, it might just need a tune up. Does anybody know if there is a blue book value for something this old??
Thanks for any help from any one.
"If you are not on the Edge, you are not really racing".
A common sentiment from my snowmobile hillclimb racing days.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by spotless 1987cbr
Does anybody know if there is a blue book value for something this old??
Thanks for any help from any one.
KBB.com says $1350 retail value on 87 CBR600, with a $600 trade-in value.

nadaguides.com just has a 1990 and older section for older bikes - the CBR600F is listed at $2400 in Excellent, $1525 in Very Good, $725 Good, $300 Fair.