New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Kid

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kid

Hey everyone,

Just stopped in here to properly introduce myself and maybe get some opinions.
I've loved bikes since as long as I can remember; specifically the CBR. It's been my dream bike since day 1.

Turning 20 in a few months, and I'm looking to get a bike finally. My dad, who I can't thank enough for all the guidance he's given to me and is a bike enthusiast himself; is looking to throw some money towards it, and I'm covering the other half.

Not sure what to start out with, Im a really small dude, 5'10 but like 130 pounds maybe, I was looking at something small; but everyone says don't bother with a 125 ( which I'm mostly using for in town anyways) Go to the 250, or 600 for better price.

Anyone able to help?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey hey! 5' 10" & 130? Sounds like me if I skip lunch

People will tell you you'll get bored with a 250. I'll say "don't listen to them". You honestly can't go wrong with a 250cc. Starting out smaller, you'll get the chance to learn good habits and the right way to do things on a bike that's a lot more forgiving. And the Ninja 250 or CBR 250 will keep a decent resale value if well maintained.

You CAN start in a 600 and live. But it sounds like you've got a pretty good advisor already: your father. discuss it with him.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum well first thing I'd be doing is taking the MSF course.

As for the size thing - well I would not let that deter you - takes learning to ride a 250
or a 600

a 250 you'd probably outgrow relatively quickly the 600 not so much

But really it'll come down to level of comfort and what you feel you can handle
with confidence.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys

Definitely looking into the course; and having some stories to share with everyone. This forum looks like my home away from home, but I appreciate the opinions, see you around and stay safe

Old 12-14-2011, 04:31 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to the forum.

you will most likely start with older bike. you have to take into consideration that the older bikes (600 +) are heavy compared to newer bikes. im 5,9 and the f3 is the right size for me, i think. i sit on it with both feet on the ground.

you have to get what you are comfortable with. and listen to your father. good luck with the bike hunting.